Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone's talking about Shaun Livingston b/c of his amazing height and what else - but what point guards his size and build have done well in the League, ever?

And on the Telfair end, of course no 6'0" PG has ever made the jump... That being said I haven't seen either of these guys play,

who do you think will be the better pro 5 or 10 years down the road (not next year)

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Originally posted by <b>patticus</b>!
Everyone's talking about Shaun Livingston b/c of his amazing height and what else - but what point guards his size and build have done well in the League, ever?

And on the Telfair end, of course no 6'0" PG has ever made the jump... That being said I haven't seen either of these guys play,

who do you think will be the better pro 5 or 10 years down the road (not next year)
While you are at it, can you tell me what the winning lottery numbers will be next week in Florida?

Thanks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whats the point of this whole section of the board then anyways, it's not like anyone is providing hard fact predictions regarding the Draft.

you people seem to have no problem speculating and conjuring magical trades and comparisons so what's one more

·
Premium Member
609 Posts
Originally posted by <b>patticus</b>!
whats the point of this whole section of the board then anyways, it's not like anyone is providing hard fact predictions regarding the Draft.

you people seem to have no problem speculating and conjuring magical trades and comparisons so what's one more
That's true, but prediciting anything regarding what's going to happen 10 years from now seems like a waste of time. I'm not even talking about basketball. You'd have a better chance prediciting the stock market ten years from now. Most of this is up to the players themselves, but there are a lot of other variables as well. But if you get a kick out of it, then go ahead, be my guest. Who am I to tell you not to?

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Who knows man. If I had to guess, I would say Livingston.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I don't know... I'm back and forth on this issue I think. If Livingston gains a lot of weight, he will be my favourite. But right now I am really undecided about how I think it will go.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not talking about with injuries and bad luck and crap like that, just who's eventually going to be the better pro?

regardless of next year performance (i.e. who is more ready right now)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bassy will be a better pro i promise you. Basketball runs through is veins. Its in his blood. Point gaurds aren't developed they are born. Sure Livingston has incrediable height for a point gaurd, but i dont think that is a good thing in Shauns case because of his paper weight body. Bassy body looks like a younge Marburys(Befor the bulk) and it looks like to me Bassy's body could support 15-20 pounds of muscle and have it not affect his game negatively but positively adding another dimension to his game.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
i'd still go with sebastion. it is ridiculous to ask this early but if you watch any telfair game, he never tries to win it all himself and always gets his teammates involved in the game. YOu didnt catch him and railsplitters beat Dwight Howard's SACA team at the prime time shooutout?

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
I would say Livingston, he could be one of the greats. But then again, no one knows...

·
Registered
459 Posts
The reason you haven't seen many 6-7+ point guards is because players with that height and the type of skill level it takes to be a point guard are very rare.

Magic Johnson revolutionized the position of point guard due to his incredibly high skill level and his 6-9 height. Ever since then, people have tried to compare tall point guards to Magic Johnson.

Steve Smith was one of the first ones to draw the comparison, right down to playing at Michigan State like Magic. Steve Smith could have been a special point guard had he not blown his knee out early in his career. Smith developed into an above average shooting guard with a point guard's mentality. Lenny Wilkens had to convince him to shoot the ball when he first got him in Atlanta.

Penny Hardaway was another that drew immediate comparisons to Magic. Early in his career, it looked like he was going to be a fabulous point guard. He got a little too adicted to looking for his shot, and then the injuries hit, so he was never able to sustain it over a period of time.

The thing scouts are seeing in Livingston is a 6-7 guard with a very high skill level and the mentality of a point guard. The potential mismatches he can create at that size are mouth watering. Again, the Magic Johnson comparison will inevitably be invoked.

Will he ever live up to it? That's up to him.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JarvisHayes24</b>!
Maybe taller bodies can't handle it.... both those guys got injured. And Magic is just very rare
That doesnt make much sense. Why would a taller PG be any more likely to be injured than say, a guy who is 6'7" or 6'8" and playing SF. If anything, i'd think the bigger positions would be more likely for injury.

I havent seen either much at all, but if Livingston is really a true point, as they say he is, at 6'7", that'd be hard to pass up.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Livingston, simply because of his size. He is a winner too, game winner in the state championship with no time on the clock.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Guys that long aren't physically meant to be that flexible especially if they don't lift.... they can get back spasms n stuff

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lets hope the magic dont draft livingston,

those reece gaines and jeryl sasser experiments dont bode so well :dead:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts