UVM New Arena Thread - Page 68 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Like Tree598Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #1006 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Global Foundaries has a sparse presence at the Essex facility, most of its jobs are in the NY side. Don't see the corporate office seeing naming rights as valuable. Furthermore, it's owned by Emeratis, which would likely cause a stir on campus and the general community given that area's spotty human rights records.

Rich Tarrant, doesn't give to UVM. He gives to his alma mater, St. Michael's. His kids went to UVM but neither of them have the capital to make a significant donation when it comes to long term naming rights...they sold out all their shares of My Web Grocer I'm pretty sure...because that company has been a shitstorm of bad for the last few years.

Ben & Jerry's certainly isn't the type of corporation to fund a project like this. That should be very obvious from their corporate philathropy. Same applies to Dealer.com/Cox whatever they call themselves now. The supermarkets, probably not. The banks are the only reasonable ones...but does Northfield Savings have that kind of money? Not entirely sure how much People's values its Vermont presence enough to name a sports arena.
catpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #1007 (permalink)
6th Man
 

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: South End BTV
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

I was digging around a little bit, because I was bored and was interested to see if I could find anything on the project's status. I found this which should clear up some speculation. As of now (actual layout could change slightly) maximum capacity for the event center in the basketball configuration will be 3,318 which includes seating in the suites connecting to the Gut (non-basketball will be 3,798).

Smaller than I hoped for but seeing how close we are to shovel-in-the-ground phase I'm gonna hold back my complaints.

https://anrweb.vt.gov/PubDocs/ANR/Pl...20at%20PFG.pdf
VCat_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #1008 (permalink)
Star
 
Old_Cat_Fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by catpower View Post
Global Foundaries has a sparse presence at the Essex facility, most of its jobs are in the NY side. Don't see the corporate office seeing naming rights as valuable. Furthermore, it's owned by Emeratis, which would likely cause a stir on campus and the general community given that area's spotty human rights records.

Rich Tarrant, doesn't give to UVM. He gives to his alma mater, St. Michael's. His kids went to UVM but neither of them have the capital to make a significant donation when it comes to long term naming rights...they sold out all their shares of My Web Grocer I'm pretty sure...because that company has been a shitstorm of bad for the last few years.

Ben & Jerry's certainly isn't the type of corporation to fund a project like this. That should be very obvious from their corporate philathropy. Same applies to Dealer.com/Cox whatever they call themselves now. The supermarkets, probably not. The banks are the only reasonable ones...but does Northfield Savings have that kind of money? Not entirely sure how much People's values its Vermont presence enough to name a sports arena.

Tarrant gave $1.4M to help fund UVM's Gucciardi Fitness and Recreational Center.
Old_Cat_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 11-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #1009 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCat_2015 View Post
I was digging around a little bit, because I was bored and was interested to see if I could find anything on the project's status. I found this which should clear up some speculation. As of now (actual layout could change slightly) maximum capacity for the event center in the basketball configuration will be 3,318 which includes seating in the suites connecting to the Gut (non-basketball will be 3,798).

Smaller than I hoped for but seeing how close we are to shovel-in-the-ground phase I'm gonna hold back my complaints.

https://anrweb.vt.gov/PubDocs/ANR/Pl...20at%20PFG.pdf
Well, 3,200 was the number of seated capacity they said they'd have in the latest reports...so boo hoo 66 people + more have to stand in the rare event of a full sellout. I don't see the Victory Club area having any more than 30-50 seats, and with media, probably the same rang, max.

Your opinions can vary on the basketball part, but they at least are getting the benefit of added capacity to Patrick in some form. What's really sad is that the hockey program has gotten so bad that they're cutting nearly 300 seats from Gutterson because they no longer can meet the ticket demands that the current 4,000. It's mostly to accommodate where the new press box is going to be, but even with adding some seats back to the overhang area where the current press boxes are with the new Victory Club lounge, it speaks volumes of how low that program has sunk. A 10-15 year wait list for tickets to willingly taking capacity down.
catpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #1010 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Cat_Fan View Post
Tarrant gave $1.4M to help fund UVM's Gucciardi Fitness and Recreational Center.
Okay, fine. 20 years ago. And, his kids were going there at the time. Context matters. What has he given of that value or greater in today's dollars to UVM since? His money is mostly directed to SMC athletics and its basketball programs. I do not think he could be counted on to be a major donor for the new UVM facility.
catpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:59 AM   #1011 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 32,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5418 Post(s)
The Gucciardi Fitness Center was created when I was attending UVM- someone can look up exact date but somewhere in the 2000-2002 timeframe IIRC. That was pretty transformative; students today would literally not believe what the weight room and cardio space looked like before what exists today....

Brian Tarrant graduated in 1993- he played with Kevin Roberson- Tarrant donated a good 8-10 years after his kid was there.
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
UMBC Men's Basketball 2018 & UVM Men's Basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:01 AM   #1012 (permalink)
Star
 
VT Cats Fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by catpower View Post
Well, 3,200 was the number of seated capacity they said they'd have in the latest reports...so boo hoo 66 people + more have to stand in the rare event of a full sellout. I don't see the Victory Club area having any more than 30-50 seats, and with media, probably the same rang, max.

Your opinions can vary on the basketball part, but they at least are getting the benefit of added capacity to Patrick in some form. What's really sad is that the hockey program has gotten so bad that they're cutting nearly 300 seats from Gutterson because they no longer can meet the ticket demands that the current 4,000. It's mostly to accommodate where the new press box is going to be, but even with adding some seats back to the overhang area where the current press boxes are with the new Victory Club lounge, it speaks volumes of how low that program has sunk. A 10-15 year wait list for tickets to willingly taking capacity down.
There are considerably more than 50 Victory Club seats currently. About 2/3 of section 5 is being used for Victory Club members. If your vision is correct, it will be interesting to see how that gets handled. I can't imagine they will just lop off the smaller donors but I suppose that could happen.
VT Cats Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:27 AM   #1013 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Cats Fan View Post
There are considerably more than 50 Victory Club seats currently. About 2/3 of section 5 is being used for Victory Club members. If your vision is correct, it will be interesting to see how that gets handled. I can't imagine they will just lop off the smaller donors but I suppose that could happen.
I was talking about that special area that is being build where the new lounge is going to be that overlooks the basketball and hockey venues. That's going to have some seating capacity up there, but I don't think they are going to force Victory Club members to sit in that area (maybe only the real big spenders will get them so they can be catered to the entire game with food and such instead of going to the Bostwick Room pre-game and at half time), and will let them have their season tickets where they want/in a center court section like it is now on the ground floor.

Sorry if that was confusing. I'm just talking about the new lounge seating area that will be on the second level of both facilities as probably only having 30-50 seats...not the general Victory Club section where I suspect 90% of members will sit like they do currently.
VT Cats Fan likes this.
catpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #1014 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVM Hoop Cat View Post
The Gucciardi Fitness Center was created when I was attending UVM- someone can look up exact date but somewhere in the 2000-2002 timeframe IIRC. That was pretty transformative; students today would literally not believe what the weight room and cardio space looked like before what exists today....

Brian Tarrant graduated in 1993- he played with Kevin Roberson- Tarrant donated a good 8-10 years after his kid was there.
Fair points. Before my time (well, I was 10 in 1993). However...I don't think he's on the donor rolls in any largely significant way anymore that he'd give a major gift to fund a project of this scope, and I think counting him among the list of big ticket donors to bring the project to the finish line isn't a good bet. I'm sure they've hit him up multiple times over the last 15 years, too. Him running and losing badly against Bernie Sanders in 2006 for the Senate I think greatly drained a lot of his wealth. He spent over $7 million of his own money on it, which at the time was a lot for VT politics. Still might be. Economy crashed after that so he could have lost more in that time frame...all I know is that he cuts a check annually to SMC so its basketball programs can operate at a slightly above D3 level like the rest of its athletic department, and that seems to be his point of emphasis over UVM sports these days.
catpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #1015 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 32,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5418 Post(s)
RE: Tarrant’s wealth- GE purchased IDX for $1.2bn and he was a co-founder of the company. There’s little doubt he has the means; whether he chooses to give to UVM in a material way for this type of project, I don’t know.
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
UMBC Men's Basketball 2018 & UVM Men's Basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #1016 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
UVM Hoop Cat's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 32,285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5418 Post(s)
Stiller Family Foundation would be an obvious suspect. Looks like Bob Stiller’s children run it and focus on a lot of initiatives in Vermont/Burlington area. Burlington City Arts, King Street Youth Center. Gave 10M to Champlain College.
__________________
"Let's win this game for all the small schools that never had a chance to get here"
- Hoosiers,
UMBC Men's Basketball 2018 & UVM Men's Basketball NCAA's 2005
UVM Hoop Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #1017 (permalink)
6th Man
 

Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: South End BTV
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by UVM Hoop Cat View Post
Stiller Family Foundation would be an obvious suspect. Looks like Bob Stillerís children run it and focus on a lot of initiatives in Vermont/Burlington area. Burlington City Arts, King Street Youth Center. Gave 10M to Champlain College.
They don't give to athletics. I'm quite familiar with Bob Stiller, his kids, etc. They're very community-minded (even though Bob himself no longer lives or spends any time in Vermont) but there is literally 0% chance they'd give to UVM athletics.

He went to Syracuse, neither of his kids went to UVM (Champlain and 'cuse) and they target the pre-school to middle-school crowd. Just gave $2m to the new YMCA center that's being built on Union Street, and have given tons of cash to youth mentoring programs. Collegiate athletics is not in their scope.
catpower likes this.
VCat_2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:04 PM   #1018 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 1,449
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCat_2015 View Post
They don't give to athletics. I'm quite familiar with Bob Stiller, his kids, etc. They're very community-minded (even though Bob himself no longer lives or spends any time in Vermont) but there is literally 0% chance they'd give to UVM athletics.

He went to Syracuse, neither of his kids went to UVM (Champlain and 'cuse) and they target the pre-school to middle-school crowd. Just gave $2m to the new YMCA center that's being built on Union Street, and have given tons of cash to youth mentoring programs. Collegiate athletics is not in their scope.
The major donors we know about for this project are a former player from the 50s who is more known for being "Vermont's version of Lou Alder" because he sits next to Tom Brennan at basketball games. And a former tennis player who was a managing director at a finance firm who like Barry Stone was already very actively involved in the upper sphere of athletics donors long before this donation. It's likely its many more people like that who are giving major gifts in the low six figures/seven figures than it is name brand rich people in the state.

And, among alums, community members and more who are in those tax brackets, collegiate athletics isn't in I'd say 80% of people's scopes around here, or in big alumni communities on the eastern seaboard.
VT Cats Fan and djump32 like this.
catpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:12 PM   #1019 (permalink)
6th Man
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Colchester vt
Posts: 295
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by catpower View Post
Global Foundaries has a sparse presence at the Essex facility, most of its jobs are in the NY side. Don't see the corporate office seeing naming rights as valuable. Furthermore, it's owned by Emeratis, which would likely cause a stir on campus and the general community given that area's spotty human rights records.

Rich Tarrant, doesn't give to UVM. He gives to his alma mater, St. Michael's. His kids went to UVM but neither of them have the capital to make a significant donation when it comes to long term naming rights...they sold out all their shares of My Web Grocer I'm pretty sure...because that company has been a shitstorm of bad for the last few years.

Ben & Jerry's certainly isn't the type of corporation to fund a project like this. That should be very obvious from their corporate philathropy. Same applies to Dealer.com/Cox whatever they call themselves now. The supermarkets, probably not. The banks are the only reasonable ones...but does Northfield Savings have that kind of money? Not entirely sure how much People's values its Vermont presence enough to name a sports arena.

SD Ireland Events Center
Or
PC ( formerly Pizzagalli Const) both have the bank rolls
vtballerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:55 PM   #1020 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 700
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Re: UVM New Arena Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by catpower View Post
I was talking about that special area that is being build where the new lounge is going to be that overlooks the basketball and hockey venues. That's going to have some seating capacity up there, but I don't think they are going to force Victory Club members to sit in that area (maybe only the real big spenders will get them so they can be catered to the entire game with food and such instead of going to the Bostwick Room pre-game and at half time), and will let them have their season tickets where they want/in a center court section like it is now on the ground floor.

Sorry if that was confusing. I'm just talking about the new lounge seating area that will be on the second level of both facilities as probably only having 30-50 seats...not the general Victory Club section where I suspect 90% of members will sit like they do currently.
I think everyone will still get seats, but if youíre in the Victory Club you can choose to hang out in the new lounge as the games are going on. Not sure there are going to be reserved seats in the lounge.
jfromvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:17 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2002 ó 2013 BasketballBoards.net.