Conspiracy or Coincidence: Lakers / Blazers? - Page 3 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2013, 12:43 AM   #31 (permalink)
Dynamic Duo
Photobucket
 
Jace's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Miami/Raleigh
Age: 29
Posts: 20,359
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Re: Conspiracy or Coincidence: Lakers / Blazers?

What you fail to realize is that Portland is a really bad team that has enough talent in enough of the right spots to squeak out victories on random nights. They're worse than their record. Have you ever heard of regression to the mean? It's happening in Manhattan right now, too. Perhaps that's a conspiracy to get the Pacers to the 2nd seed.

This is the NBA. Orlando and Phoenix aren't just going to lose every game because they're bad. Guys have good nights, guys have bad nights. Teams have to beat someone, and why not a bad team like Portland? Kevin Durant and LeBron James "allowed" their teams to lose to Washington. Pre-John Wall Washington. Since when is LMA a one-man, invincible machine?

Why are you rooting so hard against the Lakes? Isn't that tiring? It's definitely old.

Question: If it had been the Jazz who went on the losing streak instead of the Blazers, would there be no chance of a conspiracy because there's a state between UT and CA? I mean, no shared borders. How could they communicate?
__________________
Jace's soundcloud
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #32 (permalink)
Tangible
 
Adam's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Age: 28
Posts: 13,535
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Re: Conspiracy or Coincidence: Lakers / Blazers?

This guy is the new Ballscientist and he can actually speak English. I just hope he can keep up this level of production without getting sick of it.
__________________


Quote:
Jeremy Tyler was in Portland for a pre-draft workout on Thursday and was asked about Blazers coach Nate McMillan. “Nate McMillan,” he said. “No … What college is that?”
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:16 PM   #33 (permalink)
You think you know me
 
jaw2929's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 395
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Conspiracy or Coincidence: Lakers / Blazers?

OP is full of nonsense. I still don't believe the Lakers will reach the Playoffs this year.
jaw2929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #34 (permalink)
All-Star
 
e-monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,992
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Re: Conspiracy or Coincidence: Lakers / Blazers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
Way to go Stern! The Blazers now currently hold the largest losing streak of 7, and the franchise-of-the-NBA Lakers can now focus on the 8th spot and Kobe's declaration that his Lakers will make the playoffs will WOW your NBA audience.
not that I take any of your posts seriously but CP3. - if Stern really did want to put the fix in for the Lakers....

/.closed
e-monk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:06 PM   #35 (permalink)
BBB.net archivist
Photobucket
 
Jamel Irief's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2002
Location: SoCal
Age: 97
Posts: 24,958
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1758 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
What you fail to realize is that Portland is a really bad team that has enough talent in enough of the right spots to squeak out victories on random nights. They're worse than their record. Have you ever heard of regression to the mean? It's happening in Manhattan right now, too. Perhaps that's a conspiracy to get the Pacers to the 2nd seed.

This is the NBA. Orlando and Phoenix aren't just going to lose every game because they're bad. Guys have good nights, guys have bad nights. Teams have to beat someone, and why not a bad team like Portland? Kevin Durant and LeBron James "allowed" their teams to lose to Washington. Pre-John Wall Washington. Since when is LMA a one-man, invincible machine?

Why are you rooting so hard against the Lakes? Isn't that tiring? It's definitely old.

Question: If it had been the Jazz who went on the losing streak instead of the Blazers, would there be no chance of a conspiracy because there's a state between UT and CA? I mean, no shared borders. How could they communicate?
Why are you encouraging him?


Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
__________________
Jamel Irief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:15 AM   #36 (permalink)
#100K
Photobucket
 
Basel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Parts Unknown
Age: 28
Posts: 101,619
Mentioned: 1991 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5839 Post(s)
I can't believe this thread has over 30 replies.
__________________
MPT: We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Basel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #37 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Conspiracy or Coincidence: Lakers / Blazers?

Well well... Guess what?

The 8th standing Houston Rockets have just lost to the Washington Wizards. Yeah yeah, I know John Wall is back, but I still smell fish! : ) lol

Seems like the fixers will have Golden State, Utah, or Houston lose a few games to allow the Lakers that 8th spot. They may even be cleverly subtle by fixing it so the Lakers reach the 7th standing so fans will say "Oh, it wasn't even close so how can it be rigged."

Here's the math:

Super duper hype for months about how the Lakers will not make the playoffs.

+

Simulation after simulation about how improbable it is for the Lakers to win enough games to make the playoffs.

+

Blazers allow the Lakers to take their 9th standing by going on a 7 game losing streak losing to the Suns and Orlando INSTEAD of fighting to reach the 8th standing.

+

The Lakers make the playoffs.

=

RIGGED
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #38 (permalink)
God
 
hobojoe's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 68,115
Mentioned: 1442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Re: Conspiracy or Coincidence: Lakers / Blazers?

You're right, it screams conspiracy every time a team that loses around 50% of its games loses a game.
hobojoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #39 (permalink)
All-Star
 
e-monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 7,992
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Re: Conspiracy or Coincidence: Lakers / Blazers?

wouldnt it have been easier for Stern just to let Dell Demps make the Paul trade in the first place?
e-monk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #40 (permalink)
Teddy Time!
Photobucket
 
Knick Killer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,745
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Re: Conspiracy or Coincidence: Lakers / Blazers?

Instead of commenting how stupid you think this thread is, why don't one of you mods close it? Most sites wouldn't let shit like this go and we shouldn't either. It makes this place look bad.
Knick Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #41 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Conspiracy or Coincidence: Lakers / Blazers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobojoe View Post
You're right, it screams conspiracy every time a team that loses around 50% of its games loses a game.
No, it screams conspiracy that the Lakers now have a great shot at making the playoffs after the media had bombarded and insulted our intelligence with hours and hours of discussion about how the Lakers won't make the playoffs.

The fact that Portland all of a sudden goes on a 7 game losing spree and now Houston is losing to under 500 teams scream conspiracy.

Last season the NBA made millions from the shortened season by giving us all the Jeremy Lin hype. Creating Lin hype allowed the NBA to make up for the lost revenue due to the lockout.

This season their gimmick seems to be making so much hype about how a renown Lakers team with Kobe Bryant and two other future hall-of-famers won't make the playoffs, only so that the Lakers do finally make the playoffs and of course the NBA reaps the profits from the heightened viewership.
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #42 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Conspiracy or Coincidence: Lakers / Blazers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knick Killer View Post
Instead of commenting how stupid you think this thread is, why don't one of you mods close it? Most sites wouldn't let shit like this go and we shouldn't either. It makes this place look bad.
Why would mods not allow free speech if it harms no one? Also, the topic of discussion is relevant to basketball. My topic happens to be about the thought of NBA games being rigged. Not trying to sound like a smarty pants, but in case you are unaware, rigging games in sports is not unheard of.

I think the whole hype about the Lakers' not making the playoffs is just a gimmick to increase viewership and ultimately revenue. Just my two cents! No hard feelings.
JBKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #43 (permalink)
Teddy Time!
Photobucket
 
Knick Killer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 11,745
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Cause you're a clown.


Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Knick Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #44 (permalink)
BBB.net archivist
Photobucket
 
Jamel Irief's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2002
Location: SoCal
Age: 97
Posts: 24,958
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1758 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
Why would mods not allow free speech if it harms no one? Also, the topic of discussion is relevant to basketball. My topic happens to be about the thought of NBA games being rigged. Not trying to sound like a smarty pants, but in case you are unaware, rigging games in sports is not unheard of.

I think the whole hype about the Lakers' not making the playoffs is just a gimmick to increase viewership and ultimately revenue. Just my two cents! No hard feelings.
Because no one likes your posts. Ballscientist actually believes what he writes.

Oh wait.

Good discussion.
__________________
Jamel Irief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #45 (permalink)
God
 
hobojoe's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 68,115
Mentioned: 1442 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Re: Conspiracy or Coincidence: Lakers / Blazers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBKB View Post
No, it screams conspiracy that the Lakers now have a great shot at making the playoffs after the media had bombarded and insulted our intelligence with hours and hours of discussion about how the Lakers won't make the playoffs.

The fact that Portland all of a sudden goes on a 7 game losing spree and now Houston is losing to under 500 teams scream conspiracy.

Last season the NBA made millions from the shortened season by giving us all the Jeremy Lin hype. Creating Lin hype allowed the NBA to make up for the lost revenue due to the lockout.

This season their gimmick seems to be making so much hype about how a renown Lakers team with Kobe Bryant and two other future hall-of-famers won't make the playoffs, only so that the Lakers do finally make the playoffs and of course the NBA reaps the profits from the heightened viewership.
Houston is 12-19 on the road and Washington is 3 games over .500 with John Wall. Yesterday's result should surprise nobody.
hobojoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:42 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 — 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1