Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Ugh! I apologize. My brain isn't really working very well right now. COVID. Only Patella, Mazzulla and Shungu aren't eligible to be back. You were right Tizzy.
I would not make assumptions about who will actually be back next season. But the three players listed above are the only ones who will have exhausted eligibility at year's end.

·
Premium Member
34,222 Posts
I can see Davis coming back but can also see him going back to midwest and playing extra year in B10. Think it will depend on how this season ends up.

See both Sullivan & Powell returning. Powell had shot at being a top offensive target and Sullivan has carved out a nice role here/think he’s really valued.

Either way for all three, seems like way too early to speculate.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Powell lead the team in +/- at 25. For those that don't know what that means, +/- is a measure of the score differential while the player is on the floor, versus when he is not. He impacts the team in so many ways offensively and defensively. He doesn't need to score for that to happen. He took three shots last night. He doesn't need to score. This is why Becker (and fans who actually understand basketball) realized how valuable Powell is.

Ben was second in +/- at 24 with a little over a minute in additional playing time over Powell.
Powell does all the little things. Plays defense, rebounds, gets assist, and sets picks. he is the type of player you need
to win games and championships.
When UCONN won championships, Jim Calhoun said: "it's the lunch bucket guys you need to win". Powell is one of
them. Plus he has shoiwn he can score and hit big shots.
Take players like him anytime.
Hope he takes advantage and returns next year.

·
U of AZ 72
162 Posts
Powell does all the little things. Plays defense, rebounds, gets assist, and sets picks. he is the type of player you need
to win games and championships.
When UCONN won championships, Jim Calhoun said: "it's the lunch bucket guys you need to win". Powell is one of
them. Plus he has shoiwn he can score and hit big shots.
Take players like him anytime.
Hope he takes advantage and returns next year.
I admit that I was a little frustrated with Powell a couple yrs ago when he was line driving 3s and coughing up the ball and wondered why he was getting so much playing time but again coach was right. . I hope that the same holds true for Fiorillo.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I admit that I was a little frustrated with Powell a couple yrs ago when he was line driving 3s and coughing up the ball and wondered why he was getting so much playing time but again coach was right. . I hope that the same holds true for Fiorillo.
Totally understand about Powell his first couple of years, I literally cringed every time he shot. So pleased to see that he is now an effective threat to make any shot that he takes.

Fiorillo, on the other hand, I think that he's playing so much, because he has to, he's literally the only front court option after Davis and Powell. I think that he's playing out of position. I think that he's actually a wing but he's the next biggest body that's available. It seems like that's where we saw him play last season. I hate that we have to rely on him so much because the gap between him and whoever he replaces in enormous. He's still young and hopefully he will get better. He was a walk on, so getting this much time in Becker's system is pretty impressive.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts