Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Powell's game didn't generate much in the way of stats, but it was critical to UVM's win. I'm sure the coaches appreciate him but the fans should too.
Powell lead the team in +/- at 25. For those that don't know what that means, +/- is a measure of the score differential while the player is on the floor, versus when he is not. He impacts the team in so many ways offensively and defensively. He doesn't need to score for that to happen. He took three shots last night. He doesn't need to score. This is why Becker (and fans who actually understand basketball) realized how valuable Powell is.

Ben was second in +/- at 24 with a little over a minute in additional playing time over Powell.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
No inside info, but my guess is Lefebvre has not earned Becker's trust on the defensive end, for whatever reason

Or being redshirted (informally?). Has he been in any non-exhibition games?
Yes, Lefebvre has played in 2 games this season (5 minutes total). I don't know why he didn't get in for that 1-2 mins of time that Beckett and Guillory got. May he was dressed, but not feeling great (like, "Break Glass In Case of Emergency" kind of dressed?) But not to just be a downer on the whole thing, the conversation of Lefebvre keeps going around in circles: if the coaches believed he'd be a net positive on the floor relative to what we're doing now, he'd play more...or at all. Right now, the people who need to believe (belebvre?) in him do not. Occam's Razor wins the day again.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I think Lefebvre was the only player available to not play. Is he on coach's S list or is there another reason? Hasn't played much at any time.
I don't think that there's much to read into this. He's basically a Freshman. Freshman under Becker rarely get more than garbage minutes. I believe that guys know that when they come to Vermont, they are not likely to get much time as Becker definitely rewards the guys who have put the time in, in the system.

I'm super excited to see Lefebvre when he plays. He can be a very dynamic offensive player. I trust the staff to put him in the best position to succeed and I'll be patient until that happens.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
Does anyone know where to get the post game press conferences with the coaches? I poked around on youtube but didn't find anything from last night's game.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
This is a guess, but based on not having seen Lefebvre on the floor but for 5 minutes this season makes me think he will be redshirted. His D game needs work and he could use some time in the weight room. With Davis in his last year I'm sure Becker wants to play him (Davis) as much as possible. A redshirt year plus last year not counting Lefebvre could have a 6 year UVM career like Shungu With this season as a development year, Lefebvre could well be a great Davis replacement next season. And end his career with a graduate degree like Shungu. I'm been told by many HR people that a grad degree can make a huge difference in landing a more desirable job.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Catpower, I hear you, but I saw him play for 40 minutes or so at the Barre scrimmage and he is definitely good enough in my opinion, but only time will tell. His defense needs coaching work and he is thin for his current real height of 6'10" (as measured by standing next to Davis), but tall players who are coordinated and can run are hard to get for AE teams. Time will tell, for sure.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Catpower, I hear you, but I saw him play for 40 minutes or so at the Barre scrimmage and he is definitely good enough in my opinion, but only time will tell. His defense needs coaching work and he is thin for his current real height of 6'10" (as measured by standing next to Davis), but tall players who are coordinated and can run are hard to get for AE teams. Time will tell, for sure.
You're talking about practice. Not a game. Practice.

If practice were the game, Aaron Deloney would be all-conference. Instead, he's Aaron Deloney, bench player.

So really:

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Behind closed doors, absent of fans, Aaron Deloney wows his teammates and coaches on the University of Vermont men's basketball team.

"In practice, he’s unguardable, unstoppable," Isaiah Powell said. "It’s ridiculous."

Some of you clearly missed the context here, so there it is. Yes. Deloney has had a decent stretch...but he's also a junior who averages 3 points per game in 10 mins a game in his career. Classic practice hero. Every team's got them. Whether a guy like him finally gets the consistency down, and manages to commit to both ends of the floor is TBD, but until then he is what we've all seen he is in 50 some odd games: a bench guard.

Every year when they practice or play against one another in a scrimmage, someone causes fans to think the next big thing is about to break out. Sure, you can be patient. It might all happen for them. But, usually, the guys who do can get on the court. Lefebvre can't see the floor on a team that could seriously use another big body if even just for 3-5 mins a game to spell Davis and Powell, and the only guy that the coaches think can do that is Fiorillo in the frontcourt.

Don't tell me it's only because Becker doesn't play young players either. He'll play anyone regardless of their class, and through their struggles too (see Powell and Davis early on as just a few examples).

It comes off like I'm knocking the guy but as I said...not everyone is good enough to play right now. They might be later, or they might never be. Be patient, but be realistic in the now, too. Until they are in games proving they belong, it's safe to generally not think, or ask why they're not factoring in. The reasoning is quite clear.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Behind closed doors, absent of fans, Aaron Deloney wows his teammates and coaches on the University of Vermont men's basketball team.

"In practice, he’s unguardable, unstoppable," Isaiah Powell said. "It’s ridiculous."

Some of you clearly missed the context here, so there it is. Yes. Deloney has had a decent stretch...but he's also a junior who averages 3 points per game in 10 mins a game in his career. Classic practice hero. Every team's got them. Whether a guy like him finally gets the consistency down, and manages to commit to both ends of the floor is TBD, but until then he is what we've all seen he is in 50 some odd games: a bench guard.

Every year when they practice or play against one another in a scrimmage, someone causes fans to think the next big thing is about to break out. Sure, you can be patient. It might all happen for them. But, usually, the guys who do can get on the court. Lefebvre can't see the floor on a team that could seriously use another big body if even just for 3-5 mins a game to spell Davis and Powell, and the only guy that the coaches think can do that is Fiorillo in the frontcourt.

Don't tell me it's only because Becker doesn't play young players either. He'll play anyone regardless of their class, and through their struggles too (see Powell and Davis early on as just a few examples).

It comes off like I'm knocking the guy but as I said...not everyone is good enough to play right now. They might be later, or they might never be. Be patient, but be realistic in the now, too. Until they are in games proving they belong, it's safe to generally not think, or ask why they're not factoring in. The reasoning is quite clear.
I think AD will have two more years of eligibility if he chooses to use his Covid year.

·
U of AZ 72
169 Posts
You're talking about practice. Not a game. Practice.

If practice were the game, Aaron Deloney would be all-conference. Instead, he's Aaron Deloney, bench player.

So really:

·
Registered
360 Posts
This is a guess, but based on not having seen Lefebvre on the floor but for 5 minutes this season makes me think he will be redshirted. His D game needs work and he could use some time in the weight room. With Davis in his last year I'm sure Becker wants to play him (Davis) as much as possible. A redshirt year plus last year not counting Lefebvre could have a 6 year UVM career like Shungu With this season as a development year, Lefebvre could well be a great Davis replacement next season. And end his career with a graduate degree like Shungu. I'm been told by many HR people that a grad degree can make a huge difference in landing a more desirable job.
I keep reading that some are assuming Davis and Powell are done this year. Both, as I understand it, are eligible for another year, at least, considering the covid year 'free-be'. If Fiorillo and Lefebrve can develop into substantial contributors, it certainly would help. And bringing in more bigs with 'beef' would help against many of the larger bigs that OOC and some AE teams seem to be bringing in.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
The UVM Athletics site says Davis, Powell, Gibson, Patella, Mazulla and Shungu have all played 3 seasons plus the COVID freebie last season, so this is the last one for them. That's 4 of 5 starters who will be leaving, unless there is another freebie this season.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.