Outbound Transfers Catch-All Thread - Page 12 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Like Tree632Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 08:33 AM   #166 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,763
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Re: Outbound Transfers Catch-All Thread

Does anyone know the current status of Jordan Clarke? I check the Drake roster on ESPN and he is nowhere to be found.
dnapolit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-13-2010, 08:39 AM   #167 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 32,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5364 Post(s)
Re: Outbound Transfers Catch-All Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnapolit View Post
Does anyone know the current status of Jordan Clarke? I check the Drake roster on ESPN and he is nowhere to be found.
He's at Drake, on their roster:

http://www.godrakebulldogs.com/Sport...21&SPSID=71123
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
UMBC Men's Basketball 2018 & UVM Men's Basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #168 (permalink)
Star
 
Will's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 2,644
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Re: Outbound Transfers Catch-All Thread

Quinnipiac University received a commitment from transfer swingman Garvey Young last week.

Young played the first two years of his college career at the University of Vermont, making 50 stars in 64 games. As a freshman he was named to the America East All-Rookie Team after averaging 6.0 points and 3.0 rebounds per game. This season Young averaged 7.4 points and 4.0 rebounds for a Vermont team that captured the America East championship and went on to the NCAA Tournament and was named to the America East All-Defensive and All-Tournament teams.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingrepor...s-Transfer.php
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 07-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #169 (permalink)
Veteran
 
UNH_Alum_In_CT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 1,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Re: Outbound Transfers Catch-All Thread

Took a look at the Amtrak web site, either 4:29 or 4:34 on an Acela from New Haven to DC, 5:14 to 5:31 on most regionals. Still doable for a weekend trip and obviously a lot more feasible than from Burlington unless he flew, but a lot longer than from VA, MD, DE, PA or NJ.

I know the Q has a nice new facility, I've attended a game there. But it's a long walk from the main campus and on top of a ridge with a fairly steep incline to reach it. The main campus is near a state park, fairly isolated just off the main drag in suburban Hamden and quite a ways from the town center.

I don't get it. I'd rather have a degree from UVM and I'd rather spend my college years in Burlington. I don't care how much colder/snowier it is in Burlington, I'd rather be in Burlington than Hamden. And I live in CT!!!!!! Someone please tell me how it isn't a much more robust college experience in Burlington?
UNH_Alum_In_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #170 (permalink)
Legend
 
bosiydid's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 13,425
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2780 Post(s)
Re: Outbound Transfers Catch-All Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNH_Alum_In_CT View Post
Took a look at the Amtrak web site, either 4:29 or 4:34 on an Acela from New Haven to DC, 5:14 to 5:31 on most regionals. Still doable for a weekend trip and obviously a lot more feasible than from Burlington unless he flew, but a lot longer than from VA, MD, DE, PA or NJ.

I know the Q has a nice new facility, I've attended a game there. But it's a long walk from the main campus and on top of a ridge with a fairly steep incline to reach it. The main campus is near a state park, fairly isolated just off the main drag in suburban Hamden and quite a ways from the town center.

I don't get it. I'd rather have a degree from UVM and I'd rather spend my college years in Burlington. I don't care how much colder/snowier it is in Burlington, I'd rather be in Burlington than Hamden. And I live in CT!!!!!! Someone please tell me how it isn't a much more robust college experience in Burlington?
*scratches head* maybe some disconnect with coaches or something. Him winding up there doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me looking at it from the outside.
__________________
Albany basketball season ticket holder since..........June'06
bosiydid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #171 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 32,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5364 Post(s)
Re: Outbound Transfers Catch-All Thread

I really don't get any of this either, but I honestly think what happened in this case is the scenario I've commented on previously- which is that Young tried to transfer close to home but couldn't/didn't get a scholarship offer from an area school. That's what I will believe until someone credible can tell me otherwise.

Coming out of HS Q-Pac wouldn't have even been a consideration. Here's his blurb from when he signed w/ Vermont:

6-foot-4 guard Garvey Young verbally committed to the University of Vermont on Tuesday, according to the Burlington Free Press. The Washington, D.C. native also received offers from St. Bonaventure, Lehigh, Holy Cross, Cornell, Tulane, William and Mary and Richmond. "In our final analysis, Vermont was the best fit," Young's father, John, said.

In terms of issues with coaches, you never know but I highly doubt that's the case because Garvey was fast tracked by the coaching staff since the moment he stepped on campus because of his defense. He would have been a major piece of the puzzle next year had he stayed.

At the end of the day, I'm sure both parties will be fine- well, I know UVM is going to be.

-Doesn't add up.
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
UMBC Men's Basketball 2018 & UVM Men's Basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #172 (permalink)
Star
 
VT Cats Fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Re: Outbound Transfers Catch-All Thread

Perhaps it is just what he said it was. From all the comments I heard, he just wanted to be closer (have an easier commute) to home. It sounded like his grandmother is not well. With what Matt Hahn and Evan Fjeld went through this year, you cannot blame him.

From all appearances, he is a great kid. If this is what makes him happy than I will wish him well.
VT Cats Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:47 AM   #173 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 32,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5364 Post(s)
Re: Outbound Transfers Catch-All Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Cats Fan View Post
Perhaps it is just what he said it was. From all the comments I heard, he just wanted to be closer (have an easier commute) to home. It sounded like his grandmother is not well. With what Matt Hahn and Evan Fjeld went through this year, you cannot blame him.

From all appearances, he is a great kid. If this is what makes him happy than I will wish him well.
Perhaps- Hamden, CT is certainly much closer to an Acela than Burlington, VT is.

It's a 4.5 hour train ride versus 13 hour train ride from VT as well.
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
UMBC Men's Basketball 2018 & UVM Men's Basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:41 AM   #174 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NYC Metro
Posts: 2,403
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Re: Outbound Transfers Catch-All Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVM Hoop Cat View Post
...

6-foot-4 guard Garvey Young verbally committed to the University of Vermont on Tuesday, according to the Burlington Free Press. The Washington, D.C. native also received offers from St. Bonaventure, Lehigh, Holy Cross, Cornell, Tulane, William and Mary and Richmond. "In our final analysis, Vermont was the best fit," Young's father, John, said.

....
I wouldn't read too much into press releases. You'll note that every school on that list would be considered "at or above" UVM, either athletically or academically -- so they have reason to be on the University's press release. He may very well have been recruited by the Q -- UVM just wouldn't highlight that.

When you spend as many years as I have following Binghamton athletics, you get sort of used to reading between the lines on Athletic Department press releases.
BingGrad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 AM   #175 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 32,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5364 Post(s)
Re: Outbound Transfers Catch-All Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingGrad View Post
I wouldn't read too much into press releases. You'll note that every school on that list would be considered "at or above" UVM, either athletically or academically -- so they have reason to be on the University's press release. He may very well have been recruited by the Q -- UVM just wouldn't highlight that.

When you spend as many years as I have following Binghamton athletics, you get sort of used to reading between the lines on Athletic Department press releases.
I would agree with you if this was a University of Vermont press release, but the Burlington Free Press is a separate entity and is not = the University of Vermont Athletics Department.

These are the same schools that was reported to the BFP, presumably by the Young's or taken from other recruiting sites, such as Scout and the other recruiting websites. Of course, all that can be taken with a grain of salt. I do not doubt NEC schools had tried to recruit him, but there was no NEC school on his final list anywhere that I had seen.

As a rule, when UVM announces its recruits, it doesn't list the other schools that recruited the player. I'm not sure why any school would do that because a) As we've established on this board, they really have no way of knowing for sure who offered and b)It reads as unprofessional

Here's UVM's official press release for the Class of 2012:

http://www.uvm.edu/~sportspr/mens_ba...&storyID=11644
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
UMBC Men's Basketball 2018 & UVM Men's Basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:02 PM   #176 (permalink)
Star
 
VT Cats Fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 772 Post(s)
Re: Outbound Transfers Catch-All Thread

