Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, I don't have a link for it yet, for obvious reasons, but the Daily Free Press is going to run a story tomorrow on Gaffney, Geffen, and Sullivan being "released" from their scholarship committment, or whatever the official wording for that is. Just thought I'd mention it. Let's see if we can keep this one from getting locked?

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
We knew about these ones coming, I don't think this raises any flags. These are the last ones that are leaving. I've heard from some of the other guys that the team is in good hands for next year.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I agree that this is a positive step forward for the program. From what I have been told all 3 were good guys off the court but just not committed to making basketball there priority. I think it had been affecting the whole team and now feel they will be a stronger unit with them gone. I'm hoping Wolff can go out and get us some more kids who are committed to the game like the ones that are still on the team are. I definately see this as a positive move and it is no surprise to see these 3 leaving.

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
This is very disappointing, but not unexpected. I though Geffen finally started to look good later in the year, and I believe that Gaffney's talent (while unrealized to a large extent) will be missed most. He was a very rare physical specimen for the America East. Brendan Sullivan, we barely knew you...

If this is what it takes to get the team playing hard and on the right track, I support it.

It's just sad that 3 guys in two years could be "bad apple" recruits.

As far as Wolff's status goes, I beleive that next year will need to show some improvement, or else people will start seriously questioning the direction of the program.

Let's not forget that the upgrade of basketball is the key to any conference move, which seems to be the goal of the administration. If Men's Basketball can't get it done, it will render that process much more difficult.

·
Premium Member
34,537 Posts
Seth said:
This is very disappointing, but not unexpected. I though Geffen finally started to look good later in the year, and I believe that Gaffney's talent (while unrealized to a large extent) will be missed most. He was a very rare physical specimen for the America East. Brendan Sullivan, we barely knew you...

If this is what it takes to get the team playing hard and on the right track, I support it.

It's just sad that 3 guys in two years could be "bad apple" recruits.

As far as Wolff's status goes, I beleive that next year will need to show some improvement, or else people will start seriously questioning the direction of the program.

Let's not forget that the upgrade of basketball is the key to any conference move, which seems to be the goal of the administration. If Men's Basketball can't get it done, it will render that process much more difficult.

I agree with a lot that is written here.

I think Geffen and Gaffney would both have excellent shots at starting next year and being key contributors for the Terriers in 06-07. The situation is a lot like Duell and Schnedier leaving UVM- I think Duell would've started and Gaffney would've started for BU, and both Geffen and Schneider would've gotten a lot of minutes. I would actually start Geffen over Macon, but that is a different thread.

I can see both sides of the coin, as a player you only have a limited time to play this game in college and then it is gone, so you want to be in the best situation possible and get the most minutes possible. OTOH, if these four were patient I think all four of them would be sitting pretty next year in terms of minutes and production, and I really believe that. Each one of them is a solid AE player.

I am definitely going to follow what happens to these four to see how the rest of their careers pan out.

It's never optimal to have anyone leave your program, but I think in this instance it is with a mutual understanding and both the schools and indivduals will benefit from this change.

·
The Invisible Iron Fist
1,253 Posts
UVM Hoop Cat said:

I think Geffen and Gaffney would both have excellent shots at starting next year and being key contributors for the Terriers in 06-07. The situation is a lot like Duell and Schnedier leaving UVM- I think Duell would've started and Gaffney would've started for BU, and both Geffen and Schneider would've gotten a lot of minutes. I would actually start Geffen over Macon, but that is a different thread.

I can see both sides of the coin, as a player you only have a limited time to play this game in college and then it is gone, so you want to be in the best situation possible and get the most minutes possible. OTOH, if these four were patient I think all four of them would be sitting pretty next year in terms of minutes and production, and I really believe that. Each one of them is a solid AE player.

I am definitely going to follow what happens to these four to see how the rest of their careers pan out.

It's never optimal to have anyone leave your program, but I think in this instance it is with a mutual understanding and both the schools and indivduals will benefit from this change.
Thanks for the props UVMHC! :cheers:

I think that the UVM parallel is very interesting, an on the money. It will be interesting to see how they all turn out.

--

Here's the Daily Free Press Article about these events:

Wolff releases two players for off-court troubles
Nick Williams
Posted: 3/21/06
A season filled with injuries, suspensions and disappointments left the Boston University men's basketball team losing games. Now they're also losing some players.

Off-court turmoil has left two players released and one more release pending. Sophomore Tony Gaffney and freshman Brendan Sullivan were each granted their releases and sophomore Bryan Geffen confirmed that he'll be released sometime today or tomorrow.

Geffen declined to comment further until his release becomes official.

Gaffney and Sullivan had both been suspended at different points during the season, and Geffen's time fluctuated throughout the season while fellow point guard Brian Macon developed into the permanent starter.

Coach Dennis Wolff remained tight-lipped on the subject yesterday, only saying, "I'm not gonna go into that. I think it's the best thing for both [parties]."

Wolff did say, however, that the reason had nothing to do with playing time.

"They're leaving for reasons separate from basketball," the coach said.

Gaffney said the decision to grant a player's release is ideally a joint decision between player and coach, but he indicated that there wasn't much of a choice.

"I just didn't have a great relationship with Coach Wolff, for plenty of reasons," Gaffney said. "I have my own beliefs, some I'd rather not get into because they're more personal."

Gaffney said he wasn't happy this season and revealed that he and Wolff clashed throughout the season.

"We weren't on the same page," Gaffney said. "I tried and tried [to make it work], but it just wasn't working out."

The Terriers have been marred by off-court troubles all season. Gaffney was suspended for "violating team rules" in late November and missed six games, before returning in a Dec. 22 game against Canisius College. Sullivan was suspended for the same reason in mid-February and missed the last four games of the season, including the America East Tournament quarterfinal tilt against the University of Vermont.

And while Gaffney returned, his minutes fluctuated all year, culminating in February when he registered four straight "Did Not Plays" during the stretch run of the season. Gaffney couldn't explain the DNPs.

"[They're] for one reason another," he said. "I wish [Wolff] came up with a reason for that, but I never got one."

According to Wolff, Gaffney's release was "the best thing for him and it's the best thing for us."

Gaffney was reluctant to agree.

"I don't want to say I agree," he said. "I believe a lot of things that have gone on this year weren't right with me and his situation, and [Wolff] might feel differently.

"I'd rather not say I agree with it. There's so much to love about this place. Basketball is just a small part of this school, it doesn't make up the whole university. I have a lot of friends here, good relationships with professors. It's too bad. It came to the point where it's best for me to go somewhere else."

As for Geffen, the only one of the trio to not be suspended during the year, his minutes remained inconsistent throughout the season.

The point guard who was set to compete with Macon for the starting job this season saw less than 10 minutes in five games this year, including a season-low four minutes in a Jan. 2 loss to Holy Cross and back-to-back eight minute games during the first week of February against the University of New Hampshire and the University of Maryland-Baltimore County.

All three will be free to sign on with other teams next season, and Gaffney said he has already begun his search for a new program.

"Probably within a week or so I'll have a better grasp of where I'm looking," he said. "A lot of teams are still playing. I'm still waiting to see. I have a pretty good connection putting [my name] out there for me, letting coaches know I'm getting my release."

Gaffney averaged 4.5 points per game and 3.2 rebounds per game. Geffen averaged 4.5 points and 2.1 boards per game to go along with 36 assists. Sullivan appeared in just 14 games, averaging 1.2 points per contest.

Sullivan could not be reached for comment.

·
Premium Member
34,537 Posts
"Probably within a week or so I'll have a better grasp of where I'm looking," he said (Gaffney). "A lot of teams are still playing. I'm still waiting to see. I have a pretty good connection putting [my name] out there for me, letting coaches know I'm getting my release."

Interesting comment.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
UVM Hoop Cat said:
"Probably within a week or so I'll have a better grasp of where I'm looking," he said (Gaffney). "A lot of teams are still playing. I'm still waiting to see. I have a pretty good connection putting [my name] out there for me, letting coaches know I'm getting my release."

Interesting comment.

He must be heading to the Big East. Or George Mason.

On a serious note, I'm going to miss Geffen, who I think was going to be real good for us, in a Kevin Fitzgerald kind of way. But I'm with coach on this one: they were not released for reasons relating to basketball, which means they didn't have it together and didn't have the right attitude for the program. And I'm fine with that.

And ginzo, I hope you pass on our appreciation to those guys for the past couple years we got to see them play.

By the way, there was speculation on this board about Ibrahim Konate possibly leaving, due to his suspension at the end of the year. This is not the case - Ibe is staying put, and we'll have him for 3 more years.

·
Registered
54 Posts
UVM Hoop Cat said:

I agree with a lot of this, I will definitely miss Gaffney and Geffen on campus, as well as Sullivan, but I saw him around a good deal less. I also agree with the PT theories mentioned above to a degree, but i guess we'll have to see how it pans out without them, it's good to hear that someone says the team's in good hands for next year. I will also be keeping track of the three of them as they move onwards.

we shall see, but no matter what Go Terriers and i wish the guys the best

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'll miss Gaffney. He used to laugh at my Matt Wolff jokes from the bench.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
black0ut said:
I'll miss Gaffney. He used to laugh at my Matt Wolff jokes from the bench.
I'll second that!! :cheers: . Tony, we had some good times Feb. 23rd of this year. We laughed as I taunted Wolff from the bench and when you were put in the game then quickly pulled. I cried when you dunked in the game-winner for BU. I (well, the UVM basketball team) got the last laugh against BU however :D.

·
Registered
341 Posts
mattmo said:
I'll second that!! :cheers: . Tony, we had some good times Feb. 23rd of this year. We laughed as I taunted Wolff from the bench and when you were put in the game then quickly pulled. I cried when you dunked in the game-winner for BU. I (well, the UVM basketball team) got the last laugh against BU however :D.
HA! that's so funny! When he used to sub in and out real quick I used to say to him 'what the hell was that Tony, you deserve more time!' and he'd turn around and make faces at Wolff!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Here's another article from the DFP where Wolff touches briefly on the released players but more importantly on the future of the team.

Home > Sports
Close calls cost Terriers all season
Nick Williams
Issue date: 3/21/06 Section: Sports
PrintEmail Article Tools Page 1 of 4 next >
Media Credit: Sarah Gatzke

March isn't a time for spring training. It's not the time for the NHL. It's not the time for the NBA. But it is the time for basketball. College basketball. Sixty-five teams flooded brackets and arenas across the country, vying for a chance at college ball's top prize.

Another 32 teams were invited to the NIT Tournament, a place where teams whose NCAA dreams were derailed get the chance for some slight solace.

Besides those 97 teams, there are hundreds of other teams whose mid-March basketball experience is confined to watching at home on TV. One of those teams -- for the first time in four years -- is the Terriers.

In a season filled with suspensions, injuries and disappointments, the Boston University men's basketball team missed postseason play for the first time since the 2000-01 campaign.

The Terriers finished 12-16 (9-7 America East) and in third place in the conference, their season culminating with a 64-61 loss to the University of Vermont in the quarterfinal round of the America East Tournament. In the game, BU pulled within two when freshman Marques Johnson was fouled with 9.5 seconds left. But Johnson, who had previously attempted two free throws for the entire season, missed the second freebie to leave the Terriers down one, 61-60, in a game they would ultimately not be able to win.

That was the story of the year for the Terriers. Close, but no cigar.

"I felt awful for Marques Johnson. He felt terrible," said BU coach Dennis Wolff. "We just had guys that ended up in odd positions at different times [all season]. We're playing [Johnson] a little more at the end of the year. He gets fouled, goes to the free throw line where he's only been like four times all year.

"I bet you could recite five games [this year] that we could have won," he added. "We're up one at UMBC and two guys go for a steal and they fall into each other and [UMBC] scored. We lost to Binghamton here by one and we miss 15 foul shots. We're up four points in Holy Cross with two minutes to go and we take two [poor] shots in a row."

That's the type of frustration the Terriers endured all season. In total, they lost seven games by six points or less, including five by three points or less and four by either one or two points. Couple that with injuries, suspensions and a perilous non-conference schedule and you have a recipe for disaster.

BU's out-of-league schedule was one of the toughest in the nation. The Terriers played three teams who qualified for the NCAA Tournament, including No. 1 Duke University, George Washington University and Bucknell University. They played four teams which were ranked at one point during the season: the three aforementioned teams along with the University of Michigan.

And the Terriers played for the majority of the year without a full team. BU lost highly-touted recruit Tyler Morris for the year after a preseason ankle injury and sophomore Matt Wolff went down for the season after a knee injury in a Nov. 26 game against the University of Rhode Island.

"I think we got thrown right for a loop right from the beginning because Tyler is a good player," Wolff said. "And I'll stand by this: Tyler will have a similar impact on our team that Corey did. So he would have played the one or the two and would have given us an additional guy -- he's a good shooter. And I think when Matt has got his head on straight and can play the way he played most of his freshman year, he helps us, gives us a bigger perimeter player."

On top of the season-ending injuries, the Terriers found themselves down a few more players when off-court problems led to two suspensions and the shut down of another player.

Tony Gaffney was suspended for a violation of team rules over Winter Break and saw his role reduced when he returned. Freshman Brendan Sullivan was suspended for the season in February for the same reason. And redshirt freshman Ibrahim Konate was shut down for the season and urged to concentrate on academics after struggling in the classroom.

"In regard to our toughness, our effort, off-court stuff, a lot of stuff that, all thrown into a pot and mixed together led us to not play the way we need to play," Wolff said. "We kind of evolved into something I didn't like and I've taken steps to change that."

Some of those steps were the recent releases of Gaffney and Sullivan, both of whom were let go for reasons "separate from basketball," according to Wolff. And there could be a third joining them. Point guard Bryan Geffen said Monday he expects to be released from the team as well.

"I was extremely disappointed at the non-basketball-related stuff we had to deal with," said Wolff, who also said he's only had a situation like this one other time in his 12 years at the helm.

But Wolff said the season wasn't filled with all negatives. A few positives he listed were senior Kevin Gardner's emergence into an inside force and mature player and Corey Hassan's rise to one of the top players in the conference.

"[I was pleased with] the fact that we were still, even with all the disruptions, still competitive at the end," Wolff said. "I thought they really were still trying to play, which I thought was a credit to them, to the core of kids that were playing, and how resilient they were."

Wolff thinks that the core of players, which includes Hassan, Konate, Johnson, Morris, Matt Wolff, Ben Coblyn, Brian Macon and Omari Peterkin, will lead the program back to the winning ways that had become so common around these parts since Wolff took over 12 seasons ago.

"I think we can be right back in the mix," Wolff said. "You know, when we're talking about all this, at the end of the day we finished third, we didn't finish last. I don't think we dropped all that much and I think we can get back in the mix immediately."

Wolff said he sees increased roles for Morris, Konate and his son, Matt. He also said he's been busy working on adding to that core of players, recruiting in the recent weeks after his team's season ended. And while NCAA rules prevent Wolff from commenting specifically on recruits, he did say that BU has locked up two players already.

"We got two good players coming in and I'm happy about those guys and we still feel the need to get another guard and one more post player," he said. "We're involved with some good kids and we're just trying to do as much due diligence as we can to make sure we make the right offers to the right guys."

With the addition of the two committed recruits and the future ones, Wolff said he believes his team will be over the proverbial hump and back in contention, especially with the current state of parody that's enveloped the league

"I did think there were a number of teams in a state of flux [this year] and I think you're gonna see a number of teams next year in a state of flux," Wolff said, highlighting the resignation of University of Hartford coach Larry Harrison and the expected release of three players at Vermont. "It will be an interesting league for a couple of years until everybody gets their program settled."

Wolff added that he thinks that parody leaves the window wide open for the young Terriers, who now, with a trying year under their belts, are a little more seasoned.

"The spring and summer between their freshman and sophomore year is where guys have made the most dramatic improvement," Wolff said. "So if Corey makes significant improvement, he'll be one of the best players in league. We need … Ben and [Ibrahim] need to make improvement [in line] with the talent they have. They both showed us glimpses of good play and then were inconsistent at times. They have to work to improve on the things that they're doing to be good players.

"I'd like to tell you that I thought there was a quick fix, but I just think that we need to get in the gym with this group. And it's not like we're devoid of talent. We had some talent. We just got to get a lot tougher and we got to get a lot better."

·
Registered
341 Posts
uh, isnt the NIT 40 teams? I got 1 paragraph in and had to stop reading. I hate student newspapers. :curse:

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
If Matt Wolff gets a lot of playing time next year, BU is in trouble... It didn't hurt 2 years ago to have a stand still, can't create, spot up 3 point shooter on the floor when you had Chaz and Rashad and Brower creating like crazy, but with the core of guys comming back next year, and with Hassan on the court, Wolff should not be playing much at all if this team is going to be good...

As far as off the court issues, especially with Geffen, yeah, right...

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
ginzo said:
As far as off the court issues, especially with Geffen, yeah, right...

I was under the impression that Geffen's departure is more his own choice, as opposed to Wolff's choice, and related more to general unhappiness than the kind of off-court issues that doomed Gaffney and Sullivan.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I don't believe that the kids are the only ones culpable in this situation. I'm sure to some degree they all are. Certainly doesn't look good when three kids you've recruited all leave at the same time, however. You wonder if their backgrounds, attitudes should have been examined a bit further before bringing them in. Maybe they weren't a good fit for Wolff's style.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
TCB said:
I don't believe that the kids are the only ones culpable in this situation. I'm sure to some degree they all are. Certainly doesn't look good when three kids you've recruited all leave at the same time, however. You wonder if their backgrounds, attitudes should have been examined a bit further before bringing them in. Maybe they weren't a good fit for Wolff's style.
Apparantly neither were Etienne Brower, Jerome Graham, Matt Czaplinski, Pat Martin, Jacob Kudlacz, Douglass McLaughlin-Williams, and walk-onns Kevin Burton and Chris Visiliou to name a few.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.