RWE's Random Questions, Part 6 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
Never Argue with a Fool
Photobucket
 
RollWithEm's Avatar
 
Space Invaders Champion! Tetris Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Breakout Champion!
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 59,619
Mentioned: 410 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2021 Post(s)
Question RWE's Random Questions, Part 6

One more:

Where do you stand on the issue of piracy? Have you ever done it? Do you still do it? Do you buy bootlegs? How do you think it has affected the music and movie industries? What do you think a reasonable punishment should be for a person caught pirating, if any?
__________________
But that's just me.

RWE's Random Questions: (Close Friends, Virginity, Home-Schooling, Wiretapping, Cheating, Piracy, Reality TV)
RWE's Movie Rankings: (Coen Brothers, Stanley Kubrick, Top 90 of the 90's)
RWE's Player Analysis: (Nikola Vučević, Damian Lillard, Jonas Valančiūnas, Evan Turner)
RWE's Underground Update - RWE's SciFi Corner
RWE's Smash Central - RWE's Culinary Cul de Sac

2015 FRSL Champion New Orleans Jazz
Lawson - Thabo - Thad - Brow - Big Al - Manu - Jayson
RollWithEm is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-03-2013, 05:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Never Argue with a Fool
Photobucket
 
RollWithEm's Avatar
 
Space Invaders Champion! Tetris Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Breakout Champion!
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 59,619
Mentioned: 410 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2021 Post(s)
Talking Re: RWE's Random Questions, Part 6

BTW, this is the spectacular ad that got me thinking about this in the first place:

__________________
But that's just me.

RWE's Random Questions: (Close Friends, Virginity, Home-Schooling, Wiretapping, Cheating, Piracy, Reality TV)
RWE's Movie Rankings: (Coen Brothers, Stanley Kubrick, Top 90 of the 90's)
RWE's Player Analysis: (Nikola Vučević, Damian Lillard, Jonas Valančiūnas, Evan Turner)
RWE's Underground Update - RWE's SciFi Corner
RWE's Smash Central - RWE's Culinary Cul de Sac

2015 FRSL Champion New Orleans Jazz
Lawson - Thabo - Thad - Brow - Big Al - Manu - Jayson
RollWithEm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
Photobucket
 
Hyperion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 602
Posts: 18,716
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Re: RWE's Random Questions, Part 6

Piracy is what law abiding citizens do when the government interferes with free trade.

How can it be legal for there to be a blockbuster video where I pay someone to watch their copy of another's movie but I can't merely download it for personal use? How can it be legal that someone sells me a used CD then gives none of the profits to the artist yet me doing the same without the middleman is problematic?

Piracy only exists because the corporations haven't figured out how to be profitable through free music. They're learning now. Just look at concert ticket prices. They're even putting on large events. IHeartRadio is ClearChannel rebranded. The technology exists that would allow for complete vertical integration of music and movies but the companies just don't want to change their paradigm.
__________________
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...."

"The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam*Ron View Post
Anyway, gotta get back to the money. Holla at you lames another day.
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Community Moderator
Photobucket
 
Dornado's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: WI
Posts: 13,237
Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Re: RWE's Random Questions, Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
Piracy is what law abiding citizens do when the government interferes with free trade.

How can it be legal for there to be a blockbuster video where I pay someone to watch their copy of another's movie but I can't merely download it for personal use? How can it be legal that someone sells me a used CD then gives none of the profits to the artist yet me doing the same without the middleman is problematic?


Piracy only exists because the corporations haven't figured out how to be profitable through free music. They're learning now. Just look at concert ticket prices. They're even putting on large events. IHeartRadio is ClearChannel rebranded. The technology exists that would allow for complete vertical integration of music and movies but the companies just don't want to change their paradigm.
You really don't see the difference in those scenarios? In the case of blockbuster, the rental company pays for the right to rent out those videos, so those that created the work of art are compensated. You downloading it for free from someone else who is distributing it to an enormous amount of people for free (and who likely only paid enough to get the DVD for personal use) is far different, isn't it? Similarly, a person who sells you a used CD has a product that was purchased at some point... if the creators are compensated at the point of purchase then it doesn't matter whether the person re-sells that one item... online piracy is more like me buying a CD, making a bunch of copies of that CD, and then selling those copies for a profit. Dornado's burned-CD emporium would be stealing their intellectual property, just selling my copy of a CD I bought wouldn't.
__________________
Dornado is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
#TeamKobe
Photobucket
 
Basel's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Parts Unknown
Age: 28
Posts: 98,037
Mentioned: 1768 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Re: RWE's Random Questions, Part 6

I'm sure if I was a musical artist or actor, I wouldn't like the idea of piracy. But I'm not and if I can find a way to get a movie or album free, I'll do it.
__________________
MPT: We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Basel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
Photobucket
 
Hyperion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 602
Posts: 18,716
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Re: RWE's Random Questions, Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dornado View Post
You really don't see the difference in those scenarios? In the case of blockbuster, the rental company pays for the right to rent out those videos, so those that created the work of art are compensated. You downloading it for free from someone else who is distributing it to an enormous amount of people for free (and who likely only paid enough to get the DVD for personal use) is far different, isn't it? Similarly, a person who sells you a used CD has a product that was purchased at some point... if the creators are compensated at the point of purchase then it doesn't matter whether the person re-sells that one item... online piracy is more like me buying a CD, making a bunch of copies of that CD, and then selling those copies for a profit. Dornado's burned-CD emporium would be stealing their intellectual property, just selling my copy of a CD I bought wouldn't.
So if I bought a copy of 10 DVDs of a particular movie, I can let people watch one of them over and over again while charging them but not giving money to the studio? Or are you arguing that because the studios are complicit and facilitating the rental industry its okay? I remember a time when they weren't okay with movie rental stores. So does that make them pirates too?

You look at used CD stores and tell me where the cut of the profit is for the studio when a CD gets ripped onto your computer (legal) and then sold to a secondhand store (legal) which is then sold to another person at a profit (legal). In all of this, the music company receives only ONE payment. The secondhand store is selling copies of the music company's music WITHOUT paying royalties.

Now on to that digital copy. Is it legal for you to keep that copy of a CD even though you don't have that album anymore?
__________________
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...."

"The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam*Ron View Post
Anyway, gotta get back to the money. Holla at you lames another day.
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
God, this place makes me frisky!
Photobucket
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Duluth, MN
Age: 24
Posts: 14,641
Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Re: RWE's Random Questions, Part 6

I have never bought a CD in my life.
__________________


2032 KVBL Champions
2033 KVBL Champions
2040 KVBL Champions
2047 KVBL Champions

Fear the Deer
Minnesota Timberwolves
Bubbles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
Werewolf Bar Mitzvah
Photobucket
 
Hyperion's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 602
Posts: 18,716
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Re: RWE's Random Questions, Part 6

You have always had high speed internet too I bet. Music before Napster was a whole lot more difficult to get ahold of without buying the CD.
__________________
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in rain...."

"The light that burns twice as bright burns for half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam*Ron View Post
Anyway, gotta get back to the money. Holla at you lames another day.
Hyperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Resident Arachnid of the MPT
 
SpiderInThePastaBowl's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 18,895
Mentioned: 759 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Re: RWE's Random Questions, Part 6

I have occasionally grabbed a sports stream but that's it.

I've paid for Richmond's sports stream (~$100/year) but then they black out a bunch of the best home games, and they don't tell you that beforehand. The A-10's TV deal is truly awful.

In that case, I have zero guilt about pirating the stream, since it was stolen from me to begin with.
SpiderInThePastaBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Star
 
l0st1's Avatar
 
2010 Mahjong Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,921
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Re: RWE's Random Questions, Part 6

The biggest thing I "Pirate" would be television shows, because I find it obnoxious to try and figure out the ever changing tv schedules and then have to get a TiVo/dvr to record every show. So, I download them. But I don't think downloading TV shows is illegal(anyone know?) since the majority of shows are streamed on their websites, and I mean DVRs are basically the same shit anyway.
l0st1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Banned Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Largo,Fl
Age: 23
Posts: 15,209
Mentioned: 725 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Re: RWE's Random Questions, Part 6

Done a couple of UFC streams that's all. One ruined my computer though. Got a bad virus
LeGoat06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Never Argue with a Fool
Photobucket
 
RollWithEm's Avatar
 
Space Invaders Champion! Tetris Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Breakout Champion!
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 59,619
Mentioned: 410 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2021 Post(s)
Re: RWE's Random Questions, Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0st1 View Post
The biggest thing I "Pirate" would be television shows, because I find it obnoxious to try and figure out the ever changing tv schedules and then have to get a TiVo/dvr to record every show. So, I download them. But I don't think downloading TV shows is illegal(anyone know?) since the majority of shows are streamed on their websites, and I mean DVRs are basically the same shit anyway.
I think that's a pretty fuzzy line.
__________________
But that's just me.

RWE's Random Questions: (Close Friends, Virginity, Home-Schooling, Wiretapping, Cheating, Piracy, Reality TV)
RWE's Movie Rankings: (Coen Brothers, Stanley Kubrick, Top 90 of the 90's)
RWE's Player Analysis: (Nikola Vučević, Damian Lillard, Jonas Valančiūnas, Evan Turner)
RWE's Underground Update - RWE's SciFi Corner
RWE's Smash Central - RWE's Culinary Cul de Sac

2015 FRSL Champion New Orleans Jazz
Lawson - Thabo - Thad - Brow - Big Al - Manu - Jayson
RollWithEm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #13 (permalink)
Star
 
l0st1's Avatar
 
2010 Mahjong Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,921
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Re: RWE's Random Questions, Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollWithEm View Post
I think that's a pretty fuzzy line.
I haven't heard of any cases of people pirating television shows and being prosecuted or fined. Feel like it's pretty hard to enforce. I mean I realize me downloading a show vs having a DVR/TIVO record means I'm not being registered as a "viewer" for their ratings. But that's about the only difference I can think of.
l0st1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Star
 
l0st1's Avatar
 
2010 Mahjong Champion! Helicopter2 Champion!
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,921
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 546 Post(s)
Re: RWE's Random Questions, Part 6

Pretty interesting quote by Dave Grohl...

l0st1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:19 AM   #15 (permalink)
Never Argue with a Fool
Photobucket
 
RollWithEm's Avatar
 
Space Invaders Champion! Tetris Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Breakout Champion!
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 59,619
Mentioned: 410 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2021 Post(s)
Re: RWE's Random Questions, Part 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0st1 View Post
I haven't heard of any cases of people pirating television shows and being prosecuted or fined. Feel like it's pretty hard to enforce. I mean I realize me downloading a show vs having a DVR/TIVO record means I'm not being registered as a "viewer" for their ratings. But that's about the only difference I can think of.
Right. That's why it's fuzzy. Those shows base the vast majority of their decisions off ratings. You are watching them without contributing to that number (or buying a DVD).
__________________
But that's just me.

RWE's Random Questions: (Close Friends, Virginity, Home-Schooling, Wiretapping, Cheating, Piracy, Reality TV)
RWE's Movie Rankings: (Coen Brothers, Stanley Kubrick, Top 90 of the 90's)
RWE's Player Analysis: (Nikola Vučević, Damian Lillard, Jonas Valančiūnas, Evan Turner)
RWE's Underground Update - RWE's SciFi Corner
RWE's Smash Central - RWE's Culinary Cul de Sac

2015 FRSL Champion New Orleans Jazz
Lawson - Thabo - Thad - Brow - Big Al - Manu - Jayson
RollWithEm is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 PM.



User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1