Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd get the ball rolling on some player performance predictions for the Bulls this season. These are just some hunches I have as far as how the guys will perform, who will play minutes, etc. These predictions do not reflect my bias (positive or negative) towards players, but rather how I actually see guys playing, performing and panning out this season.

Jalen Rose - will average 22+ ppg and have an all-around good season. He will get more respect for leading the Bulls to a surprising record and finally be voted to his first all-star game.

Eddy Curry - inconsistency will be his middle name once again. I can see him beginning to emerge as an offensive force, and put up several 20 point performances this year, but his cluelessness on defense will earn him a few benchings. I can see back-to-back games for him looking like 18/11 followed by 5/3.

Tyson Chandler - will emerge as a reliable, consistent starter who makes a defensive impact and will score better than expected as the benificiary of Williams, Rose and Crawford. Will play minutes at center when Curry struggles.

Jay Williams - will start the season at PG for the Bulls. His overall quality of play will be impressive and gain him ROY honors. Early on, expect him to have some TO problems and a poor FG% but do a good job running the team. He should consistently score double figures for us on a nightly basis and rack up some assists. Expect him to bring excitement with some flashy no-looks to Ty and Eddy.

Donyell Marshall - I see an injury sidelining him for 20 games or so this season, but otherwise playing steadily for us. He will score reliably and revound well, opening up the outside game for our perimeter guys. Nothing spectacular from him, but solid contributions every night.

Marcus Fizer - he will be the biggest surprise on the Bulls. His scoring will benefit from the improved passing on the team. I expect him to be the team's #3 scorer behind Jalen and Marshall putting up a few 30 point efforts during the season.

Trent Hassell - will see a reduced role this season with the SF position stacked and Jalen at the 2G. No offense to his game, but he will just not see the floor as much and will struggle to get going offensively.

Jamal Crawford - will struggle for confidence and minutes as he is relegated to backup duty behind Williams. His shooting numbers will drop from last season, as he tries to do too much in the minutes he plays. Will seek a trade to his hometown Sonics at midseason.

Eddie Robinson - will perform very well with the Bulls second unit as a sparkplug finisher. Will not see a whole lot of time at the end of games, but will score in bunches in the 2nd and 3rd periods for us, benefitting form the up-tempo play of Crawford and Williams.

Final season prediction: Bulls 37-45 (10th in East)

·
Registered
297 Posts
C- Eddy Curry- growth, becomes one of the best centers in the East....(12ppg, 7rpg)
PF- Tyson Chandler-growth, becomes a defensive force.....(10ppg, 7rpg, 2bpg)
SF- Eddie Robinson- proves himself.....(12ppg, 50% FG%)
SG- Jalen Rose- All-Star season.......(22ppg, 5rpg,5apg)
PG- Jay Williams- Just what we thought.......(13ppg, 6apg)

PF- Marcus Fizer- Strong performance off bench....(11ppg, 5rpg)
F- Donyell Marshall- Solid....(10ppg, 5rpg)
PG- Jamal Crawford- traded by February........(8ppg, 4apg)
SG- Trenton Hassell- solid, consistent, I love this guy......(7ppg, 3rpg, 2apg, 1spg)

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Curry - He'll be inconsistant to start with and not get many rebounds but later in the season will begin to become a force and start to be more aggresive on the rebounds.

Chandler - He'll be a good shot blocking presense and have several standout games but I still sense some inconsistancy this season. His numbers should get better as the season goes on.

Marshall - Hopefully he wont get injured. I expect solid play from him. 14-16 ppg with 8+ rebounds. He'll be the main starter but every now and then I can see him coming off the bench.

Rose - 20-22 ppg and 5 apg. He'll be the go to guy and will hit several big shots and is the guy to lead this team so our young guys can mature. He'll be our most conistant player all season, if he gets injured then we're screwed.

Williams - He'll have a pretty good rookie season. 14-17 ppg, 4-6 apg. He'll have some off nights but will also have many great nights. You can expect him and Rose to make this team theirs by seasons end.

Fizer - He'll be what he always is. Scoring off the bench. He'll get alot of minutes as Chandler is still in development and we're going to need him to be consistant night in and night out. Hopefully he can bring 12-14 ppg.

Robinson - I dont know what to expect. all I can hope for out of him is positive energy off the bench. perhaps he'll play a role similar to ruben patterson but without as good D. Ruben Patterson is just a guy who comes in the game and shows alot of energy, he doesnt have a great J and mediocre ball handling skills but still puts up solid numbers. Hopefully Erob will do the same.

Hassel - Remember the role Greg Anthony had on the Blazers a few years ago where Damon would sit during the 4th quarter and Anthony would guard John Stockton in those playoff games. I can see Hassell coming off the bench to bring defensive energy to the team and keep the other team under control.

