The Gun Debate - Page 4 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What is your view on the gun debate?
Ban Assault Rifles 8 33.33%
Ban All Guns 4 16.67%
Bullet Control 2 8.33%
Keep the Laws the Same 5 20.83%
Other 5 20.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #46 (permalink)
God, this place makes me frisky!
Photobucket
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Duluth, MN
Age: 24
Posts: 14,853
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Re: The Gun Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt_The_Stilt View Post
The intent was to allow people to protect themselves. You still haven't answered why people shouldn't be able to have "assault weapons"
How does someone need an assault rifle to protect themselves? Are there a lot of people/groups out there laying siege to households where we need an assault rifle to protect your home? How does someone need a sniper rifle to protect themselves? Is someone going to shack up in a sniper nest to make sure no one trespasses on their property?

People don't need to have assault weapons. In everyday life in this country, there is nothing that requires our citizens to be arming themselves with assault rifles or sniper rifles. I am for concealed weapon permits with handguns because at least in that case there are statistics backing up the fact that it can lower crime rates. This is not the Apocalypse where one might need to arm themselves with a sniper/assault rifle to protect themselves.
__________________


2032 KVBL Champions
2033 KVBL Champions
2040 KVBL Champions
2047 KVBL Champions

Fear the Deer
Minnesota Timberwolves
Bubbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #47 (permalink)
God, this place makes me frisky!
Photobucket
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Duluth, MN
Age: 24
Posts: 14,853
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Re: The Gun Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt_The_Stilt View Post
Wow. More race baiting. From a mod no less. Tisk Tisk. Are you going to get a demerit or is that just for people who don't agree with your politics?

Still no answer.
What I said is not race baiting. I'm simply pointing out a clause that was included in the Constitution that has since then become irrelevant. Not everything in the Constitution stands the test of time.
__________________


2032 KVBL Champions
2033 KVBL Champions
2040 KVBL Champions
2047 KVBL Champions

Fear the Deer
Minnesota Timberwolves
Bubbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #48 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,289
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Re: The Gun Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
How does someone need an assault rifle to protect themselves? Are there a lot of people/groups out there laying siege to households where we need an assault rifle to protect your home? How does someone need a sniper rifle to protect themselves? Is someone going to shack up in a sniper nest to make sure no one trespasses on their property?

People don't need to have assault weapons. In everyday life in this country, there is nothing that requires our citizens to be arming themselves with assault rifles or sniper rifles. I am for concealed weapon permits with handguns because at least in that case there are statistics backing up the fact that it can lower crime rates. This is not the Apocalypse where one might need to arm themselves with a sniper/assault rifle to protect themselves.
In other words, because you say so.
__________________
"We've learned Kobe Bryant has been asked to run the Federal Reserve. The feeling is, he can do more with three quarters than most of us can do with a whole dollar."
--Peter Vescey, NY Post
Wilt_The_Stilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #49 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,289
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Re: The Gun Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
What I said is not race baiting. I'm simply pointing out a clause that was included in the Constitution that has since then become irrelevant. Not everything in the Constitution stands the test of time.
Explain this to me:
Quote:
Should we go back to counting non-whites worth three-fifths of their actual numbers? Then maybe you can have some more politicians in office who are more apt to think like you do when it comes to guns.
__________________
"We've learned Kobe Bryant has been asked to run the Federal Reserve. The feeling is, he can do more with three quarters than most of us can do with a whole dollar."
--Peter Vescey, NY Post
Wilt_The_Stilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #50 (permalink)
God, this place makes me frisky!
Photobucket
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Duluth, MN
Age: 24
Posts: 14,853
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Re: The Gun Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt_The_Stilt View Post
In other words, because you say so.
No. I'm pointing logical inconsistencies with having said weapons legal. Please explain why those weapons are necessary in everyday life in this country. Just wanting to have them is not reason. Protection can't be the reason either because if people want to protect themselves in their home they could have a concealed weapon permit for a handgun to do, or they could even have a hunting rifle or a shotgun. Please provide all of us with a good example of where it would be absolutely necessary to have an assault rifle or sniper rifle in your possession.
__________________


2032 KVBL Champions
2033 KVBL Champions
2040 KVBL Champions
2047 KVBL Champions

Fear the Deer
Minnesota Timberwolves
Bubbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #51 (permalink)
God, this place makes me frisky!
Photobucket
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Duluth, MN
Age: 24
Posts: 14,853
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Re: The Gun Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt_The_Stilt View Post
Explain this to me:
That's what people in the literary world call a "hyperbole" or in other words an exaggerated statement. In this case I used a hyperbole to point out the silliness of holding onto some dated concepts of the original Constitution.
__________________


2032 KVBL Champions
2033 KVBL Champions
2040 KVBL Champions
2047 KVBL Champions

Fear the Deer
Minnesota Timberwolves
Bubbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #52 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,289
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Re: The Gun Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
No. I'm pointing logical inconsistencies with having said weapons legal. Please explain why those weapons are necessary in everyday life in this country. Just wanting to have them is not reason. Protection can't be the reason either because if people want to protect themselves in their home they could have a concealed weapon permit for a handgun to do, or they could even have a hunting rifle or a shotgun. Please provide all of us with a good example of where it would be absolutely necessary to have an assault rifle or sniper rifle in your possession.
So something has to be necessary in everyday life to be legal? Wow.

And why can't people use assault weapons to defend themselves? Because you say it's bad?
__________________
"We've learned Kobe Bryant has been asked to run the Federal Reserve. The feeling is, he can do more with three quarters than most of us can do with a whole dollar."
--Peter Vescey, NY Post
Wilt_The_Stilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #53 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,289
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Re: The Gun Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
That's what people in the literary world call a "hyperbole" or in other words an exaggerated statement. In this case I used a hyperbole to point out the silliness of holding onto some dated concepts of the original Constitution.
Why would the 3/5 clause lead to politicians who think like me?
__________________
"We've learned Kobe Bryant has been asked to run the Federal Reserve. The feeling is, he can do more with three quarters than most of us can do with a whole dollar."
--Peter Vescey, NY Post
Wilt_The_Stilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #54 (permalink)
God, this place makes me frisky!
Photobucket
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Duluth, MN
Age: 24
Posts: 14,853
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Re: The Gun Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt_The_Stilt View Post
So something has to be necessary in everyday life to be legal? Wow.

And why can't people use assault weapons to defend themselves? Because you say it's bad?
So in other words you can't think of a good example where it would be necessary in that moment to have those weapons in your possession. People can have handguns, shotguns, hunting rifles, crossbows, longbows, knives, swords, machetes, etc. to defend themselves. Why is it necessary at that point for assault/sniper rifles to be legal? We have all kinds of things at our disposal to defend ourselves adequately. Banning assault/sniper rifles won't change that.
__________________


2032 KVBL Champions
2033 KVBL Champions
2040 KVBL Champions
2047 KVBL Champions

Fear the Deer
Minnesota Timberwolves
Bubbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #55 (permalink)
God, this place makes me frisky!
Photobucket
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Duluth, MN
Age: 24
Posts: 14,853
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Re: The Gun Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt_The_Stilt View Post
Why would the 3/5 clause lead to politicians who think like me?
Do you really not understand what a hyperbole is?
__________________


2032 KVBL Champions
2033 KVBL Champions
2040 KVBL Champions
2047 KVBL Champions

Fear the Deer
Minnesota Timberwolves
Bubbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #56 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,289
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Re: The Gun Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
So in other words you can't think of a good example where it would be necessary in that moment to have those weapons in your possession. People can have handguns, shotguns, hunting rifles, crossbows, longbows, knives, swords, machetes, etc. to defend themselves. Why is it necessary at that point for assault/sniper rifles to be legal? We have all kinds of things at our disposal to defend ourselves adequately. Banning assault/sniper rifles won't change that.
That's not a reason to get rid of them.

Why is it bad for someone to own an assault weapon? Who is it harming? Sure they could use it to harm somebody else but they can use everything else you listed to do it too.

The underlying issue is that it is silly to try and distinguish between good guns and bad guns. It only takes 1 bullet to kill somebody and furthermore the efforts to ban them won't work and will have counterproductive consequences.
__________________
"We've learned Kobe Bryant has been asked to run the Federal Reserve. The feeling is, he can do more with three quarters than most of us can do with a whole dollar."
--Peter Vescey, NY Post
Wilt_The_Stilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #57 (permalink)
God, this place makes me frisky!
Photobucket
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Duluth, MN
Age: 24
Posts: 14,853
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Re: The Gun Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt_The_Stilt View Post
That's not a reason to get rid of them.

Why is it bad for someone to own an assault weapon? Who is it harming? Sure they could use it to harm somebody else but they can use everything else you listed to do it too.

The underlying issue is that it is silly to try and distinguish between good guns and bad guns. It only takes 1 bullet to kill somebody and furthermore the efforts to ban them won't work and will have counterproductive consequences.
Who is it harming? How about Newton, Connecticut or Aurora, Colorado for starters?
__________________


2032 KVBL Champions
2033 KVBL Champions
2040 KVBL Champions
2047 KVBL Champions

Fear the Deer
Minnesota Timberwolves
Bubbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #58 (permalink)
Through The Wire
Photobucket
 
bball2223's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Mitten
Age: 24
Posts: 21,000
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Re: The Gun Debate

Ban all assualt rifles. I do not think banning all guns is the answer, but weapons like the one used in last Friday's shooting should not be allowed to be purchased.
bball2223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #59 (permalink)
Star
 

Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 4,289
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Re: The Gun Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince View Post
Who is it harming? How about Newton, Connecticut or Aurora, Colorado for starters?
The weapon used in Connecticut was legal under the assault weapon ban and the vast majority of homicides where a gun was used involve handguns.
__________________
"We've learned Kobe Bryant has been asked to run the Federal Reserve. The feeling is, he can do more with three quarters than most of us can do with a whole dollar."
--Peter Vescey, NY Post
Wilt_The_Stilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #60 (permalink)
God, this place makes me frisky!
Photobucket
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Duluth, MN
Age: 24
Posts: 14,853
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Re: The Gun Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt_The_Stilt View Post
The weapon used in Connecticut was legal under the assault weapon ban and the vast majority of homicides where a gun was used involve handguns.
You asked me who it was harming and I gave you some examples. Whether or not the weapon was legal or not under a defunct law is irrelevant. And if a ban is passed on assault rifles, it stands to reason that the weapon used in Connecticut will be included in the ban.
__________________


2032 KVBL Champions
2033 KVBL Champions
2040 KVBL Champions
2047 KVBL Champions

Fear the Deer
Minnesota Timberwolves
Bubbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:17 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1