Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the chances of this happening in any league tournament? Have to think Temple will be favored by a couple points and Xavier by 4 or 5.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
Last time Fordham played at Xavier they were 11 point dogs and lost by 18 or so. I am guessing the line will be in the 8 to 9 point range.

Xavier has got to like getting Fordham instead of LaSalle.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I've always liked the Rams, and I'm really going to like you guys if we can beat you tomorrow.

Congrats on your biggest A10 win ever!

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
It's funny, all the angst on the board the last week or so trying to figure out who got the byes. Turns out to get a bye was to get cursed.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Mac539 said:
2 of the byes were probably the result of an unbalanced schedule.
Making the tourney a bigger farse than it already is. What a site last night on the A10 TV Network...Fordham and LaSalle playing in front of 50 people and dozens of pigeons. A10 Branded Hoops at its finest...March MAdness A10 Style...cavernous arena...hello...hello...hello

·
Registered
76 Posts
we can't get out of Cincy fast enough. It's been awful, even worse than the Spectrum. AC will be interesting but I'm not a big believer. We need to get back to the Palestra and Dayton and add a 3rd site for a regular rotation.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Cincy has been awful, and for the life of me, I dont understand why they dont sked Xavier as the second game. That way you at least get the crowd shuffling in during the second half of the first game.

Gotta say, though, I have seen a LOT of empty seats in early rounds of the Big 10, ACC and Big East tournaments over the past few days. Greensboro looked half empty and MSG was sparsely attended on Wednesday. Not as bad as Cincy, but not great. Of course their attendance will pick up and ours wont. Big difference.

Looking forward to next year. Will be heading to Atlantic City.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree that Cincy has been very very bad except for the X games. My question to those of you who have been to a few of these....how many fans of other teams have you seen travel to sites wherever they happen to have been. DO you really think UMASS, URI, ST B, Fordham, LASalle, Richmond or Duquesne will travel anyone? How about the rest of the schools. I dont see Temple with a rabid fan base. I havent seen these out of town schools travel well in all the years at the Spectrum. I think AC will be worse. I don't think AC has the lure of a destination for most peoples weekends. I thnk 2000-3000 tops is all we could possibly expect. What school is going to travel well? I just havent seen it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When the tournament last played in Philly, Fordham was coached by Bob Hill, was awful and so no one went to see us play. We would certianly send more people to Philly than Cincy and other schools are probably the same. That being said, we should not go back to the Spectrum. the Palestra would be fine. Dayton should be kept, too, b/c the city supported the event.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
WH said:
Cincy has been awful, and for the life of me, I dont understand why they dont sked Xavier as the second game. That way you at least get the crowd shuffling in during the second half of the first game.
You can't do that in a situation where teams are playing everyday and every hour of rest is significant...I don't think it's possible but it would make the tourney a bigger joke than it is now.

·
Registered
225 Posts
TV coverage of Fordham-Lasalle was embarrassing. I kept hoping it would not come down to a last shot. I did not want national coverage of a tight game showing the few dozen people in the arena. I think we should try Philly (after AC). Then see if SLU or Charlotte can offer a reasonable guarantee. If not, back to Dayton.
Hey, just noticed: we are all rookies--at least is the messageboard program. Any chance of restoring our previous status--if not our posts?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
bfg said:
When the tournament last played in Philly, Fordham was coached by Bob Hill, was awful and so no one went to see us play. We would certianly send more people to Philly than Cincy and other schools are probably the same. That being said, we should not go back to the Spectrum. the Palestra would be fine. Dayton should be kept, too, b/c the city supported the event.
There's just a huge difference in the venues between the Barn and UD Arena.

For starters there is nothing fan friendly about US Barn Arena. It's hard to explain if you've never been there. It's has terrible parking and is basicly located at a dead end...that being the Ohio River. It's actually easier to park in Kentucky and walk across a bridge to the Barn than park in Ohio. For those of you who don't know the Ohio River is a BIG river to walk over and traffic to/from Kentucky and moving along either side of the Ohio is at a snails pace. Then the Barn is a mid 70's vintage all purpose civic arena including hockey. This vintage of arena sucks. Next the difference between UD and the Barn...there is no carrot to dangle in front of patrons. UD dangles carrots...keeping a historical purchasing record on patrons and how patrons support Arena events determines pecking order for access to premium events. I'm a avid supporter and always buy for events so next week during the the UD Arena hosted 1st and 2nd round NCAA games I have 8 fabulous seats. US BArn Arena and X don't have anything to entice patrons with. Bottonline...the A10 needs to get rid of Linda Bruno and rethink their future...I'm just hoping future UD recruits didn't happen in on the A10 Network last night because the ACC and Big East were on the channels bookending the A10 network...what a PR nightmare.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would be glad to see it back in Philly, but lets remember it was there 5 years ago and no one came. They can flash all the attendence numbers they want...I was there all those years for the Wed-Thurs games and it was dead as US Bank Arena yesterday. And this is with 3 teams from Philladelphia playing. Until most schools have some traveling fans I dont see a reasonable solution other than someones home gym. Move this weekend to the Cintas Center, force top 4 tier ticket holders to buy package...you have 7000+ guaranteed and seelouts for X's sessions.

·
Registered
76 Posts
GW Dawgs said:
Go back to the Palestra. Great sight lines, 7000-8000 seats. A true basketball temple.
I'd also like to give DC a try. 1st round at the Smith Center and the quarters, semis, and finals @ Verizon. If it doesn't work, then we don't go back, but I'd like to give them a shot.

Also, this there anyplace in New England, other than Mullins or Ryan, that's worth trying?

·
Registered
77 Posts
My hope with AC in driving distance for many more fans attendance may go up if east coast teams make it past the first day.

I for one will be in AC next year if URI qualifies for the A-10 tourney.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Providence Civic Center will be going thru a big renovation in the next year. They will be trying for NCAA first round games in the future. Do not know if they would be interested in the A-10 tourney.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts