Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
33,793 Posts
That game was back & forth and felt closer then final score, but Shungu & Davis just seemed to take over. Really believe that’s the best duo in the conference.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
UVM is really hard to beat. UNH 3's stopped going and UVM took the ball inside. It was a perfect game to end the drought. UNH will be there in the AE tournament.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Binghamton and NJIT are now both 2-0 conference play, one will be 3-0 after Saturday, who would of thought.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Good win for UVM, much closer than the score
For two teams that hadn’t played in ages, I thought that was pretty well done all around. UNH looked a little gassed at the end to me, which I think helped UVM pull away a little. But that’s a good team. Rematch should be fun assuming it happens.

Monster game by Shungu. That was really impressive. Powell didn’t do much offensively but he is really solid on the other end. The lower body strength lets him guard bigger guys effectively. He’s just hard to move.

We did a nice job containing Martinez. Although that one-legged fadeaway he has in the lane is really pretty. Nowitzki style.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Loved Robin's aggressiveness tonight. Mazzulla's ability to move without the ball and make cuts to the basketball + finish around the rim is underrated in my opinion. Also, does anyone know the status of Demuth's injury? While I think Nick is doing an okay job being a backup to Davis, I'd like some more depth in the frontcourt. Bigger guys are backing Nick in the paint and could be a problem down the road (not that Demuth is any bigger than Nick).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
UNHs downfall is still the lack of depth, thats ultimately where this game was won and they gassed out. Great game by Shunghu and Robin. UVM appears to be the strongest team in league but I cannot say they will be as dominant as they were under lamb (not that that is a realistic expectation). I also want to see them play more games vs top half of league (last year they had cake schedule), if theres an area Becker stands out from the rest of league coaches its his players always develop and his teams get better as season goes, I just want to see what they do to stony brook, njit, umbc first. Argument can be made that Shunghu and Davis can be the best duo in the league.

NJIT continues the winning ways this time winning at Lowell. Lowell has now lost at Bing and home to NJIT. This is a big win for NJIT. They have some nice pieces and I believe will finish top half of the league barring injuries. They can really score the ball. Lowell is in a slump, they did beat dayton and George Washington. The dayton win being impressive but they have not been able to win lately.

Binghamton also continued the winning ways. They have some interesting pieces , good length at the forward positions and a couple nice shooters. There best player did not play and they handled albany on the road. Dre Perry played well for Albany U. I dont view Binghamton as a true contender but I do believe they will be a tough out for a lot of teams if making there 3s. Falcob had a huge game. Two words come to mind with the new Albany Team "Sloppy and Scrappy."

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
AE Refs in mid-season form I see.
"2nd Half AE Refs" are totally a thing, and I won't hear any arguments otherwise. I've seen too many games where it felt like someone went to the refs at halftime and said "This game is moving too quickly and/or it's too fun. Fix it." All I'm asking is if you're going to be bad, be the same kind of bad the whole game.

As noted by others, a really great game last night by both teams considering the length of the layoffs involved, and whatever other intangible rust may come with that. I really liked what we did offensively. Obviously Benny had the kind of "career night" game that is above and beyond expectations, but I think we did an especially good job of taking advantage of the opportunities UNH was giving us. Especially early in the 2nd Half: the 3-pointers weren't really falling, so we just pounded our way to the hoop. I couldn't believe how effective that was, mostly because I couldn't believe UNH didn't figure out a way to stop it. And as someone else alluded to, that's always been Robin's most effective offensive game, scoring around the basket. Can a couple 3's late, and it was all she wrote.

Despite what I'd say are some troubling defensive lapses, UNH is good. They don't necessarily have depth on the bench, but what I think they have now is depth in the starting lineup, if that makes sense. They have multiple guys who can put it in the hoop: 3 guys in double-figures last night, and Jayden Martinez wasn't. Guadarrama is a unit, and such a problem for his size and touch. They've got some shooters. It's easy to rag on Mattos, but sometimes being tall is enough to just disrupt things inside especially against teams that don't necessarily have a lot of size. He doesn't have to be great for UNH to be good. I think we'll see a little different game in Durham. Burlington is always a tough spot for them: I went and looked, 68 is the most points UNH has scored against Vermont in Burlington (or anywhere) in 5 years.

One last stat note: By shooting 8-15 from 3 last night, UVM's season percentage is up to 29.6%. There's actually some hope now we won't go down as the worst 3-point shooting team in UVM history (1988, 29.2%...from a team that went 3-24).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I agree on the second half America East refs. Pay close attention to teams that foul a lot in the league, too often it goes for example 12 fouls to 6 in first half, second half its like a keep it even contest. In fact, I know coaches sometimes use this as an advantage. At the higher levels they just call it like it is and are reviewed constantly. I think Becker has taken to Powell (he probably plays hard in practice type guy) , personally I don't think he is that good but I do think every starting five can benefit from a guy who just does his job. Agreed UNH is a good starting 5 but they lack depth. Vermont won because of there depth, UNH was gassed by the end. Looking forward to Saturdays slate.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Loved Robin's aggressiveness tonight. Mazzulla's ability to move without the ball and make cuts to the basketball + finish around the rim is underrated in my opinion. Also, does anyone know the status of Demuth's injury? While I think Nick is doing an okay job being a backup to Davis, I'd like some more depth in the frontcourt. Bigger guys are backing Nick in the paint and could be a problem down the road (not that Demuth is any bigger than Nick).
At this point you should be hoping they somehow have landed an entirely new, instantly eligible frontcourt player for the second semester than to count on Demuth. I'm not filing that under likely to happen either.

As for the game: enjoyable. Round 2 is hopefully just as good. I'm also enjoying the potential that NJIT could be competitive and maybe sneak in the top 4 after being picked what, 7-8th?. I tend to think Lowell will recover and settle mid-pack. Way too early, but many people are saying this: most wide-open competition for 2nd place in recent memory!

·
Registered
766 Posts
Watching Mattos is at this point in his career like watching someone who plays basketball because they're tall.
Mattos was not impressive at all. Didnt do anything dumb and stayed on his man but just not athleticism or touch whatsoever. He also looked like he was the same height as Ryan Davis, maybe a hair taller, but definitely not the 3” taller he’s listed.

·
U of AZ 72
132 Posts
I think Lefebvre was the only player available to not play. Is he on coach's S list or is there another reason? Hasn't played much at any time.

·
Registered
691 Posts
No inside info, but my guess is Lefebvre has not earned Becker's trust on the defensive end, for whatever reason

Or being redshirted (informally?). Has he been in any non-exhibition games?

21 - 40 of 66 Posts