|12-02-2003, 11:17 AM||#1 (permalink)|
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NMSU Aggies vs. UNM Lobos
Aggies Begin Rivalry Week with the Lobos on Wednesday Night
Aggies and Lobos Clash for the 191st Time
Dec. 2, 2003
Las Cruces, NM -
The oldest rivalry in school history will take place on Wednesday, December 3rd, as the Aggies' in-state rival New Mexico makes their way to Las Cruces, N.M., for the 191st meeting between the two schools.
The Lobos are currently 2-1 on the season under second year head coach Ritchie McKay. David Chiotti leads the Lobos in scoring with 20.0 points a contest, followed closely by Javin Tindell with 19.3.
The Aggies are on a two game winning streak against their rivals from the north, winning both games last season.
The Aggies took a thriller in Las Cruces last season without James Moore and Chris Jackson. The Aggies took their first lead of the game with just under :30 to go in the game. NMSU would hold on for the victory 59-58. Brandon Mason lead the Aggies with 20 points. In Albuquerque 15 days later, the Aggies won their first game at the Pit since the 2000-01, with a 72-60 win.
"I have a lot of respect for Ritchie McKay. He has done a great job at every place he has been and we know his team will be competitive," Henson said. "When you look at New Mexico, the first thing you have to look at is Ruben Douglas. He is a fine basketball player that can beat you many ways. I think the two ball clubs are very similar and I think this will be a great game."
New Mexico State holds a 54-38 record over the Lobos in Las Cruces, with both teams owning a winning streak of 19 straight games over the years. Head coach Lou Henson is 14-16 against the Lobos.
The two teams have battled to nine overtime games and 60 of the 190 contests have been decided by less then five points.
* At home the Aggies are 54-38 over the Lobos.
* On the road, NMSU is only 33-62 versus New Mexico in Albuquerque.
* New Mexico won the first seven games in the series dating from 1904-1915. The Aggies would win their first game against the Lobos in the 1915-16 season 37-34 in Albuquerque.
* Both teams hold 19 game winning streaks in the series.
* The Aggies have not lost three games in a row since the 1997-98 (2) and 1998-99 seasons.
* Henson's record against the Lobos is 14-16.
* The Aggies are 1-0 against the Lobos in post season play. The two teams met in the NCAA tournament in 1968 as the Aggies won 62-58.
for many years now, i have seen these games. this year seems to be up in the air, but i think my aggies will take it by 3. why? the pan american center has the panamaniacs.
...the hills send back the cry,
we're here to do or die...
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|