Jimmy Buckets FA Thread - Page 2 - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2015, 11:34 AM   #16 (permalink)
Legend
 
yodurk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 10,189
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Re: Jimmy Buckets FA Thread

Awesome! Jimmy Butler wearing a Bulls uniform for the next 4-5 years...made my day!
yodurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-01-2015, 11:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Legend
 
yodurk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 10,189
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Re: Jimmy Buckets FA Thread

This might turn out to be the fastest Bulls' off-season we've ever seen...

Re-sign Dunleavy & Butler on 1st day of free agency
Use lower level exception (3-yr, $10M) on ??? for backup PG
Re-sign E'Twaun Moore and ??? for 3rd string defensive C
(obviously need to figure out who our 2nd string PG and 3rd string C options are)

PG: Rose, ???, Hinrich
SG: Butler, Snell, Moore
SF: Dunleavy, McDermott
PF: Mirotic, Gibson, Portis
C: Gasol, Noah, ???

Obviously a trade could happen and I do think we are shopping one/both of Gibson and Noah, but Gibson just had surgery and Noah needs to prove he can bounce back a bit before we get any offers worth our time. My prediction is a consolidation trade happens mid-season near the trade deadline.

Then time to get to work with Coach Hoiberg. No distractions this summer, just hard work, get on the same page, build chemistry, and we'll be ready for a fun season.
yodurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
All-Star
 

Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chicago
Age: 35
Posts: 9,297
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Re: Jimmy Buckets FA Thread

It still boggles my mind that Jimmy Buttler is going to make 19 million a year... But hey that's NBA contracts for ya. Great deal for Jimmy, ok deal for the Bulls. At least they don't lose him for nothing.

As much as I like Dunleavy, and its nice to see him come back, they just basically brought back the same team as last year. Only more expensive and older. I fail to see the big picture other than if it doesn't work in the next 2 years, they will blow this up and rebuild through the draft.
thebizkit69u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #19 (permalink)
Legend
 
yodurk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 10,189
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Re: Jimmy Buckets FA Thread

It's true alot of the team is the same, but there is also a good deal of room for improvement internally. This being a team that won 50 games in spite of lazy inconsistent play most of the season and poor chemistry between coach, players, and front office. There seems to be a concerted effort to clean up those things and get everyone on the same page again. I'm not guaranteeing that will automatically happen, I'm just saying if it does, this team could be real good.

I basically see 3 ways this team gets better. One is what I said above with getting everyone on the same page. Secondly from the younger guys getting better and more experienced (Mirotic, McDermott, Snell, Portis). Third is from Rose and Noah, and to a lesser extent Taj, who were pretty terrible for alot of last season. Rose in particular is the one guy who can make all the difference, should he keep himself healthy. He has some solid momentum from a good playoff run where he played well, and is finally entering an off-season with some confidence and good health. I could see him having a nice bounce back year. Noah I'm not as sure about but I'll say this, he can't be a whole lot worse than what we witnessed in 2014-2015.

I should point out too that the Bulls really only have a 2-year window with this squad. Alot of our contracts expire in Summer 2017, then you have another NBA lockout looming. Things should become clear by that point on whether guys like Rose, Noah, Taj, etc., are worth bringing back to the post-lockout Bulls team in 2017-18. My bet is we have a mini-rebuild after the lockout while building around Butler, Mirotic, McDermott, Portis as the young core. Not really counting on Rose being here beyond 2017 necessarily unless he convinces us his game will age well and he can remain healthy.
Fergus likes this.

Last edited by yodurk; 07-01-2015 at 07:23 PM.
yodurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:38 AM   #20 (permalink)
Moderator
Photobucket
 
jnrjr79's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Location Location
Posts: 8,415
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Re: Jimmy Buckets FA Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebizkit69u View Post
I fail to see the big picture other than if it doesn't work in the next 2 years, they will blow this up and rebuild through the draft.
Honestly, I think that is the big picture, as far as the Bulls' FO is concerned, though I think they would move a big if they could. I'm not sure they can get the value they want, though, given the health status of Noah and Gibson, so rolling with the current squad is pretty much what I expect for the next season or two.
jnrjr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
K4E
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Re: Jimmy Buckets FA Thread

If Butler continues playing like he did last season, he's worth it.

Has there been any indication that the Bulls are going to be bringing Noah off the bench or that Noah is at any way content with coming off the bench? Last year at this time he was the reigning all-NBA 1st team center.
K4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 05:56 AM   #22 (permalink)
Legend
 
yodurk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 10,189
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Re: Jimmy Buckets FA Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4E View Post
If Butler continues playing like he did last season, he's worth it.

Has there been any indication that the Bulls are going to be bringing Noah off the bench or that Noah is at any way content with coming off the bench? Last year at this time he was the reigning all-NBA 1st team center.
Nothing that I've seen either way.

Noah wants to win so I think it will be fine, but then again he will be a free agent and may want to showcase himself. So wouldn't surprise me if he is unhappy about a 20 min/game off the bench role.

The way I see it, Rose & Butler are the only guaranteed starting roles. The other 3 spots are up for grabs. Gasol obviously has the inner track for 1 of those spots but maybe Noah surprises us and gets himself right physically & mentally this summer. Either way I don't want to see Gasol & Noah on the court together much. And Mirotic should be starting PF regardless, IMO.

My preferred lineups:
Starters -- Rose, Butler, Snell, Mirotic, Gasol
Bench -- FA signing, Dunleavy, McDermott, Gibson, Noah
3rd string -- Hinrich, Moore, Portis, Vet min signing

I think Hoiberg should (and will) use a consistent 10-man rotation that keeps the starters to 28-32 minutes per game, and runs the 2nd unit guys 16-20 minutes per game.

Also given the likelihood of Gibson, Noah, or Gasol getting injured at some point, I see some good opportunities opening up for Bobby Portis to step into the 2nd unit for 16-20 minutes on a semi-frequent basis.

This is how I see it playing out to start the season, however I do forecast a trade deadline move, swapping one of our bigs + one of our role player wings for a big upgrade at starting SG/SF to play alongside Jimmy.

Last edited by yodurk; 07-03-2015 at 06:01 AM.
yodurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
K4E
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Re: Jimmy Buckets FA Thread

I think its going to be real tough from a locker room management standpoint to just bench Noah. If he's healthy, he's going to start, IMO. Unless he's just ready to call it a career and doesn't care about his next contract.

Its the same logjam as last year, IMO. 4 guys at the 4/5 that all deserve to play. Sure, it will be cleared up a bit when someone gets hurt, but when all are healthy, people will be complaining about minutes yet again. Which gets old.

I also don't see Dunleavy coming back here to come off the bench. And, he was the best player out of Snell, Dunleavy, McDermott, so I think he'll keep his spot.

But, you never know. New coach, new way of doing things. Tough thing to do to start out is to piss off some of the established vets though. There really isn't much to be gained from that.
K4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #24 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-
Photobucket
 
Fergus's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 698
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Re: Jimmy Buckets FA Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodurk View Post
Nothing that I've seen either way.

Noah wants to win so I think it will be fine, but then again he will be a free agent and may want to showcase himself. So wouldn't surprise me if he is unhappy about a 20 min/game off the bench role.

The way I see it, Rose & Butler are the only guaranteed starting roles. The other 3 spots are up for grabs. Gasol obviously has the inner track for 1 of those spots but maybe Noah surprises us and gets himself right physically & mentally this summer. Either way I don't want to see Gasol & Noah on the court together much. And Mirotic should be starting PF regardless, IMO.

My preferred lineups:
Starters -- Rose, Butler, Snell, Mirotic, Gasol
Bench -- FA signing, Dunleavy, McDermott, Gibson, Noah
3rd string -- Hinrich, Moore, Portis, Vet min signing

I think Hoiberg should (and will) use a consistent 10-man rotation that keeps the starters to 28-32 minutes per game, and runs the 2nd unit guys 16-20 minutes per game.

Also given the likelihood of Gibson, Noah, or Gasol getting injured at some point, I see some good opportunities opening up for Bobby Portis to step into the 2nd unit for 16-20 minutes on a semi-frequent basis.

This is how I see it playing out to start the season, however I do forecast a trade deadline move, swapping one of our bigs + one of our role player wings for a big upgrade at starting SG/SF to play alongside Jimmy.
The problem with starting Rose, Butler, Snell, Mirotic and Gasol is that we will have little interior defense. While I hope Mirotic shows some real improvement on defense after the off season, until then I think either Gibson or Noah needs to be in the lineup to give the Bulls some defense in the paint.
Fergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
K4E
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Re: Jimmy Buckets FA Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
The problem with starting Rose, Butler, Snell, Mirotic and Gasol is that we will have little interior defense. While I hope Mirotic shows some real improvement on defense after the off season, until then I think either Gibson or Noah needs to be in the lineup to give the Bulls some defense in the paint.
I agree. You still have to play D.

Some folks advocate for Rose/Butler/McDermott/Mirotic/Gasol.

It going to be tough to stop anyone with that lineup.

And any interior D is pretty much out the window with Mirotic / Gasol.

The logjam at the 4/5 isn't going to be solved with a coaching change.
K4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 04:57 AM   #26 (permalink)
Legend
 
yodurk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 10,189
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Re: Jimmy Buckets FA Thread

IMO...Mirotic & Gasol will be fine as starters together. They play a fair # of minutes together last year and looked good most of the time; better than Noah/Gasol from what I recall. I qualify that with 2 things...first, I do not advocate them to close out games together necessarily or even playing long extended minutes together. Remember Hoiberg is probably going to run out a deeper rotation than Thibs which means Gasol & Mirotic may only play 28-30 min/game each. If we're getting slaughtered at the rim to start a game, all Hoiberg has to do is sub in the Noah or Taj, or even Portis, in place of Gasol or Mirotic (depending on nature of the problem). Problem solved.

Second, I believe it works best when pairing Jimmy & Snell together on the perimeter who are both good at pressuring the ball and staving off penetration.

Hoiberg values offensive rhythm alot more than Thibodeau, and will also push to increase the pace we played at last year. I don't know how you accomplish that with Noah at PF (who is too slow nowadays for PF), or Taj who is the worst big man passer on our team and a bit of a black hole on offense, not to mention coming off a major surgery on his ankle. Quite simply you get the best combination of speed, passing, shooting, off the dribble shot creation, and even defense when you run out Rose-Butler-Snell-Mirotic together. I guess you could put Noah in there at center instead of Gasol and could feast on offensive rebounds, but I feel that Noah will kill our spacing and I really don't want him playing more minutes than Gasol. 20 minutes per game for Noah until he proves he deserves otherwise.
yodurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:05 AM   #27 (permalink)
Legend
 
yodurk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 10,189
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Re: Jimmy Buckets FA Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4E View Post
I agree. You still have to play D.

Some folks advocate for Rose/Butler/McDermott/Mirotic/Gasol.

It going to be tough to stop anyone with that lineup.

And any interior D is pretty much out the window with Mirotic / Gasol.

The logjam at the 4/5 isn't going to be solved with a coaching change.
I definitely do not advocate for McDermott to start yet. One step at a time. He is likely going to play alot more for Hoiberg but he has a long ways to go before proving he should start above Dunleavy or even Snell. Guy still needs to gain alot of confidence and can do that best in a consistent 6th-8th man role for 20 minutes a game. I agree McDermott combined with the Mirotic/Gasol frontourt would be the straw that breaks the camel's back defensively. Having Snell there makes all the difference thanks to his length and ability to pressure the ball well and cover ground. Snell can also run the break, handle the ball, and facilitate ball movement better than McDermott. I see Snell flourishing as a role player in Hoiberg's system this year. If you need offensive punch off the bench, then you call McDermott's number in place of Snell.
yodurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:12 AM   #28 (permalink)
Moderator
Photobucket
 
jnrjr79's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Location Location
Posts: 8,415
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Re: Jimmy Buckets FA Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4E View Post
I think its going to be real tough from a locker room management standpoint to just bench Noah. If he's healthy, he's going to start, IMO. Unless he's just ready to call it a career and doesn't care about his next contract.

Its the same logjam as last year, IMO. 4 guys at the 4/5 that all deserve to play. Sure, it will be cleared up a bit when someone gets hurt, but when all are healthy, people will be complaining about minutes yet again. Which gets old.

I also don't see Dunleavy coming back here to come off the bench. And, he was the best player out of Snell, Dunleavy, McDermott, so I think he'll keep his spot.

But, you never know. New coach, new way of doing things. Tough thing to do to start out is to piss off some of the established vets though. There really isn't much to be gained from that.

I pretty much agree with all of this. Hoiberg will undoubtedly have a different rotation and will likely not play certain guys the same huge minutes Thibs did, but the roster is what it is, and there is a logjam at the 4/5 of pieces that are individually good but don't necessarily mesh that well together.

It's hard to tell your DPOY, 1st Team All-NBA center that he's going to be riding the pine because he had a down year last year, even if it might be the right call. Similarly, you're not going to tell Pau, who is coming off a year with very high productivity, that he's now a bench player. My guess is these two continue to start, but Hoiberg tries to separate them more as the game progresses.

I am less convinced that Dunleavy will get a starting slot due to veteran entitlement, but if last year is any indication, he'll probably just be the best option at that spot.
jnrjr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 08:55 AM   #29 (permalink)
Legend
 
yodurk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 10,189
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Re: Jimmy Buckets FA Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnrjr79 View Post
I pretty much agree with all of this. Hoiberg will undoubtedly have a different rotation and will likely not play certain guys the same huge minutes Thibs did, but the roster is what it is, and there is a logjam at the 4/5 of pieces that are individually good but don't necessarily mesh that well together.

It's hard to tell your DPOY, 1st Team All-NBA center that he's going to be riding the pine because he had a down year last year, even if it might be the right call. Similarly, you're not going to tell Pau, who is coming off a year with very high productivity, that he's now a bench player. My guess is these two continue to start, but Hoiberg tries to separate them more as the game progresses.

I am less convinced that Dunleavy will get a starting slot due to veteran entitlement, but if last year is any indication, he'll probably just be the best option at that spot.
I agree Noah/Gasol starting is most likely outcome for the reasons you stated. Just not the best outcome in terms of the most effective starting lineup, which is disappointing. But I do think the front office will be aiming for a mid-season trade to clean up the log jam. Just unlikely to happen this summer b/c Noah's value is low and Gibson just had surgery.

Re: Dunleavy, keep in mind he and Snell were not far off from each other production wise. Snell had a PER of 10, Dunleavy PER of 11, and that was in spite of a terrible 1st half of the season for Snell. Snell is getting better while
Dunleavy is getting older, and Hoiberg's style can only help Snell. The thing that will kill Snell's chances is if he starts the season ice-cold from 3-pt range.
yodurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #30 (permalink)
K4E
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Re: Jimmy Buckets FA Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodurk View Post
Snell is getting better while
Dunleavy is getting older, and Hoiberg's style can only help Snell. The thing that will kill Snell's chances is if he starts the season ice-cold from 3-pt range.
The thing is Dunleavy is the three point shooting.

He was easily our best volume three point shooter last year and 14th in the NBA. If Rose and Noah/Gasol are out on the floor, we need him.

Some think that Mirotic at the 4 helps with this problem. But, if last year is any indicator, Mirotic isn't a very good three point shooter.

Dunleavy might get much worse due to his age, but let's hope not, since the front office just signed him to a 3 year contract.

I found that very curious given that many thought that the front office was steamed at Thibs for not playing McDermott more. It seems they locked in a productive vet ahead of him now on a longer term deal.
K4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:25 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.