2018-19 Davidson Wildcats - Page 4 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Like Tree55Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #46 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF1 View Post
I literally do not care much for the ongoing DIRECTION of the league. As a fan of one of the northern most schools, I don't really like the southern strategy that seemes to be getting pushed by McGlade. She moved the League Headquarters from Philadelphia to the the VA tidewater area and if Davidson joins the A-10, the three newest A-10 members will all be from Va and NC (VCU, GMU, and Davidson). I am not necessarily opposed to seeing southern members added. I would however like to see a more geographically balanced approach to new membership and not a wholesale move in one direction.
It is not a Southern move... The Conference President's are making an Eastern move..

They see the writing on the wall.. Siena is in the North and one of the few schools that rank highly on the A-10 Expansion formula and a school that will also join the A-10 soon.. Iona is another one that ranks highly on the formula output list...

Davidson also ranked very high but was straddled with their request to have COC tag along..
A10BBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #47 (permalink)
Veteran
 
mateer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Big Easy
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF1 View Post
I literally do not care much for the ongoing DIRECTION of the league. As a fan of one of the northern most schools, I don't really like the southern strategy that seemes to be getting pushed by McGlade. She moved the League Headquarters from Philadelphia to the the VA tidewater area and if Davidson joins the A-10, the three newest A-10 members will all be from Va and NC (VCU, GMU, and Davidson). I am not necessarily opposed to seeing southern members added. I would however like to see a more geographically balanced approach to new membership and not a wholesale move in one direction.
Fair criticism. Though, I think the Northeast is pretty picked over. As for Tidewater move, I'm assuming somehow that made sense financially, otherwise why choose Tidewater.

Siena remains a candidate. Would just one more northern school placate you? I'd suggest GMU and Davidson are far better candidates then other schools we might have to settle for in your neck of the woods.

Is the writing on the wall with Dayton and SLU? The move south seems to indicate it might be. Sucks to be Richmond if we are the "Bubble" boy, but the new shift in the A10 is a nice consolation prize.

I like Wichita State, and had before their final four run, and even before this season. Would totally have taken them and another MVC school, travel be damned, to shore up our west. The fact, they aren't a primary target especially now that Greg Marshall (richmond connection btw) and his players have shown they are the real deal, makes me think we are losing our western friends.
__________________

Last edited by mateer; 04-15-2013 at 08:16 AM.
mateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #48 (permalink)
Veteran
 
mateer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: The Big Easy
Posts: 1,317
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

And it's not a bad thing to have an A10 presence in talent loaded North Carolina. There's room behind the big four in the ACC for those players to go. The A10 having conference games down there in theory should help all of us, don't know if that was true with Charlotte or will be with Davidson, but it makes sense.
__________________
mateer is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 04-15-2013, 08:13 AM   #49 (permalink)
Star
 
Tournaments Won: 1

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 3,881
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

The other thing may be similar to George Mason and wanting the money from NCAA units. I've heard a few URI people say 1 run to the elite 8 would pay for the basketball program for 8 years
__________________
2016 Lock of the Day Contest Regular Season Champion
2016 Lock of the Day Contest NCAA Champion
2011, 2015 Lock of the Day Contest NIT Champion

Lock of the Day Commissioner
twisted3829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #50 (permalink)
RF1
Star
 
RF1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,611
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted3829 View Post
The other thing may be similar to George Mason and wanting the money from NCAA units. I've heard a few URI people say 1 run to the elite 8 would pay for the basketball program for 8 years

Conferences keep NCAA units. Schools do not take them with them when they switch leagues.
RF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #51 (permalink)
RF1
Star
 
RF1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 3,611
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateer View Post
Fair criticism. Though, I think the Northeast is pretty picked over. As for Tidewater move, I'm assuming somehow that made sense financially, otherwise why choose Tidewater.

Siena remains a candidate. Would just one more northern school placate you? I'd suggest GMU and Davidson are far better candidates then other schools we might have to settle for in your neck of the woods.

Is the writing on the wall with Dayton and SLU? The move south seems to indicate it might be. Sucks to be Richmond if we are the "Bubble" boy, but the new shift in the A10 is a nice consolation prize.

I like Wichita State, and had before their final four run, and even before this season. Would totally have taken them and another MVC school, travel be damned, to shore up our west. The fact, they aren't a primary target especially now that Greg Marshall (richmond connection btw) and his players have shown they are the real deal, makes me think we are losing our western friends.
Adding Siena would partially placate me. I think they bring more to the table than Davidson (larger arena, fanbase, big metro arean with no pro teams, success under several coaches, etc...).

The current direction of the league may be good for UR as you are one of the southern most members. it is however in my opinion not good for the northern most members such as URI, UMass, SBU, and FU. It probably will mean more charter flights for the men's basketball teams and very long trips for all the other athletic teams.

Last edited by RF1; 04-15-2013 at 09:48 AM.
RF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:37 AM   #52 (permalink)
PVP
Veteran
 
PVP's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hawk Hill
Posts: 1,002
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

Clearly the Patriot league seems like the perfect spot for Davidson if we are just talking academics. Geographically its not a good fit at all. But that does not mean the A10 is not a decent fit for Davidson - it clearly is which is what made Decorcey's tweet strange to me.
__________________
2005 Regular Season Locks of the Day Champion
2007-08 A10 Regular Season Contest Champion
PVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:38 AM   #53 (permalink)
Rookie
 
SienaSal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: The Capital District
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

Siena joining the A-10 is all but done. I'm really excited, you guys!!
SienaSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #54 (permalink)
6th Man
 
bostonspider's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 386
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

I wonder if Towson is anywhere on the radar screen. They are just about to complete a new arena, and seem to be improving in Basketball, 2nd in the CAA this past year. If they continue to improve, they would fill a nice void in the conference between Washington and Philadelphia.



bostonspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #55 (permalink)
Star
 
ace93's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,210
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

Any chance Davidson is for 2013-14? I find it odd, no pun intended, that the conference would be 13 teams next season, though for scheduling purposes 13 is not a very different approach than 14. 4 teams twice, 8 teams once instead of 3 teams twice, 10 teams once.
ace93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #56 (permalink)
Veteran
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,478
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderInTheMixingBowl View Post
Anyone worried about how Davidson fares post-McKillop? Could they become Fordham-esque with the wrong hire when he retires?
That would be the primary worry. Davidson has had consistent success in the last 15 years or so at the Southern conference level primarily because McKillop stuck around so long, as opposed to the normal process of losing coaches any time you have success, followed by transitions that may or may not work out and time spent lower in your conference. It's possible the next guy they hire could keep that going, but Davidson doesn't have many other attributes that would stave off a potential downturn like they saw pre-McKillop for most of the 80's. As long as he's there, I think they'll be competitive, though probably rarely a top team in the conference.

I'm also interested to see how they handle other sports. The worry on their end is probably that the improvement in basketball revenue will not make up for the increased travel costs of all sports (many of which share 2 or 3 scholarships among all their players and currently bus to all games). I wouldn't be surprised if they were negotiating some way to limit travel for their non-revenue sports (maybe join for basketball only?).
antboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #57 (permalink)
Star
 
ace93's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,210
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antboy View Post
I'm also interested to see how they handle other sports. The worry on their end is probably that the improvement in basketball revenue will not make up for the increased travel costs of all sports (many of which share 2 or 3 scholarships among all their players and currently bus to all games). I wouldn't be surprised if they were negotiating some way to limit travel for their non-revenue sports (maybe join for basketball only?).
Very doubtful. What conference would accomodate all their other sports out of the good of their heart while not benefitting from their marquee sport? If such a scenario were likely, more schools would be doing it and we'd have basketball only conferences, footbball only conferences and then different regional conferences for the rest of the sports.
ace93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:19 AM   #58 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace93 View Post
Any chance Davidson is for 2013-14? I find it odd, no pun intended, that the conference would be 13 teams next season, though for scheduling purposes 13 is not a very different approach than 14. 4 teams twice, 8 teams once instead of 3 teams twice, 10 teams once.
Exactly.

As I was explaining to one of our Siena friends in a PM, the Presidents never understood the craving for a even numbered conference.. Scheduling was unbalanced when it was 12 (pre-STL and Charlotte) and was unbalanced at 16. Odds and evens do not matter do not matter to the decision makers, yet the media seems obsessed about it.
A10BBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 09:41 AM   #59 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace93 View Post
Very doubtful. What conference would accomodate all their other sports out of the good of their heart while not benefitting from their marquee sport? If such a scenario were likely, more schools would be doing it and we'd have basketball only conferences, footbball only conferences and then different regional conferences for the rest of the sports.
Absolutely! The Presidents would not allow a school the perks of playing in the revenue generating sport without putting everything in..


And frankly with their endowment it wouldn't be that much of an increase... They are looking at an increase of maybe $100k in travel expenses.. I would spend an additional $100k to get back $300k and an increase in media games and exposure through ESPN, NBC and CBS.

For a Davidson Olympic sports team of 22 players (certain sports have less) that have to make 3-4 additional flying trips at a MAX per season due the conference realignment.. It might cost Davidson (especially at pre-fixed, contract bulk rate with their airline carrier of choosing), $10-16k per team.. When I worked at my university, we had a deal with US Airways who charged us $150/person person per roundtrip inside the region, $225/person per roundtrip outside the region...

Also should be mentioned sports in the A-10 like Tennis, Golf, XC and Track and Field only meet up once a year and do not travel to each other's venue to play each other every week... So there is 1/4 of athletic programs for a lot of the A-10 schools anyways..
A10BBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #60 (permalink)
Benchwarmer
 
BmoreX's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

Towson plays football. I do not think they would want to let go of that. And I don't see Yeager and the CAA allowing them to keep their football there but move everything else to the A10.

If it's wasn't for football though, I think Towson would be a really good choice for the league. New market in the geographic footprint, big public school that is investing in basketball, and a team that turned around a disastrous 2012 year. Baltimore doesn't really have a "basketball" team, whether it is pro or college. Towson could definitely capture it.
BmoreX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:03 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.