Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UMBC at Maine- Maine will beat somebody eventually and here it is. UMBC has lost all momentum pre covid and no signs of gaining it back. Look for Maine to win close here at home and get on the board.

Lowell at UNH- UNH has a lack of depth problem and unless there starters are all hitting it shows. I will take Unh close as lowell will challenge with defense and rebounding on the road.

Hartford at Vermont- The forum got a little out of its minds Wednesday- Thursday. No hartford is not going to challenge Vermont, at all. Hartford is 3-10. They had a nice win but please. Vermont by 25, maybe more if they are motivated.

Stony Brook at Albany- GAME OF THE NIGHT. Earlier in the year I called Albany '"scrappy but sloppy". Lately, you can call them just "scrappy". Killings team plays very hard, they foul a lot which creates the refs to even it up in the second half, they rebound well , Cerruti and Horton are both playing "there" best basketball. Stony brook will be without Olijiny who I am told may not play rest of season. I like Albany at home as a low scoring foul fest favors them but look for stony brook to pull away late.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I didn’t know it was going on. I go by the america east webpage for the schedule.

binghamton at njit - look for a healthy Binghamton to steal one on the road. After a fast start NJIT is in a down spiral, perhaps they have been “figured out.” Binghamton lets it fly from deep and should be able to even the season series on the road.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
I can't believe that Albany is playing as well as it has, after losing Perry. DK proving his coaching chops right now, winning games with a group that doesn't include 3 of his pre-season top 8 (Perry, Amica, and Drumgoole) and Shafer, who was set to contribute off the bench. Perry and Amica were going to be starters, and from my understanding, Drumgoole the 6th or 7th man.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Conversationally I cannot either but he has his players playing very hard, fouling, just out competing everyone. Still not much x and os but his guys are bought in and Play Hard! I lived in Albany for three years and still follow them here and there. Losing Perry was huge as he would be very good in leauge. Maybe theyre just having good luck so far we shall see as season moves on but hats off to Killings so far. I will disagree with you in Drumgoole he has done abdolutely nothing in the ncaa which does matter in terms if saying its a big loss, - same for Amica whose played what two games in two years, Shafer I can see he seems like he has potential to give minutes.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
UMBC at Maine- Maine will beat somebody eventually and here it is. UMBC has lost all momentum pre covid and no signs of gaining it back. Look for Maine to win close here at home and get on the board.

Lowell at UNH- UNH has a lack of depth problem and unless there starters are all hitting it shows. I will take Lowell close as defense and rebounding travels on the road.

Hartford at Vermont- The forum got a little out of its minds Wednesday- Thursday. No hartford is not going to challenge Vermont, at all. Hartford is 3-10. They had a nice win but please. Vermont by 25, maybe more if they are motivated.

Stony Brook at Albany- GAME OF THE NIGHT. Earlier in the year I called Albany '"scrappy but sloppy". Lately, you can call them just "scrappy". Killings team plays very hard, they foul a lot which creates the refs to even it up in the second half, they rebound well , Cerruti and Horton are both playing "there" best basketball. Stony brook will be without Olijiny who I am told may not play rest of season. I like Albany at home as a low scoring foul fest favors them.
I feel like this is directed at me. I'll take any action that UVM does not win by 25 or more...

·
Super Moderator
6,909 Posts
This may or may not have an effect for tomorrow, but the next two UMBC women’s games, tomorrow and Wednesday, have been ppd. Hopefully the men traveled safely, but it’s something to look out for.

·
Gr8t Dane
868 Posts
. I will disagree with you in Drumgoole he has done abdolutely nothing in the ncaa which does matter in terms if saying its a big loss, - same for Amica whose played what two games in two years, Shafer I can see he seems like he has potential to give minutes.
Drumgoole was a big talent and highly recruited out of high school. Went to the ACC and didn't get a lot of time. He got hurt for part of it, but looked pretty good when he did play. Even started a few games as a freshman. So no, while he hasn't done much in his 2 years in the NCAA to date, he should have been extremely good in the America East. He still has at least 2 seasons left, could be 3 depending on covid and injury redshirt for this season.

Amica was the NYS High School player of the year on a state champtionship team back to back. Might be the fastest player I have ever seen, and was a major steal by Albany. Unfortunately the injury bug caught him as a freshman and only got a few minutes in one game - but look amazing in those few minutes. So while no one knows who he is in college at this point, he was expected to be a big piece of the puzzle. Hopefully he recovers and can get back on the floor.

Schafer has shown potential for years, but just never put it together. There were reports that he was the best player in the preseason this year, as there was last year as well. Who knows if it would have translated into better performance this year, but he was definitely supposed to contribute.

Dre Perry has been the leader and best player on the team this year, and his loss is terrible for the team as he is such a good athlete, but if you look at his efficiency stats and some of the metrics they are no where near as good as I thought they would be. While the loss is huge for the team, I have a feeling that him being out has been the catalyst for this recent resurgence. The team is forced to play more as a team and move the ball instead of everything running through him. I bet everyones shooting percentage will rise. Don't get me wrong, the team is better with him than without him, and I wish the injury only had him out for a few weeks instead of the rest of the season, but damn, having him out to help develop the team like it has, then have him back around conference tournament time could have been scary for the rest of the league.

Someone posted, either earlier in this thread or in another one, that Killings is having success with the worst roster in the league. I didn't respond then and bit my tongue, but that person was smoking crack and obviously does not know the roster or pedigree of much of the team.

·
Registered
6,692 Posts
Reactions: VT Cats Fan

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Drumgoole was a big talent and highly recruited out of high school. Went to the ACC and didn't get a lot of time. He got hurt for part of it, but looked pretty good when he did play. Even started a few games as a freshman. So no, while he hasn't done much in his 2 years in the NCAA to date, he should have been extremely good in the America East. He still has at least 2 seasons left, could be 3 depending on covid and injury redshirt for this season.

Amica was the NYS High School player of the year on a state champtionship team back to back. Might be the fastest player I have ever seen, and was a major steal by Albany. Unfortunately the injury bug caught him as a freshman and only got a few minutes in one game - but look amazing in those few minutes. So while no one knows who he is in college at this point, he was expected to be a big piece of the puzzle. Hopefully he recovers and can get back on the floor.

Schafer has shown potential for years, but just never put it together. There were reports that he was the best player in the preseason this year, as there was last year as well. Who knows if it would have translated into better performance this year, but he was definitely supposed to contribute.

Dre Perry has been the leader and best player on the team this year, and his loss is terrible for the team as he is such a good athlete, but if you look at his efficiency stats and some of the metrics they are no where near as good as I thought they would be. While the loss is huge for the team, I have a feeling that him being out has been the catalyst for this recent resurgence. The team is forced to play more as a team and move the ball instead of everything running through him. I bet everyones shooting percentage will rise. Don't get me wrong, the team is better with him than without him, and I wish the injury only had him out for a few weeks instead of the rest of the season, but damn, having him out to help develop the team like it has, then have him back around conference tournament time could have been scary for the rest of the league.

Someone posted, either earlier in this thread or in another one, that Killings is having success with the worst roster in the league. I didn't respond then and bit my tongue, but that person was smoking crack and obviously does not know the roster or pedigree of much of the team.
This is a pretty solid job of justification, I like it.

Just to clear it up for anyone questioning what I wrote: Amica was stated to start, end discussion. Kid has been deemed electric by two separate coaching groups at Albany. Now that being said, having two hip surgeries....only time will tell. Also, the current staff felt Drumgoole was a big piece of the pie. Considering DK's ability to scout players, I will take him on his word.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Time will tell on the albany roster- my point was there doing great given they have a bad roster, losing Perry was huge. I will choose to respectfully disagree that Amica Drumgoole and Shafer would be considered impact guys. Still early but impressed with Killings. Can revisit the rest of the roster in 6 more games.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
VT Cats Fan: I admire your chutzpa, and agree that UVM should be considered the favorite against Hartford, but comparing the boxscores of both of their games against UNH and watching at least part of the replays doesn't really show me that one team is going to romp into the victory lap. UVM did appear to defend somewhat better against their only common opponent, but both teams shot the ball exceptionally well. Since this is the only real info we have going into Saturday's game, I really can't see where a big beatdown is going to come from. I expect UVM to win by 8 or so, but I would certainly be happy if you win your bets easily and can buy that new boat you have been dreaming of with enough left over for a trip to watch the Big Dance.

·
Gr8t Dane
868 Posts
Time will tell on the albany roster- my point was there doing great given they have a bad roster, losing Perry was huge. I will choose to respectfully disagree that Amica Drumgoole and Shafer would be considered impact guys. Still early but impressed with Killings. Can revisit the rest of the roster in 6 more games.
And my comment is that even with the players that were supposed to contribute out for the year, I disagree that it is a bad roster. Killings did an incredible job of recruiting, and the talent is there top to bottom. Players like Reddish and Little that look like all conference players in two years that aren't getting much play yet. At the start of the year I had no questions on the roster, just the speed of development and how Killings would do with Xs and Os in his first gig as head coach.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts