Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums - View Single Post - 2018-2019 Saint Joseph's Hawks
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2019, 08:28 AM   #55 (permalink)
JonBoy
Player

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Re: 2018-2019 Saint Joseph's Hawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhawk13 View Post
Our expectations are not to lose 20 games in years where we don't make the tourney. I think newer A10 fans see 2014 and 2016 and say "what's wrong?" when they don't look at the 6 year gap between 2008 and 2014, twenty loss seasons in 2010, 2011, and 2017, a near 20 loss season in 2015, and meltdowns in 2012 and 2013,.

We have resources that will become available with the next coach as long as there is a real vision that is promoted. Phil always says how VCU has a goal every year of going to the final four but "that's just not the way it is here" and 1) why not? and 2) then what should our goal be?

It is time. It just is. I can separate Phil the man from Phil the coach. The question is whether Phil can separate SJU the employer and SJU the institution.

Further, Saint Joseph's basketball was around and successful for a lot longer than Phil has been there. I know that some, especially those newer to the league, think Phil turned a turd into something that was better than a turd, but they just don't know. And yes the landscape has changed but I assure that we have resources that do not want to give to this vision, which doesn't exist.
This is true. I didn't have a lot of knowledge of SJU basketball before VCU came to the A10. I had some, but not nearly as much as I do now. FWIW, I've seen SJU as a should-be perennial top tier program in the league. The injuries the last couple seasons seem to have given them a pass and I didn't think that was reflective of where the team was. I also agree with your questions of why not and then what? That is what SJU should be asking.
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote