Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were 26-34. I remember that year so well. Rod Strickland was fighting with PJ. PJ was about to get fired. I was sure we'd miss the playoffs and didn't really care. We won 18 of our last 22 games and made the playoffs.

This team is better than that team.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NathanLane</b>!
We were 26-34. I remember that year so well. Rod Strickland was fighting with PJ. PJ was about to get fired. I was sure we'd miss the playoffs and didn't really care. We won 18 of our last 22 games and made the playoffs.

This team is better than that team.
Maybe, but the problem is so are the other teams in the Western Conference. Portland is going to have to really put something together to make the playoffs this time, I don't know if this squad as it stands can put a streak together that will result in a playoff run.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We don't need to put together a winning streak that is any longer than 2 games.

Win 2, lose 1. Streaks aren't important.

Don't be fooled by the so-called good teams in the West.

Grizzlies- Can lose 6 in a row just as easy as they can win 8 in a row. Have never won 30 games in a single season.

Nuggets- Don't know what it's like to put it togther over a whole 82 game season. They're already starting to drop. Today, they picked up their 20th loss.

Lakers- Not the power we thought they'd be.

Rockets- Winning now, but still haven't made the playoffs for 4 years. If Yao gets hurt, they are instantly out of the running.

Also- just remember, the Blazers have shown that you can play well for a first half of the season and completely collapse late in the year. Sure, the Spurs, Kings, Wolves, Mavs and probably the Lakers are locks, but don't trus the Nuggs and Grizz. They can show you a 10 game free fall at any moment.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NathanLane</b>!
Grizzlies- Can lose 6 in a row just as easy as they can win 8 in a row. Have never won 30 games in a single season.
They have only lost 1 game this MONTH. They are different from past teams, they have depth at all positions and a pretty good defense.

Nuggets- Don't know what it's like to put it togther over a whole 82 game season. They're already starting to drop. Today, they picked up their 20th loss.
I think the Nuggets could be vulnerable, as they have some young players. But they are still a pretty good team and have a very good coach.

Lakers- Not the power we thought they'd be.
All due to injuries. Once Shaq, Kobe and Malone are healthy again they will shoot up the standings again.

Rockets- Winning now, but still haven't made the playoffs for 4 years. If Yao gets hurt, they are instantly out of the running.
That's a reach with Yao. The same could be said for lots of teams. What if Randolph gets injured, or if Garnett gets injured...etc. The Rockets have one of the top defensive teams in the NBA, and now have good offense with Yao becoming assertive. I'm pretty sure they will make the playoffs.

Also- just remember, the Blazers have shown that you can play well for a first half of the season and completely collapse late in the year. Sure, the Spurs, Kings, Wolves, Mavs and probably the Lakers are locks, but don't trus the Nuggs and Grizz. They can show you a 10 game free fall at any moment.
True, but the Blazers are in free fall right now, they are 2-10 in the last 12 games. They need to get their season turned around before worrying about what other teams are doing. Plus, even if one of the current playoff teams falls out, the Sonics, Jazz, Clippers and the Warriors are ahead of the Blazers.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Scinos</b>!
They have only lost 1 game this MONTH. They are different from past teams, they have depth at all positions and a pretty good defense.
They had a stretch of 7 streight losses already this season.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Originally posted by <b>The Enigma</b>!

They had a stretch of 7 streight losses already this season.
I know, wasn't that awesome! :D

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Portland turn it all around and start making some noise or even break into a playoff berth. Fact of the matter is this....

• What would another first round exit in the playoffs prove? Keeps a streak alive? :whatever:
  • Would another first round exit help the team in the future? Nope. :rolleyes:
  • This team isn't playing like a team, it is really a collection of attitudes that some would say don't mesh. :yes:

Basketball is a team sport and the Blazers don't, can't, won't bring what it takes to win every night. Is it one players fault? No, but you have to work together as a unit to make it work and Portland just isn't comfortable enough to do it and may never be with this make up of characters.

If I have said it once, I have said it a thousand times, this team is consistently inconsistent and that is why they are in a downward spiral IMHO. Does this mean that I am not a fan, no, but it does mean that I am realistic in the ability of this team. :)

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I would love to see the playoff streak continue...
if I am not mistaken... It would be a professional sports record of 22 years in a row in the playoffs...
How many times does OUR team get a chance to do that?

and I would rather see them in the playoffs than to not be at all, even for a chance at a top lottery pick

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Trader Bob</b>!
I would love to see the playoff streak continue...
if I am not mistaken... It would be a professional sports record of 22 years in a row in the playoffs...
How many times does OUR team get a chance to do that?

and I would rather see them in the playoffs than to not be at all, even for a chance at a top lottery pick
That record is complete BS, who cares? In the NBA, over 50% of the teams make the playoffs every year. Heck, in the early parts of our streak 16 out of 24 NBA teams made it to the playoffs!

That's not comparable to the NFL where 12 out of 30 teams made it...or major league baseball where only like 4 teams would go every year.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Scinos</b>!
True, but the Blazers are in free fall right now, they are 2-10 in the last 12 games. They need to get their season turned around before worrying about what other teams are doing. Plus, even if one of the current playoff teams falls out, the Sonics, Jazz, Clippers and the Warriors are ahead of the Blazers.
The last 12 games have been rough but who cares. Portland can go 10-2 in the next 12. I really don't think they are worrying about what other teams are doing right now. The Blazers have more than enough problems to work out on their own than do that. The Sonics, Jazz, Clippers and Warriors are not good teams so passing them wouldn't be shocking whatsoever. All of them are famous for falling at the end. The Jazz at least make the playoffs on a regular basis unlike the others though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That team was better then this team. That team had a true PG and center, this team simply doesnt. Strickland and Sabonis were able to pick 'n roll us to the playoffs. I dont see anything like that happening this year unless a trade is made and chemistry suddenly improves.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Portland would need to go 9-10 just to get to that same point. WHich I don't see happening .

Maybe Portaland played well to start the season, and are now falling off? That could be scary.

1 question: "Who is going to lead this team?"

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!
Portland would need to go 9-10 just to get to that same point. WHich I don't see happening .
Schilly- We are 6-1 since this post of yours. The Blazers have to go 3-9 over the next 12 games to prove you wrong. Do you still not see it happening??

And DuckNBlazer- Do you still this current Blazer team (which has won 6 of its last 7 on the ROAD) is not as good as the 26-34 Blazers teams that made the playoffs in 1996?

I hope this is a lesson to never give up.

Go Blazers

·
Registered
127 Posts
And DuckNBlazer- Do you still this current Blazer team (which has won 6 of its last 7 on the ROAD) is not as good as the 26-34 Blazers teams that made the playoffs in 1996?

Well...I did say a trade needed to be made to improve chemistry and that's exactly what has happened. I think the Miles trade has really sparked this team. They play with a lot more engery.

I'm more hopeful now then a couple weeks ago. But Im still not ready to say this team is as good or better then the 95-96 team. We've been beating up on some average to below average teams and it's not even the all-star break yet.

This team still has a lot of work to do but things are looking much better. I think we will know a lot more about them when they face some adversity like a losing streak or something as I fear this current chemistry may be fragile. Hope Im wrong...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DucknBlazer</b>!
But Im still not ready to say this team is as good or better then the 95-96 team.
I don't think there's any question that this team has more talent than that team did, and IMO this team is better overall, even before the trades.

As someone else already mentioned, the level of competition in the West is staggering right now. Back in 95-96 there was still a lot of power in the east and the competition amongst each division was more balanced.

We've been beating up on some average to below average teams and it's not even the all-star break yet.
Yes, but we've also beaten up on some powerful teams this season. It's the middle of the pack guys we've struggled against (which has been chronicled in another thread). IMO it's been a problem with effort.

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry, DuckNBlazr-

We had already traded for Miles when you posted that.

We had also recently beaten the Kings in Sacramento.

You just didn't believe hard enough!! This team is DEFINITELY better than the 1995-96 Blazers team. They were 26-34 after 60 games. I GUARANTEE we'll be better than that.

·
Registered
127 Posts
don't think there's any question that this team has more talent than that team did, and IMO this team is better overall, even before the trades

But that is rather meaningless. There's a lot more to having a good team then just talent. Ask Bob Whitsitt. The 95-96 Blazers made it to the playoffs and currently this year’s team wouldn't.

This current team does have more over-all talent but I would still take the 95-96 team in a head to head match-up. If they keep playing like they have been recently I will change my mind. But I’m not quit there yet.

As someone else already mentioned, the level of competition in the West is staggering right now. Back in 95-96 there was still a lot of power in the east and the competition amongst each division was more balanced.
No question the west is tougher now then it was back then, but if this current team is better then that should offset it.

We had already traded for Miles when you posted that.
Yes but we had only played one game with Miles and that was a loss to G.S. so there still wasn’t much reason to think the trade would help as much as it has. I really, really like that trade right now. Miles has been a huge help and the team is now more exciting, which they REALLY needed. So many games this year have been a snoozfest considering the talent we have. Since Miles has arrived there have been more highlight plays then in the couple months prior to his arrival. I love it!:D

You just didn't believe hard enough!! This team is DEFINITELY better than the 1995-96 Blazers team. They were 26-34 after 60 games. I GUARANTEE we'll be better than that.
Well I hope your right! I have to admit the last couple years have really beaten my enthusiasm for the blazers down to the point I just don’t believe anymore. Every time they start playing good I get my hopes up, then something always happens. It's to the point now where I will believe it when I see it.

Right now I just want to see them make it to the trade deadline and go from there. There's a good chance this team will develop even better chemistry once they know for sure what the roster will look like for the rest of the season.

With all that said, Im becoming more and more hopeful of this team with every game. Let's hope they keep it up.

:twocents:

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by <b>DucknBlazer</b>!

But that is rather meaningless. There's a lot more to having a good team then just talent. Ask Bob Whitsitt. The 95-96 Blazers made it to the playoffs and currently this year’s team wouldn't.
The point was THIS: The 1995-1996 Blazers started the year 26-34, at which point they were NOT IN THE TOP EIGHT. I brought that up a few weeks ago to prove that you can be a big hole and still make the playoffs.

This team is now playing BETTER than the 1996 Blazers team.

How can you say "currently this year's team wouldn't"?

Currently, NO TEAM has clinched a playoff berth. And the point is, the 1996 Blazers were on the outside looking in when they were 26-34.

If you wanna play the "thus far" game, notice that the Blazers are thus far better than the 1996 Blazers.

And PLEASE. We will make the playoffs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.