1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So essentially

MIL GETS
========
Alvin Williams (assuming he does not opt out)
Eric Williams (assuming he does not opt out)
4th? over all pick in suspect 06 draft

TOR GETS
=======
Jamaal Mags - the starting center in his prime (a proven comodity)
Cap space so essentially they would keep 13 mil under the cap and still have Mags on board.
Free roster spot (2 for 1 you do the math)
Experience and rebounding

Do this and you just need to address the <b>PG situation with the remaining cap space (ahem trade *cough*)</b> in the off season.

<b>2-5 this team would be solid</b> (Mags,Bosh,Charlie V, Mo Pete/graham)

.... and before all you nay-sayers flame this point with some rubbish about Pryz or someone else seriously think about how hard it is to get durable tough rebounding CENTER in the NBA.

NOTE:
I am only posting this because Lamarcus looked a little flakey mentally in the tourney as did Rudy Gay. I think these dudes have all the physical ability but (although they are young) it seems a rather large mystery if they can get it together mentally. And that 7 foot itallian kid is a Charlie V duplicate so I can see why BC is looking to move the pick.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
sounds pretty good. but why not get their 06 pick?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
There is no way MIL does that deal. The owner is very cost conscious and taking on that dead weight payroll is just not an option for them.

Knicks gave up an unprotected #1 plus expiring contract to get Curry. Mags could fetch the Bucks more than our junk plus a lotto pick.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lucky777s said:
There is no way MIL does that deal. The owner is very cost conscious and taking on that dead weight payroll is just not an option for them.

Knicks gave up an unprotected #1 plus expiring contract to get Curry. Mags could fetch the Bucks more than our junk plus a lotto pick.
possible but you are missing something improtant....

--> the knicks negotiated their own long term deal with curry before doing the deal

also this is a cost concious deal as they would have EWILL off the books and a standout (potentially) rookie under a rookie contract for 5 yrs - so they would eat it in the first 1/2 but in the long term if they felt strongly about one of the top picks they could parlyay that into a valuable peice who never gets more than 3.5 mil over the next 5 yrs.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'd rather just keep Alvin and let him retire a Raptor. It seems almost a given that he will retire after picking up his option, then I believe under the new CBA his contract will come off the cap because he has to retire due to injury and he hasn't played 10 games in the past season (someone please correct this if it is wrong). As far as I know, if he is traded the Bucks can not have his contract come off the books in this manner, only the team he was with when the injury took place, which is why Mashburn hasn't been able to be traded.

Maybe substitute Sow for Alvin giving the Bucks another body to fill in down low with Mags leaving. This would also lower their lux tax a bit next year. In terms of getting the Bucks 2007 pick on top of Mags, that would be a huge stretch and something I don't think Bucks would be willing to do. But even with EWill and our first for Mags, it's not too bad. Maybe we could get Ilyasova as well, I've heard good things about this kid.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
And you think Toronto would do that deal without first having Mags agree to an extension? Not likely. Its the same thing. We aren't giving away our lotto pick for a 1 year rental of Mags.

TJ Ford is in Bosh's draft class so they have to come up with his money. Alvin would screw up their cap space that year.

Milwaukee has their wings covered with Redd, Simmons, and Ilyasova. They have the guard spots covered with TJ, MoWilliams, and Charlie Bell but they need to re-sign all of them.

The big man spots have Bogut, Gadzurich locked up. Need to replace or resign JoeSmith or Mags.

What they really need is veteran leadership. Proven players. I don't see them going younger. They are in win now mode.

The trade is just too sweet for Toronto which raises major red flags. I don't see the player available in the draft that makes MIL that much better.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
I don't know that this trade is attractive to either team.

Do I want to take on Alvin for another 2 years for MIL?

Do I want to trade my trump card for a guy with one year left for TOR?

I think a S&T of MJ would be better for both teams, but I would not give up that pick for Mags w/o a reasonable extension. Plus, they would have to take AW which they would not.

I would prefer to get a good PG with that pick but that's me.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
blowuptheraptors said:
I don't know that this trade is attractive to either team.

Do I want to trade my trump card for a guy with one year left for TOR?

I would prefer to get a good PG with that pick but that's me.
it is not just you but last year was the draft for PG's this year there is slim pickins (+ perhaps the most NBA ready PG will be on the board by the time TOR gets 2nd rounder - > Dee Brown) .... so since you need a veteran help up from and a pg WHY not get the vet up front (mags) is my argument and try to work something out for the PG after.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
charlz said:
it is not just you but last year was the draft for PG's this year there is slim pickins (+ perhaps the most NBA ready PG will be on the board by the time TOR gets 2nd rounder - > Dee Brown) .... so since you need a veteran help up from and a pg WHY not get the vet up front (mags) is my argument and try to work something out for the PG after.
I think you know what I would do up front. Thus this is why I would use the bulk of that value on a PG. But that's me, not BC.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I've been wavering on whether or not to go after Magloire. Everyone knows that he gives us what we need and he actually wants to come to TO, rather than wouldn't mind.

If we bring him here before he becomes a FA in 2007, we would have the luxury of being able to go over the cap to re-sign him. With all of the other top tier FAs being available next summer, he may not get as much attention as a lot of the other younger guys. Regardless of Magloire saying he wants a max deal, I don't see to many teams blowing all of their capspace on giving him a max deal. Lots of players want max deals, doesn't necessarily mean that they'll get it. I think that next year, a 6 year $50 million deal would get it done. I would feel much safer offering Mags this deal next yearthan giving Przy or Nene a similar (or even slightly smaller) deal this summer.

As far as PG goes, it would be nice to get one, but I still haven't written off Jose as many other people have. The guy has only had about 20-25 healthy games this season as a rookie, ROOKIE. Compare him to Ridnour's rookie year or Nash's first 3 seasons and it's not too different. At the start of the year he was looking great, I don't think he'll ever be an all-star PG but I definitely think he can become a solid starter in the league. I think we should at least give him at least a year to see what he can do. Maybe sign a guy like Mcleod or Banks to back him up or (I'm sure that Shookem will love this) bring over Roko this season as he is better than anything we could get in this year's draft. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on Barea in the second round, he seems to be proving himself at Portsmouth and could be a nice 3rd string guy. Also, keep Martin on a vet min to help teach these guys or just give him an assistant's position.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I feel BC will try to find a deal similar to this one with the bucks, but overall it all depends what else the Bucks are being offered for Magloire. Our package of a couple expiring deals with a 1st sounds alright, but let's see what the market is offering first.

The Hornets got Desmond Mason and a pick for Magloire(with 2 years left on contract), so that might be a realistic comparison to start with.

Knowing Magloires value, I am almost certain that he will be moved this offseason, I am just hoping that Milwaukee see's something they like in the top 5 this draft, then maybe we can get a deal done.

Reactions: AirJordan™

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,113 Posts
Nobody is going to take Alvin, even Isiah.

But as far as Magloire goes, trading pieces including our pick for him is a possibility. We don't have to match salary because we are under the cap. We can trade a player and the pick for him, ie. E-Will and the #5. As far as I know.

Seems expensive, though, considering Mags is a free agent in another year. The problem is that our cap situation might not be as good in another year meaning we might not have the ability to sign him outright, requiring a sign and trade where we might give up similar assets anyways.

Interesting to see what transpires. As much as I don't trust him I know Magloire would make a big difference on our team. He wouldn't be the last piece we'd need to add but any time you can get a capable centre that plays a style complimentary to your star player you're looking good.

·
Registered
456 Posts
speedythief said:
Nobody is going to take Alvin, even Isiah
agreed..no one in their right mind would take alvin...as sad as it is, theres a 99% chance this guy is through...

speedythief said:
Seems expensive, though, considering Mags is a free agent in another year. The problem is that our cap situation might not be as good in another year meaning we might not have the ability to sign him outright, requiring a sign and trade where we might give up similar assets anyways.
also agree with the pt. that a 5th pick is way too expensive for mags...why use up a valuable asset like a high lottery pick for someone we legitamely have a chance at in 2007?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Thinking more about it, I think that given the chance, I would expand on this deal to include a few more pieces. Especially after watching the Raptors lately and seeing how much Chris Bosh masks so many of our deficiencies. We really are a terrible team without him. I'm not sure if the Bucks would go for it but:

Toronto Gets: Mags, Mo Williams, 2008 1st (top 10 protection)

Milwaukee Gets: 4th or 5th pick, EWill, MoPete. They can fill their PF need with the draft. MoPete with Redd would be an unreal SG/SF combo with Simmons off the bench. Bell and Ford are a good combo at PG so they wouldn't be too hurt by the loss of Williams.

We lose our fan favourite in MoPete but young PG who would complement Jose's game well and a homegrown tough rebounding machine in Magloire who would instantly become a fan favourite. We only take on an extra 2 million with this trade, so we would still have a lot of capspace to use on a 2 guard (maybe Flip) or some bench players.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Horrible trade for us. Magloire is a unrestricted free agent after next season and is looking for a max deal. I highly doubt BC will give it to him, so it's basically dropping a top 5 pick for a one-year rental. Trust me, Mags is not going to be worth that much next year. Look at the other high-end final year types this season.. most of them didn't even get traded. The Bucks are going to be scrambling to get something off for Mags next year. Anyways, the point is: no one is going to give up a top 5 pick for a one-year rental.

·
Registered
456 Posts
magloire might be asking (foolishly) for max money, but he certainly wont get it..he'll probably get around the 10 million mark...

d. smith put something interesting in his internet column a while ago saying pretty much not too hold your breath about magloire coming to t.o now that he was reportedly re-buffed twice by the raps (1st draft day deal nixed, 2nd, calling his agent to call toronto to see a deal could get done with them, before finalizing the mil. trade...) given how reacted to the nash celebrity charity fiasco, he seems immature enough to take offense these "slights"...

i have a feeling colangelo might have to work his magic to be able to get magloire to look our way again...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
no_free_baskets said:
magloire might be asking (foolishly) for max money, but he certainly wont get it..he'll probably get around the 10 million mark...

d. smith put something interesting in his internet column a while ago saying pretty much not too hold your breath about magloire coming to t.o now that he was reportedly re-buffed twice by the raps (1st draft day deal nixed, 2nd, calling his agent to call toronto to see a deal could get done with them, before finalizing the mil. trade...) given how reacted to the nash celebrity charity fiasco, he seems immature enough to take offense these "slights"...

i have a feeling colangelo might have to work his magic to be able to get magloire to look our way again...
Well, perhaps Magloire and Co. will recognize there has been a 'regime change' in Toronto and that what happened in the past has very little bearing on present management decision. Who knows?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.