LeBron/Cavs Want Dun Dun: Update - Dunleavy Re-signs - Basketball Forum : Professional and College Basketball Forums
BasketballForum.com is the premier basketball Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dornado
  • 2 Post By Dornado
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Moderator
Photobucket
 
jnrjr79's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Location Location
Posts: 8,415
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
LeBron/Cavs Want Dun Dun: Update - Dunleavy Re-signs

Quote:
The Cleveland Cavaliers have strong free-agent interest in Chicago Bulls swingman Mike Dunleavy, according to league sources.

Sources told ESPN.com that Cleveland plans to pursue Dunleavy in free agency, which begins after midnight Tuesday, with Cavs star LeBron James foremost among the Dunleavy admirers in the organization.
Quote:
But sources stressed this week that Dunleavy, much like Bulls restricted free agent Jimmy Butler, is likely to stay with Chicago.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13...-chicago-bulls
jnrjr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-30-2015, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jesus Shuttlesworth
 
Marcus13's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Age: 31
Posts: 17,071
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
re: LeBron/Cavs Want Dun Dun: Update - Dunleavy Re-signs

A good backup plan if they can't talk Jesus out of retirement. It doesn't sound like he is going to be easy to acquire either though
__________________
2015 Legends Draft Roster

PG : Chauncey Billups/Terry Porter
SG : Mitch Richmond/Dale Ellis
SF : Elgin Baylor/Bernard King
PF : Marcus Camby/Kiki Vandeweghe
C : David Robinson/Brad Daughtery
Marcus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 09:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
God, this place makes me frisky!
Photobucket
 
Bubbles's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Minnesota
Age: 29
Posts: 17,382
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
re: LeBron/Cavs Want Dun Dun: Update - Dunleavy Re-signs

Would be huge for the Cavs especially if JR leaves because they'll be able to replace his backhands with Dunleavy's punches to the throat.
__________________

KVBL V3.5 Champions: 2032, 2033, 2040, 2047, 2060, 2061, 2063, 2064, 2065
KVBL V4 Champions: 2029

Fear the Deer
Minnesota Timberwolves
Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
We Warriors
Photobucket
 
Ballscientist's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Authentic home of We Warriors, the best team in the history
Age: 45
Posts: 15,623
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
re: LeBron/Cavs Want Dun Dun: Update - Dunleavy Re-signs

Cavs have 3.4 million mini MLE?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamel Irief View Post
Ballscientist has a Ph.D in Ball science.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Mafioso
Unbelievably cruel, utterly offensive, absolutely deplorable, yet strikingly humorous!
Quote:
Originally Posted by afobisme View Post
Ballscientist is using something more powerful than any other human or computer - his brain.
Ballscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
K4E
Benchwarmer
 

Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 181
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
re: LeBron/Cavs Want Dun Dun: Update - Dunleavy Re-signs

Seemed like plenty of Bulls fans were annoyed that this guy was playing over McDermott over the course of last season, although he was clearly a better NBA basketball player.

If the Bulls are a "win now" team they should want him on their roster since he's a solid role player and was their best three point shooter last season.

If the Bulls are a "win later" team that is going to be handing out the development minutes to guys like McDermott, then who cares? Let him go to the Cavs or wherever .... our window is down the road.

If they resign him though, don't be surprised / angry if he actually plays a lot, especially if he's clearly better than McDermott again.
K4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Moderator
Photobucket
 
jnrjr79's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Location Location
Posts: 8,415
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
re: LeBron/Cavs Want Dun Dun: Update - Dunleavy Re-signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4E View Post
Seemed like plenty of Bulls fans were annoyed that this guy was playing over McDermott over the course of last season, although he was clearly a better NBA basketball player.

If the Bulls are a "win now" team they should want him on their roster since he's a solid role player and was their best three point shooter last season.

If the Bulls are a "win later" team that is going to be handing out the development minutes to guys like McDermott, then who cares? Let him go to the Cavs or wherever .... our window is down the road.

If they resign him though, don't be surprised / angry if he actually plays a lot, especially if he's clearly better than McDermott again.

Well, the deal is done. It does seem pretty clear the FO believes that the team is still in win-now mode, probably for the next two seasons, at a minimum.

jnrjr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫
Photobucket
 
Dornado's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 14,320
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
re: LeBron/Cavs Want Dun Dun: Update - Dunleavy Re-signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4E View Post
Seemed like plenty of Bulls fans were annoyed that this guy was playing over McDermott over the course of last season, although he was clearly a better NBA basketball player.

If the Bulls are a "win now" team they should want him on their roster since he's a solid role player and was their best three point shooter last season.

If the Bulls are a "win later" team that is going to be handing out the development minutes to guys like McDermott, then who cares? Let him go to the Cavs or wherever .... our window is down the road.

If they resign him though, don't be surprised / angry if he actually plays a lot, especially if he's clearly better than McDermott again.
Welcome back, K4E.
K4E likes this.
__________________
Dornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫
Photobucket
 
Dornado's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 14,320
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
re: LeBron/Cavs Want Dun Dun: Update - Dunleavy Re-signs

Not crazy about this, though I'm sure it makes sense if you are convinced that our window is the next 2-3 seasons. Does anyone know if all three years are guaranteed?

I'm on the "Free Dougie McBuckets!" bandwagon (mostly to see if we have something there or if we should move on), personally. This probably doesn't bode well for that, but with Hoiberg in town who knows.
yodurk and Fergus like this.
__________________
Dornado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
Moderator
Photobucket
 
jnrjr79's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Location Location
Posts: 8,415
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
re: LeBron/Cavs Want Dun Dun: Update - Dunleavy Re-signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dornado View Post
Not crazy about this, though I'm sure it makes sense if you are convinced that our window is the next 2-3 seasons. Does anyone know if all three years are guaranteed?

I'm on the "Free Dougie McBuckets!" bandwagon (mostly to see if we have something there or if we should move on), personally. This probably doesn't bode well for that, but with Hoiberg in town who knows.

The third year is only partially guaranteed, per Woj, but the degree to which it is guaranteed has not yet been reported as far as I've seen.
jnrjr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Legend
 
yodurk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 10,189
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Re: LeBron/Cavs Want Dun Dun: Update - Dunleavy Re-signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnrjr79 View Post
The third year is only partially guaranteed, per Woj, but the degree to which it is guaranteed has not yet been reported as far as I've seen.
I'm glad to hear Year 3 is only partial guaranteed. My first reaction to this deal was "we overpaid", and maybe in time it'll become clear that we did overpay, BUT...let's stop and think rationally for a moment:

-- We've been hearing for months about the cap going up significantly over the next 2-3 years. Guys are going to be signing deals that in the past would seem ludicrous. This is NBA inflation at work.

-- The Bulls' #1 rival at the moment, the Cavs, allegedly wanted to sign Dunleavy. This move keeps a good player while blocking a rival from gaining an asset.

-- The Bulls already lack veteran shooters as it is, and that type of player is essential for Hoiberg's system to work. Dunleavy's game is very well suited to Hoiberg's system so I think he continues to produce for us.

-- Dunleavy plays an old man game anyways so he's one of those guys who won't likely just fall off a cliff randomly like we've seen with Kirk Hinrich.

-- Bulls are already over the cap and not positioned for cap space anytime soon, so it's really Reinsdorf who suffers from this more than us. The word on the street is Reinsdorf has given the green light for luxury tax this season.

That being said, Dunleavy at $3M per year the past two seasons was alot more appealling and I was hoping he'd stay in the price range. But the impact of him getting this deal versus a deal that is a few M per year less, won't really affect things in a meaningful way, so I'm OK with it.
yodurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Jesus Shuttlesworth
 
Marcus13's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Age: 31
Posts: 17,071
Mentioned: 176 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Re: LeBron/Cavs Want Dun Dun: Update - Dunleavy Re-signs

^^^All very solid points and I think the Bulls made the correct decision on this one.
__________________
2015 Legends Draft Roster

PG : Chauncey Billups/Terry Porter
SG : Mitch Richmond/Dale Ellis
SF : Elgin Baylor/Bernard King
PF : Marcus Camby/Kiki Vandeweghe
C : David Robinson/Brad Daughtery
Marcus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:50 AM   #12 (permalink)
Moderator
Photobucket
 
jnrjr79's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Location Location
Posts: 8,415
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Re: LeBron/Cavs Want Dun Dun: Update - Dunleavy Re-signs

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodurk View Post
I'm glad to hear Year 3 is only partial guaranteed. My first reaction to this deal was "we overpaid", and maybe in time it'll become clear that we did overpay, BUT...let's stop and think rationally for a moment:

-- We've been hearing for months about the cap going up significantly over the next 2-3 years. Guys are going to be signing deals that in the past would seem ludicrous. This is NBA inflation at work.

-- The Bulls' #1 rival at the moment, the Cavs, allegedly wanted to sign Dunleavy. This move keeps a good player while blocking a rival from gaining an asset.

-- The Bulls already lack veteran shooters as it is, and that type of player is essential for Hoiberg's system to work. Dunleavy's game is very well suited to Hoiberg's system so I think he continues to produce for us.

-- Dunleavy plays an old man game anyways so he's one of those guys who won't likely just fall off a cliff randomly like we've seen with Kirk Hinrich.

-- Bulls are already over the cap and not positioned for cap space anytime soon, so it's really Reinsdorf who suffers from this more than us. The word on the street is Reinsdorf has given the green light for luxury tax this season.

That being said, Dunleavy at $3M per year the past two seasons was alot more appealling and I was hoping he'd stay in the price range. But the impact of him getting this deal versus a deal that is a few M per year less, won't really affect things in a meaningful way, so I'm OK with it.

Yeah, pretty much this. The Bulls are not going to be players in free agency for the next couple of years, most likely. They might as well retain all the assets they can, particularly when this did not require cap space or an exception.
jnrjr79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Legend
 
yodurk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 10,189
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Re: LeBron/Cavs Want Dun Dun: Update - Dunleavy Re-signs

That's right, a key part of this signing is that we had bird rights on Dunleavy and it didn't require an exception to get done. We still have our exception available to go out and possibly get a backup PG.
yodurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:45 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2002 2013 BasketballBoards.net.