Crawford - He's another quick guy. Im not too sure what to expect out of him. I know he has a 3 point stroke so if he can create his own shot off of the dribble he will be deadly at times.

Blount - an extra big man

Baxter - IR, i like this guy so hopefully we'll get to see him play at some point during the season.

Bags - keep the bench warm and make sure the water is cold, dont get that assignment mixed up.

The win loss total is hard to make realistic predictions for. Im willing to bet that we'll be in alot of close games this year. We just need to learn how to win them. After the season is over i bet we'll be looking back at alot of games that we could have won and maybe should have won, the more stable this team is the more W's they'll be able to pull out.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm not very good at predicting these things so I won't, but all I want to see is Tyson be consistent on defense and a little improvment on his offense, and Eddy consistent defense and a good improvement on offense.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Hassell will get more minutes than many of you credit him for.. he's the primary backup for Rose and I could see Rose doing a lot of shifting over to PG/SF... even if he's running the point for 4 minutes or slotted at SF for 4 minutes, and he averages about 34 mpg, then that's 22 mpg for Hassell. I think BC is going to use him as much as possible because of his defensive intensity, but Rose is clearly our best player, so he'll want to use Rose as much as possible too. That means that one of Marshall, Robinson, Chandler or Fizer is going to get minutes shafted on any given night (unless one of them is injured).

And Hassell has plenty of offense. Coming into the draft, he was deemed valuable more as a scorer than as a defender. He shot 36.4% from 3-pt range, third among rookies in the NBA last season. When you have an extremely solid player like Hassell available on your bench, who poses no real liability on either end of the floor.

As for the rest:

Eddy Curry: becomes primary starting point in the triangle offense. Against most teams, can't afford to not utilize his physical mismatches. 17 ppg/8rbs/1.5 bpg in 33 mpg. Under BC, will learn how to play strong post defense and the Bulls will trust him with defending almost every center in the league with no help. Can't afford to keep him off the floor for very long, since the strength at backup is absent.

Tyson Chandler: Offense will spark on certain nights, but the team won't rely on it with Rose, Marshall, Crawford, Jay Williams, Robinson, and Curry as better offensive options (hopefully he'll take this season and DEVELOP more offense, off the court). Chandler WILL get a lot of points off of broken plays, tipping in or getting an occasional oop, and so his ppg will stay right around 8. Unless he shows considerable development, he won't stay on the floor as long as Curry does, because Fizer and Marshall are waiting to fill in his minutes. Defensively still does the job, especially on team defense, coming on help defense to get 2+ bpg. 8 ppg/6rbs/2 bpg in 22 mpg.

Jamal Crawford: If he is not traded, he will make his impact as an offensive shooting guard and finally have his breakout season. Deadly from behind the stripe, veteran offensive forces to dish the ball to... he can do a lot of damage. Will never be a great rebounding guard, since rebounding weight will never be placed on him. Hopefully quickness quesitons will be answered... 13 ppg/5 apg/2 rbs in 22 mpg, starting.

Jay Williams: Will have some amazing nights, but other not so great nights, as he learns the ropes. He'll be the quickest learner on the team, though, and the years in college will produce a lot of the polish that we saw in Hassell and Brand in the past. His FG% won't be as bad as people think, because he'll recognize who it is that's on the floor with him and give them due respect. Will play better than expected on defense, and will very rarely get burned. 10 ppg/4 apg/3 rbs/1 stls in 22 mpg... 43% FG and 36%+ from behind the arc.

Jalen Rose: He's at the top of his game. Will see minutes at SG, PG, SF. In the triangle, will lead team in assists on more than one occasion. 24 ppg/5 apg/4 rbs/1 stl in 35 mpg.

Donyell Marshall: Will have similar production as in Utah, with more offensive opportunities. There is no Stockton-Malone in Chicago to draw the defenses away, and he'll have more burden as he's the other seasoned vet on the team. 14 ppg/8rbs in 24 mpg.

Eddie Robinson: As much as we like to speculate, I don't have any idea how well he'll play. He is certainly still a tremendous athlete, and the coaching staff has shown him a lot of favor. He's playing under a fairly sizeable contract, and so he'll get as much PT as possible. Some predictions that I'm pulling out of nowhere: 12 ppg/5 rbs/1.5 stls/3 dunk attempts per game in 21 mpg.

Marcus Fizer: Strong post game and more comfort playing on the blocks on both sides of the floor... the reversal of the Floydian "Fizer's really a SF" experiment will be complete. He's a prime candidate to showcase then trade, because of the depth in SG/SF/PF that will often push him out of the picture, not because they disfavor him, but because Rose, Robinson, Marshall, and Chandler are all capable of seeing starting minutes and Hassell is more valuable a bench player than Fizer, and Lonny Baxter is available to possibly be worth of the full-time backup job. Regardless, Fizer will see 16 ppg/6 rbs in about 25 mpg before he gets traded, or for the entire season if someone suffers an injury.

Dalibor Bagaric: Fouls will keep him off the floor. Will take about 10 mpg away from Curry before getting yanked, although he'll have nights where he'll shine. 3.5 ppg/4rbs/.5 bpg in 9 mpg.

Corie Blount: Will handle primary minutes behind Curry, although Bags will continue to get his chances. Will play role of defensive enforcer. Stats unimportant, about 8 mpg.

Lonny Baxter: Mostly insurance, but in his limited minutes will impress the coaches with his 100% effort. Might even see some minutes at C, because of his huge frame. 3 ppg/3 rbs/51% fg in 8 mpg, when he's not on the IR.

Roger Mason Jr.: Will take garbage minutes at SG and whatever minutes Jay and Craw don't consume at PG. Won't have the opportunity to step up and be a significant contributor like Hassell did last year, barring an injury from one of the regulars. This guy can play, though, and will have a future in the NBA.

Fred Hoiberg: Will overtake Jay Williams and Jamal Crawford for starting PG job, and serve as primary backup center. 28 ppg/10 rbs/8apg/3 bpg/50% FG in 44 mpg. All-Star honors, finally. :wbanana:

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Do not underestimate Crawford!!!!!

I think he will end up playing a lot, both at shooting gaurd and at the point. He has amazing skills and seemed ready to come into his own at the end of last year. Add Robinson, Marshall and a full year from Rose, all drawing the defense, and Crawford should have a lot of opportunities. The key thing about Crawford's game is he has to be willing to drive to the basket. That is the biggest advantage J. Will has right now.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
The key thing about Crawford's game is he has to be willing to drive to the basket. That is the biggest advantage J. Will has right now.
It isn't just that he's more willing. his quicker and stronger as well. He outweight JC by nearly 20 pounds (if not more). He is just better at it........

·
Registered
45 Posts
duh.......

Jwill will not start at the beginning of the season.

Bank on that.

Other than that, i have no other predictions.

The Pimp

·
Lux Tax Avoider
5,988 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Showtyme</b>!
Hassell will get more minutes than many of you credit him for.. he's the primary backup for Rose and I could see Rose doing a lot of shifting over to PG/SF... even if he's running the point for 4 minutes or slotted at SF for 4 minutes, and he averages about 34 mpg, then that's 22 mpg for Hassell. I think BC is going to use him as much as possible because of his defensive intensity, but Rose is clearly our best player, so he'll want to use Rose as much as possible too. That means that one of Marshall, Robinson, Chandler or Fizer is going to get minutes shafted on any given night (unless one of them is injured).

And Hassell has plenty of offense. Coming into the draft, he was deemed valuable more as a scorer than as a defender. He shot 36.4% from 3-pt range, third among rookies in the NBA last season. When you have an extremely solid player like Hassell available on your bench, who poses no real liability on either end of the floor.

As for the rest:

Eddy Curry: becomes primary starting point in the triangle offense. Against most teams, can't afford to not utilize his physical mismatches. 17 ppg/8rbs/1.5 bpg in 33 mpg. Under BC, will learn how to play strong post defense and the Bulls will trust him with defending almost every center in the league with no help. Can't afford to keep him off the floor for very long, since the strength at backup is absent.

Tyson Chandler: Offense will spark on certain nights, but the team won't rely on it with Rose, Marshall, Crawford, Jay Williams, Robinson, and Curry as better offensive options (hopefully he'll take this season and DEVELOP more offense, off the court). Chandler WILL get a lot of points off of broken plays, tipping in or getting an occasional oop, and so his ppg will stay right around 8. Unless he shows considerable development, he won't stay on the floor as long as Curry does, because Fizer and Marshall are waiting to fill in his minutes. Defensively still does the job, especially on team defense, coming on help defense to get 2+ bpg. 8 ppg/6rbs/2 bpg in 22 mpg.

Jamal Crawford: If he is not traded, he will make his impact as an offensive shooting guard and finally have his breakout season. Deadly from behind the stripe, veteran offensive forces to dish the ball to... he can do a lot of damage. Will never be a great rebounding guard, since rebounding weight will never be placed on him. Hopefully quickness quesitons will be answered... 13 ppg/5 apg/2 rbs in 22 mpg, starting.

Jay Williams: Will have some amazing nights, but other not so great nights, as he learns the ropes. He'll be the quickest learner on the team, though, and the years in college will produce a lot of the polish that we saw in Hassell and Brand in the past. His FG% won't be as bad as people think, because he'll recognize who it is that's on the floor with him and give them due respect. Will play better than expected on defense, and will very rarely get burned. 10 ppg/4 apg/3 rbs/1 stls in 22 mpg... 43% FG and 36%+ from behind the arc.

Jalen Rose: He's at the top of his game. Will see minutes at SG, PG, SF. In the triangle, will lead team in assists on more than one occasion. 24 ppg/5 apg/4 rbs/1 stl in 35 mpg.

Donyell Marshall: Will have similar production as in Utah, with more offensive opportunities. There is no Stockton-Malone in Chicago to draw the defenses away, and he'll have more burden as he's the other seasoned vet on the team. 14 ppg/8rbs in 24 mpg.

Eddie Robinson: As much as we like to speculate, I don't have any idea how well he'll play. He is certainly still a tremendous athlete, and the coaching staff has shown him a lot of favor. He's playing under a fairly sizeable contract, and so he'll get as much PT as possible. Some predictions that I'm pulling out of nowhere: 12 ppg/5 rbs/1.5 stls/3 dunk attempts per game in 21 mpg.

Marcus Fizer: Strong post game and more comfort playing on the blocks on both sides of the floor... the reversal of the Floydian "Fizer's really a SF" experiment will be complete. He's a prime candidate to showcase then trade, because of the depth in SG/SF/PF that will often push him out of the picture, not because they disfavor him, but because Rose, Robinson, Marshall, and Chandler are all capable of seeing starting minutes and Hassell is more valuable a bench player than Fizer, and Lonny Baxter is available to possibly be worth of the full-time backup job. Regardless, Fizer will see 16 ppg/6 rbs in about 25 mpg before he gets traded, or for the entire season if someone suffers an injury.

Dalibor Bagaric: Fouls will keep him off the floor. Will take about 10 mpg away from Curry before getting yanked, although he'll have nights where he'll shine. 3.5 ppg/4rbs/.5 bpg in 9 mpg.

Corie Blount: Will handle primary minutes behind Curry, although Bags will continue to get his chances. Will play role of defensive enforcer. Stats unimportant, about 8 mpg.

Lonny Baxter: Mostly insurance, but in his limited minutes will impress the coaches with his 100% effort. Might even see some minutes at C, because of his huge frame. 3 ppg/3 rbs/51% fg in 8 mpg, when he's not on the IR.

Roger Mason Jr.: Will take garbage minutes at SG and whatever minutes Jay and Craw don't consume at PG. Won't have the opportunity to step up and be a significant contributor like Hassell did last year, barring an injury from one of the regulars. This guy can play, though, and will have a future in the NBA.

Fred Hoiberg: Will overtake Jay Williams and Jamal Crawford for starting PG job, and serve as primary backup center. 28 ppg/10 rbs/8apg/3 bpg/50% FG in 44 mpg. All-Star honors, finally. :wbanana:
Outstanding analysis, except for one thing: if Jay Williams averages "10 ppg/4 apg/3 rbs/1 stls in 22 mpg" it means he's either the worst #2 pick since Steve Stipanovich or Jamal Crawford's the best #8 pick since I don't know when.

I hate to break it to the Crawford luvahs, but the future of the franchise is three guys: Eddy, Tyson, and Jay. The rest of the team will be interchangeable parts, just like the cast of characters assembled around MJ and Scottie in the 90s.

Hell, I liked Sam Vincent as much as the next guy but I wasn't sad to see him go once I took a look at the big picture.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
well i have given this much thought. And my prediction is:

1. Some players will play better than expected

2. some won't

:rbanana: :gbanana:

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Jalen Rose - Continues doing a poor man's Magic Johnson imitation

Donyell Marshall - Continues to do a poor man's Antawn Jamison imitation (one is enough, Sam Smith!)

Jay Williams - Pulls of an impressive young man's Isiah Thomas imitation

Eddy Curry - Disappointing remains a rich man's Desagana Diop

Tyson Chandler - Continues a less impressive but rather effective Ralph Sampson imitation

Marcus Fizer - Continues to do a remarkable Chris Gattling imitation

Eddie Robinson - Does his best Darius Miles imitation, but can shoot, can't drive, and is a lot less fun

Dalibor Bagaric - Tries his best to pull off a vintage Jack Haley imitation

Jamal Crawford - by the end of the year, should be trying to do his best Jay Williams imitation

Trenton Hassell - quietly, skillfully, does a very good Eddie Jones imitation

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
No blanket predictions, but I agree that we'll see a lot of Trent. I wouldn't mind seeing him as back-up point after Crawdad gets traded. Hassell can play (and defend) point while Rose handles primary ball responsibilities.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Crawford and Williams will not be on the same team for long. Unless one can adjust to and play SG. They are too good to back each other up. Each needs to be on the floor 30+ minutes.

Having said that, I don't think the Bulls will trade Williams.

So Crawford will be traded soon or later -- probably by February. JK will try to raise Crawford's value from now till then. Personally, the Bulls shoudl have talked to the Clippers before the Andrea Miller thing. We could have sent Crawford along with another player for either Odom or Miles. Or even Quentin Richarson.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts