Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hartford vs Binghamton- Postponed per Hartford this week as well. I believe thats a month plus pause.

Maine at UNH- UNH wins at home , UNH has one of the best starting fives in the league, look for them to take care of business at home.

Lowell at Albany- Both teams are offensively challenged but solid defensively. I like Lowells athleticism and rebounding to prevail in this one on the road vs the scrappy but sloppy Albany team. Lowell matches up well vs the danes Devondre Perry. Lowell wins close on the road.

Stony Brook at Vermont GAME OF THE NIGHT- Its no secret Coach Ford needs to win this year. Look for the talented Stony Brook team to have its runs and play inspired basketball. Ultimately , this solid Vermont team should pull away in the second half. Stony Brook is not there yet and even if they were its a tall order to win in Burlington. Vermont beat solid teams all through non conference and handled UNH with relative ease at home. Nothing changes the Catamounts roll at home.

UMBC at NJIT- Umbc struggled with turnovers coming off a month long break vs Lowell, they are also without Darnell Rogers. I like NJIT at home . NJIT handled Binghamton with ease at home. O'Hearn and Coleman are two of the best in the conference. If UMBC did not have long covid break I may be picking umbc but just no way there ready to compete with this surging NJIT team after a month break.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Hartford”s 1/12 & 1/15 mens games are postponed due to Covid.
Hmmmmm...given that the league has said that teams should play as long as they have one coach and 8 players healthy, it is becoming a bit suspect that Hartford is cancelling games 5 days out and is the only team yet to play a league game.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Hmmmmm...given that the league has said that teams should play as long as they have one coach and 8 players healthy, it is becoming a bit suspect that Hartford is cancelling games 5 days out and is the only team yet to play a league game.
As was suggested in another thread, are we about to get a memo that Hartford is canceling the rest of their season?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If Hartford isn't cancelling they will be in a steep hole. To your point I believe UMBC had all players test positive but still played immediately after the period, Albany has had a few guys out and played, Binghamton, Stony Brook, NJIT etc. . Not sure if there is an easy solution here. Even the league play as great as it is to have it back, we cannot jump to conclusions until we see teams at full strength (if). Im also interested in learning more about the rules. Examples, teams that have already been wrecked by covid and gone through the long pause, are they tested again with potential to shutdown again or no? As far as Hartford goes I don't see how they come back from such a long layoff where the majority of the teams are playing through competitively.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I'm not ready for Hartford conspiracies yet. I think for one, we'd hear something from a reputed media outlet or at least a national basketball reporter online. I highly doubt Gallagher would keep his mouth shut if that were happening.

Maybe the administration has employed prevention and mitigation policies that are passively negligent of athletes and not putting them in a position to not test positive (by doing the absolute bare minimum), but I really doubt they're actually manufacturing fake positive results in an effort to shut down the season. The admins gain nothing from doing that; something that would actually cost them their jobs.

That, or it could be entirely on the players spreading to one another. That's what some of y'all thought about UMBC going on pause after seeing one maskless photo of the team, so how would this be any different?

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Whoa, I wasn't suggesting that they were trying to do this. I am not a conspiracy guy at all. I was working under the assumption that the pause was a result of covid being spread "legitimately", but that because of how much time they have missed & the number of games already postponed/canceled, it would provide the admin a reason to effectively cancel the rest of the season, much like Maine did last year. I wasn't even remotely on the page of the Hartford admin trying to manufacture this at all.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Whoa, I wasn't suggesting that they were trying to do this. I am not a conspiracy guy at all. I was working under the assumption that the pause was a result of covid being spread "legitimately", but that because of how much time they have missed & the number of games already postponed/canceled, it would provide the admin a reason to effectively cancel the rest of the season, much like Maine did last year. I wasn't even remotely on the page of the Hartford admin trying to manufacture this at all.
I think this nails the question as to when or if they play again. The other question is whether Hartford is operating under different contract chasing and isolation rules than the other nine schools. Yes, the league said if a team has eight players and one coach cleared, they will play, but do schools have different definitions of what cleared is?

It doesn't help that these issues are coming from a school that has expressed no desire to compete in Division I athletics.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I think this nails the question as to when or if they play again. The other question is whether Hartford is operating under different contract chasing and isolation rules than the other nine schools. Yes, the league said if a team has eight players and one coach cleared, they will play, but do schools have different definitions of what cleared is?

It doesn't help that these issues are coming from a school that has expressed no desire to compete in Division I athletics.
I just saw that the upcoming women's game was cancelled too. That prompted me to see if the women's team has played ANY games. They have played two, so it's probably just too soon to draw any conclusions. It is certainly an interesting coincidence, if that's what it is...

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
The whole "save Hartford" athletics Facebook and Twitter people Woodward watch or whatever it's called were trying to make it about that as a thing when the UVM game was canceled. So seeing that earlier and the idea of cancelation of the season floating around here, I just said my piece. I don't know who runs those accounts but at this point they're a total joke and unhelpful, looking for more proof of a fix being in, and really fighting a battle they're not going to win anyhow. That and they're liking or retweeting anti-vax stances about the campus mandate for students to have it...sooo...

I have a feeling given the circumstances this year that the league has laid forth (the idea that you do have a pathway to play + vaccination/boosers, cut down CDC times), Hartford will have to compete for the rest of the year (play the games they are cleared to play) and won't be able to withdraw. I'm sure their admin doesn't care what happens, but at the same time...play along because the AE might then be like "fine, give us that exit fee now, plus a penalty."

·
Premium Member
33,793 Posts
If Hartford COVIDS-out of season, will Traci Carter be able to return next season and play for another school(?), because if so I'm here for that.

Everything else is just noise.

·
Premium Member
33,793 Posts
11-16 from 3? Wow.

Reactions: ProfessorDavid
1 - 20 of 56 Posts