Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums - View Single Post - 2018-2019 Saint Joseph's Hawks
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 07:19 AM   #77 (permalink)
BrownIndians85
Star

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1287 Post(s)
Re: 2018-2019 Saint Joseph's Hawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienAiden View Post
I guess firing Phil and bringing in a new coach is needed but the firing is not going to be looked upon as a good move. Phil is the Dean and giving him the boot might get messy.
Two ways to look at it - Phil is well-respected in college basketball. You make that departure as un-messy as possible by handling it internally and Phil steps down on his own. You can't unceremoniously dump Phil or the powers that be see that in a bad light.

Or, if Phil chooses to make it messy, you fire him, and it's a signal to up and coming coaches that this school just let go the Dean, they expect success, they're going to give me what I want to put a quality basketball product on the court, they don't have football, I want to interview for the SJU job.

Since I would imagine SJU is not going to be a destination for an established coach, I think firing Phil works out OK. For his sake, I hope he reads the writing and steps down.