Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a lot of research, but I could not find a reason why Mavs have no love from media.

Does somebody know it?

This season is this season, history is history.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Re: 19 pts to defeat Spurs and 37 pts to defeat Pistons

The Mavs are never taken seriously. I'm not sure why, but every year they are really good yet they never get that much respect.

They have a certain reputation for a soft team that doesn't defend and can't get it done in the playoffs that they can't seem to shake off despite how well they play.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Re: 19 pts to defeat Spurs and 37 pts to defeat Pistons

Drewbs said:
The Mavs are never taken seriously. I'm not sure why, but every year they are really good yet they never get that much respect.

The Sacramento Kings went through the same thing. Hell, even the Spurs had to win 2 championships before anybody started taking them seriously. Anyway, the Mavs are taken seriously, it's just that they haven't gotten past the Western Conference Finals all these years, plus they don't have Steve Nash and Finley in their primes anymore.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If Suns, Heat or Cavs had defeat Spurs or Pistons 10 pts, it would have been in the front page of any webside.

If Mavs defeat Spurs or Pistons for 50 pts each , they still suck.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Dirk also doesn't get his due.
The Mavs are always slept on. Yes. This is true. I wish it wasn't. I haven't got to check them out this year yet, but if they have progressed in the direction Avery was pushing them, they are probably a pretty nasty team defensively now, which is not how they are portrayed.

Last year Dallas was my sleeper championship team. A Mavs-Spurs series with everyone healthy would be amazing.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
yes mavs have got off to a great start but they usally start well and finish ok, in the playoffs is were it counts and intill they win the west they wont be considerd elite or title contender, heck it took 3 spurs titles for them to be on the news and on tv alot. dont get me wrong here mavs are a nice team this yr

·
Registered
568 Posts
It's one game, with the Pistons on a back-to-back roadtrip. Mavs still haven't proven anything in the playoffs, whine about being disrespected when you do something besides rolling over in the clutch. I'm not trying to rag on the Mavs but wait until they do something significant.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
ian said:
It's one game, with the Pistons on a back-to-back roadtrip. Mavs still haven't proven anything in the playoffs, whine about being disrespected when you do something besides rolling over in the clutch. I'm not trying to rag on the Mavs but wait until they do something significant.
they're damn good team and have been for the past 4 years. They won 58 freakin games last season!

I blame TNT and there dumb coverage....barkely in particular. He doesn't like Dirk nor the Mavs and for about the past 3 seasons whenver Dallas does anything they get brushed aside...

"oh, they dont play defense"
"they're soft"

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
ian said:
They did get to the Western Conference Finals, and have consistenly finished with one of the best records in the NBA. They usually make it to at least the second round...

Compare that to Miami, and the hype they get, and the Mavs are indeed kind of slept on. I think even in Texas, the Spurs and Rockets get most of the attention.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ian said:
Wolves, Suns, Cavs, Heat... get a lot of love. Mavs did a lot of better than them for this century.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Maybe if Dirk had more commercials where they showed off his sense of humor? Or some really arty Nike Ads of him draining shot after shot.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
they are consistantly up there but never considered "contenders"

but anyways props to mavs for blowing out det and sas.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah, critics seem to ignore the Mavs accomplishments and dwell on their weaknesses most of the time when they have achieved a lot more than most hyped up teams. Anyway, I'm happy with the way they've started the season. Imagine climbing out of a 17 point deficit with 7 mins left in the 4th to beat SUNS... beating a fully loaded SPURS team... and beating the PISTONS who.. true.. come from a back to back game but having an even bigger concern... with injuries to VAN HORN, CHRISTIE and STACKHOUSE who are actually key players. I guess that's more than reason enough to actually give them some respect.

·
Registered
375 Posts
in the past 5 years they have avg 56 wins!! they get no love what so ever. some guy from espn even said they would miss the playoffs. just like 3 years a go when they started the season 14-0. nobody made a big deal. but when the pistons start with 8 people already talk about them winning 70+ games. ne ways dont get me started with Dirk. hes is the 2nd best PF to duncan. u can have your KG, Brand, Oneal...

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
they put up 40 points in the first quater... defense is starting to come together a little... they are better then the last couple years.... they'll start getting their hype if they can keep their performance up.. its still early in the year and people are still worried about if Larry Brown and Phil Jackson can get the job done

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Yeah, the Mavericks don't get enough respect. They should be respected like the Pacers or Heat, but they aren't. People rip on them for not having a title, but the Spurs and Pistons are the only current teams with titles in the past half decade (Lakers are obviously a different team with different personnel, so they aren't in the conversation anymore among contenders).

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
I say who cares about getting respect, we (the mavs fans) know what the Mavs are made of. Id rather the Mavs win a title quietly then get hyped up like DENVER this offseason and end up like them...

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Ballscientist said:
I did a lot of research, but I could not find a reason why Mavs have no love from media.

Does somebody know it?

This season is this season, history is history.
I love you more than the Mavs Ballscientist.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts