Phil Martelli Out at Saint Joseph's - Page 6 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Like Tree67Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2019, 10:01 AM   #76 (permalink)
Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Re: Phil Martelli Out at Saint Joseph's

The only coach who fits the bill is.....

From The Samford Bulldogs - Scott LilyPad-gett

Viva le Frogs

Ghost of Guster
Ghost of Guster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-21-2019, 10:16 AM   #77 (permalink)
Star
 
BrownIndians85's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,808
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Re: Phil Martelli Out at Saint Joseph's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace93 View Post
Since when do solid academics matter to the success of a basketball program? If anything, weaker academics can help.

I agree that the post lacked juice, ironically, but in typical fashion your post goes to extremes.
__________________
http://www.gobonnies.com
BrownIndians85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #78 (permalink)
Star
 
BrownIndians85's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,808
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Re: Phil Martelli Out at Saint Joseph's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhawk13 View Post
Saint Joseph's having juice doesn't osmosiscally mean my posts due. Most of the posters on this board have zero juice, but we love them all the same, even those who are economists for Christ's sake.
That's because Bill fucking drank it all.
__________________
http://www.gobonnies.com
BrownIndians85 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 03-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #79 (permalink)
Star
 
ace93's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,210
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Re: Phil Martelli Out at Saint Joseph's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownIndians85 View Post
Trust me, that song did come to mind when I typed that comment.
ace93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:09 AM   #80 (permalink)
res
Star
 
res's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,344
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Re: Phil Martelli Out at Saint Joseph's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownIndians85 View Post
That's because Bill fucking drank it all.
Speaking of Bill...
Bill Russell likes this.
res is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:13 AM   #81 (permalink)
res
Star
 
res's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,344
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Re: Phil Martelli Out at Saint Joseph's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhawk13 View Post
Saint Joseph's having juice doesn't osmosiscally mean my posts due. Most of the posters on this board have zero juice, but we love them all the same, even those who are economists for Christ's sake.
If you find it necessary to continue to ascribe a profession to me based on an academic degree attained, I would prefer that you refer to me as a mathematician.
res is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:14 AM   #82 (permalink)
res
Star
 
res's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,344
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Re: Phil Martelli Out at Saint Joseph's

Nathan Davis? Matt Langel? Dr. Brett Reed? If Reed, you'd be better off with Fran.
res is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:17 AM   #83 (permalink)
All-Star
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Shore, Massachusetts
Posts: 7,433
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3321 Post(s)
Re: Phil Martelli Out at Saint Joseph's

Phil went on local radio today and was a total embarrassment. I wanted him to have a graceful exit but he's not making it possible for himself.

Looking forward to the future.

EDIT: For the biggest fans of Martelli the Magnificent, here's a link: https://94wip.radio.com/media/audio-...-phil-martelli

Last edited by sjhawk13; 03-22-2019 at 07:29 AM.
sjhawk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #84 (permalink)
Star
 
A10La Salle55's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,818
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Re: Phil Martelli Out at Saint Joseph's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhawk13 View Post
Phil went on local radio today and was a total embarrassment. I wanted him to have a graceful exit but he's not making it possible for himself.

Looking forward to the future.

EDIT: For the biggest fans of Martelli the Magnificent, here's a link: https://94wip.radio.com/media/audio-...-phil-martelli
Hard to have a graceful exit when he got thrown out the door.

The entire situation from beginning to end couldn't have been handled more poorly. It's a real shame for him, SJU and this city's basketball tradition.
A10La Salle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #85 (permalink)
All-Star
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Shore, Massachusetts
Posts: 7,433
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3321 Post(s)
Re: Phil Martelli Out at Saint Joseph's

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10La Salle55 View Post
Hard to have a graceful exit when he got thrown out the door.
To quote Phil: you can kiss my ass.

He was offered the Dunphy farewell tour and a admin position at Saint Joseph's. He declined. He chose not to resign and therefore had to be fired.

Who gives a shit what the press release said? That's what matters now, the press release? I know, I know, LAS had some long glowing statement about G when they got rid of him. Great. He also called around to his recruits and urged them to stick with the program. He would have done the same with a 3 paragraph post.

Spare me this bullshit. Phil was shown nothing but respect and got offered a golden parachute. He elected to go in another direction than those offers and that's well within his right. Spending his days on a WIP pity party tour is also his prerogative, but don't tell me he wouldn't have done this with some multi-page list of his accomplishments.
sjhawk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #86 (permalink)
Star
 
BrownIndians85's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,808
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Re: Phil Martelli Out at Saint Joseph's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhawk13 View Post
Phil went on local radio today and was a total embarrassment. I wanted him to have a graceful exit but he's not making it possible for himself.

Looking forward to the future.

EDIT: For the biggest fans of Martelli the Magnificent, here's a link: https://94wip.radio.com/media/audio-...-phil-martelli
Just listened, he sure is playing the victim card, and this Angelo played spectacular enabler for 12 minutes.

The old guard, the good old boys never like when their time is up. SJU has new brass and they're taking a new direction. I'm not sure he's helping himself as far as obtaining a new coaching gig with this. It's as if he felt he was coach for life there - as long as he wanted the job. And maybe that was the case, but the powers that be when they evaluate, want to make sure you're not just going through the motions. Is the passion there? There were games this year, and I watched 2 of them from start to finish, where he and the team just weren't there.

He's hurt, it's tough. He's not going to be a part of SJU going forward. If the old boys network has convinced him to step aside, sure. Be he has no ties or love for the newbies. He's not going to be a figurehead. He wants back on the sidelines somewhere.
__________________
http://www.gobonnies.com
BrownIndians85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:28 AM   #87 (permalink)
All-Star
 

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: North Shore, Massachusetts
Posts: 7,433
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3321 Post(s)
Re: Phil Martelli Out at Saint Joseph's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownIndians85 View Post
Just listened, he sure is playing the victim card, and this Angelo played spectacular enabler for 12 minutes.

The old guard, the good old boys never like when their time is up. SJU has new brass and they're taking a new direction. I'm not sure he's helping himself as far as obtaining a new coaching gig with this. It's as if he felt he was coach for life there - as long as he wanted the job. And maybe that was the case, but the powers that be when they evaluate, want to make sure you're not just going through the motions. Is the passion there? There were games this year, and I watched 2 of them from start to finish, where he and the team just weren't there.

He's hurt, it's tough. He's not going to be a part of SJU going forward. If the old boys network has convinced him to step aside, sure. Be he has no ties or love for the newbies. He's not going to be a figurehead. He wants back on the sidelines somewhere.
It sounds like you're starting to get on board, 85. Welcome!
sjhawk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #88 (permalink)
Star
 
A10La Salle55's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 2,818
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Re: Phil Martelli Out at Saint Joseph's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhawk13 View Post
To quote Phil: you can kiss my ass.

He was offered the Dunphy farewell tour and a admin position at Saint Joseph's. He declined. He chose not to resign and therefore had to be fired.

Who gives a shit what the press release said? That's what matters now, the press release? I know, I know, LAS had some long glowing statement about G when they got rid of him. Great. He also called around to his recruits and urged them to stick with the program. He would have done the same with a 3 paragraph post.

Spare me this bullshit. Phil was shown nothing but respect and got offered a golden parachute. He elected to go in another direction than those offers and that's well within his right. Spending his days on a WIP pity party tour is also his prerogative, but don't tell me he wouldn't have done this with some multi-page list of his accomplishments.
He was absolutely not offered the Dunphy farewell tour.

Whoever told you that sure as hell is fabricating a story.
A10La Salle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #89 (permalink)
Player
 
rosceaux's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Re: Phil Martelli Out at Saint Joseph's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjhawk13 View Post
Phil went on local radio today and was a total embarrassment. I wanted him to have a graceful exit but he's not making it possible for himself.

Looking forward to the future.

EDIT: For the biggest fans of Martelli the Magnificent, here's a link: https://94wip.radio.com/media/audio-...-phil-martelli

I never would have sought this out and clicked because you linked it.

I don't think it was embarrassing at all. There has never been an issue with Phil's media availability or forthrightness before. In fact, it has been one of his strengths for St. Joe's (and an irritant for us, sometimes). He gave an honest appraisal of what happened and where he was now.

I have no intention of directing you how to feel. Divorces are always messy. Accept the fact that the decision was St. Joe's, accept the negative flack that was sure to come, and move on.

(BTW, that "Phil Martelli Must Go" thread was started in 2009. That was before 2 NITs and the 2 conference championships/NCAA appearances that followed)
ace93 likes this.
__________________
Smell the Love!
rosceaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #90 (permalink)
Player
 

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Richmond
Posts: 858
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Re: Phil Martelli Out at Saint Joseph's

Quote:
Originally Posted by A10La Salle55 View Post
He was absolutely not offered the Dunphy farewell tour.

Whoever told you that sure as hell is fabricating a story.
Well, what is the story?
JonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:06 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.