I just heard that Garvey Young transferred out of UVM because his dad wanted him to be in a program where he would have a larger role. I didn't get the impression that QU was necessarily their first choice, but Garvey's statement about being closer to family (grandmother) was probably not the real reason he left. It seems a bit suspect, in that he would have been the best backcourt defender on the roster (most likely) and probably would have started every game. I don't think he would have been one of the first three options offensively, but I think he'd certainly get some looks. If this is even part of the reason, it seems pretty lame to me, but he is not my son. I guess if I felt my son was being underutilized, I'd want him to be in a better situation, but why go through the hassel of transferring and most likely sitting out a year? If QU was in fact the first choice, I don't know if being a slightly bigger fish in a slightly smaller pond really helps all that much. If QU wasn't their first choice, then they probably should have had their ducks in a row a little better before they decided to jump ship...maybe there was some sour grapes with the coaching staff.
VT Cats Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #177 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 32,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5364 Post(s)
Re: Outbound Transfers Catch-All Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Cats Fan View Post
I just heard that Garvey Young transferred out of UVM because his dad wanted him to be in a program where he would have a larger role. I didn't get the impression that QU was necessarily their first choice, but Garvey's statement about being closer to family (grandmother) was probably not the real reason he left. It seems a bit suspect, in that he would have been the best backcourt defender on the roster (most likely) and probably would have started every game. I don't think he would have been one of the first three options offensively, but I think he'd certainly get some looks. If this is even part of the reason, it seems pretty lame to me, but he is not my son. I guess if I felt my son was being underutilized, I'd want him to be in a better situation, but why go through the hassel of transferring and most likely sitting out a year? If QU was in fact the first choice, I don't know if being a slightly bigger fish in a slightly smaller pond really helps all that much. If QU wasn't their first choice, then they probably should have had their ducks in a row a little better before they decided to jump ship...maybe there was some sour grapes with the coaching staff.
I just hope the Young's find whatever it is that they are looking for at Q-Pac, because he is a good kid at the end of the day.

Garvey had a pretty large role in both his freshman and sophomore seasons, that was only going to increase next year. Averaging 21 and 28 min a game in his first two seasons. Averaging 28 min a game for a championship squad is a pretty large role.

Garvey's offensive game was absolutely horrid to start the season last year and was pretty inconsistent for much of the season, and Coach Lonergan stuck by him the entire time.
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
UMBC Men's Basketball 2018 & UVM Men's Basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:53 PM   #178 (permalink)
Star
 
hoopcat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,741
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Re: Outbound Transfers Catch-All Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Cats Fan View Post
I just heard that Garvey Young transferred out of UVM because his dad wanted him to be in a program where he would have a larger role. I didn't get the impression that QU was necessarily their first choice, but Garvey's statement about being closer to family (grandmother) was probably not the real reason he left. It seems a bit suspect, in that he would have been the best backcourt defender on the roster (most likely) and probably would have started every game. I don't think he would have been one of the first three options offensively, but I think he'd certainly get some looks. If this is even part of the reason, it seems pretty lame to me, but he is not my son. I guess if I felt my son was being underutilized, I'd want him to be in a better situation, but why go through the hassel of transferring and most likely sitting out a year? If QU was in fact the first choice, I don't know if being a slightly bigger fish in a slightly smaller pond really helps all that much. If QU wasn't their first choice, then they probably should have had their ducks in a row a little better before they decided to jump ship...maybe there was some sour grapes with the coaching staff.
I really hope that is not the reason he transferred, this doesn't make any sense. He would have been a 35 minute a game guy next year and would get a ton of opportunity on offense this year. If that is the reason he transferred, he got absolutely horrid advice.
hoopcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:05 PM   #179 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 32,184
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5364 Post(s)
Re: Outbound Transfers Catch-All Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopcat View Post
I really hope that is not the reason he transferred, this doesn't make any sense. He would have been a 35 minute a game guy next year and would get a ton of opportunity on offense this year. If that is the reason he transferred, he got absolutely horrid advice.
Bingo.
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
UMBC Men's Basketball 2018 & UVM Men's Basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:50 PM   #180 (permalink)
Star
 
hoopcat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 2,741
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Re: Outbound Transfers Catch-All Thread

An interview from the DesMoines register with Jordan Clarke at Drake:

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/d...n-to-redskins/
hoopcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:35 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.