Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I posted an analysis of the 2003 draft near the end of the season. Since then of course some careers have shot off and some have faltered...so I have revisited the 2003 draft and done a new analysis on each player that had his name called that draft day :biggrin: These are just my opinions on the state of things so if you don't agree that's not a problem...i'm not the end all be all :clown:

This is a follow up on those players who were drafted two years ago. Some have already become stars and some have already seen their NBA careers end. Here is the breakdown.

Lebron James – Honestly I Never thought he’d be able to live up to the hype. Even if he were very good, I thought he’d be a disappointment to the high expectations. He was NOT a disappointment. James is not perfect yet, in fact he has a lot still to learn, but he is already an All-Star and at times showed he can someday be the league MVP. He will truly be a force in the years to come and will someday lead a team to the NBA championship. He does need a better overall supporting cast in Cleveland to go along with Z but that’s not his problem that’s managements issue. A/A+

Darko Milicic – Well when he was drafted they said he was lucky because he was not going to be under the pressure a #2 pick usually is, going to a team as good as Detroit. I don’t think it was too lucky because the poor kid has barely gotten to play AT ALL in two seasons in Detroit. I DO NOT, however, go along with the he’s a bust things and comparisons to Skita. In the few cases Darko actually got into a game this year for real minutes he played very well and I think he will soon become a very good player in this league although I’m starting to think it won’t be in Detroit. They are killing his confidence and not giving him even a small amount of respect. He showed enough flashes in his few minutes to know he’s No Bust. C+

Carmelo Anthony – Well Melo’s sophomore campaign was a bit disappointing. It started with character issues before the season even got under way and in the Summer at the olympics. He’s come under fire from teammates and others saying he’s not playing “team ball”. He made the Rookie/Sophomore All-Star game and got a controversial MVP in the game (many thought it should have gone to Chris Bosh) but he failed to become a real all-star like fellow sophomores LeBron and Wade. This kid still has a great game and if he can mature some and learn that he can’t win single handily in the NBA, he should get back into the good graces, no one questions his ability to play the game. I think he’ll be an All-Star but it may take a couple more years. B-

Chris Bosh – He wasn’t part of the “big 3” but he’s a gem just the same. Bosh is still young and thin but he has already become the franchise player for the Raptors this season. He’s drawn comparisons to a young Kevin Garnett and I don’t think that would get any complaints from Raptors fans. He needs more help on this team to fully come into his own but that is coming in the form of a high draft pick this Summer and possibly a 2nd lottery pick from Philly. Chris Bosh will be an All-Star in this league within another 2 years, he was also in the Rookie/Sophomore game this season. B+

Dwayne Wade – Dwayne Wade has made believers out of so many that thought he was a tweener and wouldn’t amount to anything in the league. This kid has played phenomenal and although some say it’s because of Shaq, he did it without Shaq the year before so it’s not a fluke. He can score like a machine and his game improves on a nightly basis. In the long term Wade may be almost as good as Lebron, he’s definitely the 2nd best player out of this draft class. The Heat could play for an NBA championship this season and Wade is a big part of the reason why. He became an All-Star this year in only his 2nd in the league. A/A+

Kirk Hinrich – Hinrich quickly became the Bulls top player when the season began. His play dipped somewhat after being moved to SG so that Chris Duhon and Kirk could play together but Hinrich has persevered. He needs to become a more reliable scorer when it’s needed but that will come, he’s proven he’s up to the task many many times already. He played in the Rookie/Sophomore game this season and he may become a borderline All-Star at some point down the line. B

Chris Kaman – Is he just another big dud? No, he’s not. Chris Kaman showed he was worthy of his pick playing very solidly this season after coming back from injury. Kaman may become one of the better centers in the West if his play continues to develop and he gains a little more consistency. Give him another year to get seasoned and look for him to become a leader on the Clippers. B

TJ Ford – TJ is a sad case. TJ Ford showed in the first half of his rookie season that he was a very very good distributing Point Guard. His name was being mentioned in sentences with Jason Kidd. He was a future all-star in the making. His injury was a serious one, a possible career ending one. If he does ever get to play again will he be the same? I don’t know but I wish him al the luck in the world, this kid has heart, it’s very sad that he’s not able to play right now. I (Incomplete)

Mike Sweetney –Mike Sweetney is an enigma…one day he shows future greatness, the next he does nothing. Sweetney has been in and out of NY’s rotation. He’s a big kid, a little too big, and he’s been called a tweener. The fact is Sweetney is a talented player but he needs to get himself into better conditioning if he wants to become a starter in this league. He’s showed he has the potential to do great things but until he works on his large frame he may continue to go in and out of the rotation. C+

Jarvis Hayes – Jarvis has problems creating his own shots. He needs to learn to move better without the ball and create on his own. He’s a talented scorer but he’s really faded after a quick start in his rookie year. I’m sure they will be working with him to try to complete his game because he’s still a very talented young player. C+

Michael Pietrus – Pietrus showed real promise at the end of last season and there were very high hopes for him.. He had a couple minor injuries this year and hasn’t really gotten into the flow as much as expected. He’s still a talented player though and I think next season will be a good one for him. C+

Nick Collison – This is Nick’s rookie season in the league due to a pre-season injury to is shoulder last year. He came in with fairly good expectations and he hasn’t disappointed. His statistics have not been eye popping but Nick has been a solid contributor on a very hot Sonics team. With another year under his belt I think Nick will secure a starting spot on the roster and have a satisfying NBA career. B-

Marcus Banks – Being a Celtics fan I’ve seen Marcus play A LOT….he is lightening quick and he is a marvelous defender, perhaps the best defender at the PG spot in the league. His judgement on the floor has been questioned at times and we’ve wondered if Marcus even had what it takes to be a floor general. It looks as though, he may finally be getting it. Marcus is playing some very very solid ball these days and he’s a spark off the Boston bench. He gives the guys he defends absolute fits on the floor. He still needs seasoning and he needs to read his teammates and the floor better instead of always looking for his shot but he seems to be starting to do that. If this kid can figure it out he has the ability to be extremely good, only time will tell. B-

Luke Ridnour – Luke gained the starting PG spot for the Sonics out of training camp and he has not disappointed. He has an uncanny ability to read the floor and his size, thought to be a problem before draft day, has not seemed to hinder him, he also has a decent shot. He played in the rookie/sophomore game this season and showed some grit in the skills competition. This young point is a keeper. B+

Reece Gaines – Reece has not played much at all in his two years in the league. He’s already been traded from the Magic to the Rockets to the Bucks. He’s already being referred to as a bust and I must admit I thought he would be before the draft. He’s not a point guard and that’s what he’d need to be in the NBA. I don’t think he’s going to be able to put it together enough to salvage his career…I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets bought out and this is his last season in the NBA, not good for the 15th pick only 2 years ago. He has a lot to do now to prove himself worthy. D-

Troy Bell – Troy was predicted as a 2nd round pick, he should have been….he was cut by the Grizzlies this season and now does not belong to an NBA team to my knowledge. He did not play much at all in his rookie season for the Griz and spent much of the time on the IL with made up injuries. I think his NBA career as brief as it was is over. D-

Zarko Cabarkapa – Zarko was traded to the Warriors from the Suns this season. He never really had gotten back into the Suns rotation after an injury last season. He wasn’t playing on the Warriors for a while either but now that they have unloaded Dale Davis and Cliff Robinson Zarko is getting minutes and he’s showing he can be a solid contributor for them once he gets a normal spot in the rotation. C+

David West – West had a respectable rookie season, but has been out with an injury almost this entire season so we really havn’t seen what he can bring to the table. He rebounds very well and would have probably gained a starting position on the woeful Hornets if injury hadn’t ruined his season. I (Incomplete)

Alexander Pavlovic – Sasha has a very nice shot, he can score points in droves but sometimes he drove Jerry Sloan to fits with his lack of defensive hustle which is why he was left available in the expansion draft and why he now plays for the Cavaliers. If Sasha could get more consistent he could really help the Cavs who desperately need a reliable shooter, right now he is streaky at best. C-

Dahntey Jones – Jones was predicted as a 2nd rounder and maybe should have been one. He hasn’t seen many minutes in his 2 years with the Grizzlies…it is a very deep team. The few times he did get major minutes this year, he did produce well which lends one to think he could contribute on a team lacking depth (that team is not the Griz). I think he will become a role player in the league but he’s probably never going to be much more than that. D+

Boris Diaw – Diaw had such a nice rookie season it’s hard to understand what has happened to him this year. His anemic offence has gotten him benched significantly this year for the lowly Atlanta Hawks. Diaw is lanky and strong and he’s very much a team player but some say he goes overboard, never looking for his shot so that defenders can slack off of him. He’s been so discouraged at his lack of playing time this season that he’s talked of returning to Europe…he might do well playing for a defensive minded coach like Jim O’Brien or Jerry Sloan. C-

Zoran Plainic – On a team that has Jason Kidd, it’s going to be hard for a young point guard to get many minutes but now Zoran is playing SG and it seems to fit him better. He was doing very well at the beginning of the season before an injury took him out for a lengthy amount of time. When he came back he struggled to get back into the rotation but now that he is he’s trying to do whatever he can to stay in it. Zoran can be good contributing player in this league if given the opportunity. C+

Travis Outlaw – Now here is a kid who should have went to college. He’s got talent but his body isn’t developed yet and he’s struggled for minutes for 2 years on a struggling Blazers team. He is extremely athletic and he does have skills, the question is did he hurt his development by coming straight to the pros to sit on the bench. We will find out because he’s getting big minutes now that the Blazers are out of the playoff race. In a couple years he will be a good player in the league but could he have been even better had he gone to college? C-

Brian Cook – Cook has been up and down for the Lakers. Sometimes he plays sometimes he doesn’t, sometimes he contributes a lot sometimes nothing. He’s a bench player at best at this point and I don’t see him showing anything that leads me to believe he’ll ever be anything more than that. C-

Carlos Delfino – Carlos started the season well, and this is his rookie season since he didn’t come to the NBA last year after being drafted. Carlos got injured though and since then his career has taken a spiral. He’s gone to his own doctors, and basically alienated himself form the organization. He’s been called “soft” now and that has been said by fellow countrymen as well. Carlos will have to learn to trust his team if he wants to make a splash here. C-

Ndudi Ebi – Ndudi should have gone to school. He has spent two years on the Timberwolves IL. They say he is very talented but his body is like a bone and he couldn’t break into the active roster even in a year the Twolves have struggled mightily. Spending 2 years without playing except in practice cannot be good to his development…I hope he can overcome this soon. D

Kendrick Perkins – Kendrick is a beast. I’m partial to him as you can see by my avatar and there is a reason for this. Perk is a ferocious competitor. He said at one point this season, NO LAYUPS, period…and he meant it. He has gotten to play some serious minutes at points this season and has showed he’s a great rebounder and can alter the game with his shot blocking ability. He needs to add to his offensive repetoir. Since Antoine has come back his minutes have dwindled down to almost nothing but I have no doubt he will be back in the rotation next year and make the opposing team pay for coming in the paint. B

Leandro Barbosa – Leandro has not gotten a lot of minutes this year on the surprising Suns team since he now backs up the possible league MVP Steve Nash. When he does get minutes though he does alright with them and I think he’ll be a decent back up in the league but he may not have what it takes to be a starter. C+

Josh Howard – Josh is a model of consitency. The Mavericks have so many options that Josh’s numbers don’t stand out but he steps up when he needs to and has been a real gift to this squad. He will be a solid starter in this league for most of his career and he played in the rookie/sophomore game this season. B

Marciej Lampe – Lampe is now on his 3rd NBA team in the Hornets. He is still soooo young and he hasn’t gotten much in the means of playing time. When he does play he shows that there is hope for him in the future but he really needs to have a break through season next year. C-

Jason Kapono – Jason has been given many chances in Charlotte this year to really contribute and be one of their leaders, even given a starting role at one point. He has not been able to turn it on though and he goes in and out of the lineup. He was selected in the expansion draft for his shooting prowess, but he has been streaky at best. He needs to get it together or he won’t last in this league much longer. C-

Luke Walton – Luke has a great ability to read the floor and make the good pass…but his minutes have been very minute this year on the Lakers after he acquisitions of Odom and Butler. I still think he can be a good bench guy on somebody’s team but I don’t think LA is a good fit at this point. C

Jerome Beasley – No longer in the NBA he was cut by Miami and never cracked the active roster that I know of. F
Sofoklis Shortsanitis – Not in the league yet, we’ll have to wait to see if he ever makes it over, he’s supposedly very out of shape. I

Szymon Szewczyk – I have no information on him and he is not in the league. I

Mario Austin – I’m not really sure why Chicago never game Austin a shot I thought he’d do decent but he’s never made a roster. I

Travis Hansen – Atlanta didn’t retain him even though they had no one, not sure why, he seemed ok as a role player last season. D-

Steve Blake – Blake had some injury problems this season to follow up a very good rookie campaign but since he’s been back he has contributed solid minutes and they like him in Washington, he may get another 2 year deal. C+

Slavko Vranes – Waived by the Knicks last year after being drafted had the height but not the skill, he’d have a lot to improve on if he ever wants a real shot in the NBA. F

Derrick Zimmerman – Never made a roster is playing in the NBDL. F

Willie Green – Green had a very good rookie season but this year his coach says he can’t play Green and Iverson together so Green’s minutes have waned. He still shows he can be decent when given the minutes but he may need to sign somewhere else to crack a rotation as a regular. C

Zaur Pachulia – The Magic left him unprotected in the expansion draft and he was picked by Charlotte and shipped to the Bucks. The Bucks like him and he has played well for them. He’s not flashy and he’s not a star but he’s solid, what more could you want from a pick this late in the draft. C+

Keith Bogans – The Magic traded Keith to the Bobcats early this season and he has helped them quite a bit. He’s a good scorer and is a good leader despite this only being his 2nd year in the league. I think he should get another contract this summer. C+

Malick Badiane – He didn’t come to the NBA yet, verdict still out. I

Matt Bonner – Did not make his roster last season but this year he’s a rookie for the Raptors and he’s playing pretty darn well. He’s scoring and driving and the Raps fans love him. He’s got a good career ahead of him. B
Sani Becirovic – Did not come over to the league yet. I

Mo Williams – Mo became the starting PG for the Bucks this year and he’s done pretty well despite splitting much of the seasons duties with Mike James until James was shipped to Houston. I think he’s a decent PG and has the desire to get better. B-

James Lang – He got a tryout by the Blazers this year but didn’t make the team… I still think he has a chance to be a player and had the Hornets not cut him last year I think he would have helped them some this season. D

James Jones – Played his rookie season this year for the Pacers and got thrown into the mix because of the suspensions. He ave not seen him play and am not sure if he even made the roster.

Paccelis Morlende – Has not entered the league. I

Kyle Korver – Kyle is a sharpshooter who when drafted was looked at as that alone. The kid took a giant step forward this year showing there is more to his game than JUST shooting but still he can shoot the lights out, even playing in the 3 point contest at the all-star game for the 2nd year in a row. He was also a member of the rookie/sophomore game. He will command a pretty decent contract this summer and the 76ers could lose him. B+

Remon Van de Hare – Has not entered the league. I
Tommy Smith – For the life of me, I don’t know why this kid never got a real chance but he hasn’t and I don’t know if he ever will now. D

Nedzad Sinanovic – Has not entered the league. I

Rick Rickert – Played surprisingly well in summer league and camp but had a run in with Kevin Garnett that probably killed his chances. Not in league. D-

Brandon Hunter – Hunter is a rebounding machine but he’s also a tweener and he has a limited offensive game. That said though a team could do a lot worse with their 10-12 players. He was left unprotected in the expansion draft and was picked up by the cats who traded him to the Magic where he now resides. He has a lot of heart and will do whatever is asked of him. C

Xue Yuyang – China was mad he was drafted, said he wasn’t ready and I don’t know when they will let him come over, he has not entered the league. I

Andreas Glyniadakis – Has not entered the league. I

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
this is a fantastic analysis. i wouldn't mind if you did it every year and then sold your changing opinions in a book, but that might be asking too much... :)

bravo. great read.

peace

·
Registered
427 Posts
Josh Howard – Josh is a model of consitency. The Mavericks have so many options that Josh’s numbers don’t stand out but he steps up when he needs to and has been a real gift to this squad. He will be a solid starter in this league for most of his career and he played in the rookie/sophomore game this season. B

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Josh Howard has a lot of the similarities of Scotty Pippen/Ron Artest. He's going to be more than a "solid starter" IMO. He's got the chance to be a star because he's got all around skills. If the 2003 draft was done over he would be a top 5 pick. Just for example he had a career-high 6 blocks last game against the T-Wolves. A couple of those against KG not too bad for second year player.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
I don't think the Darko pick deserves that low a grade. I think Darko's impact so far deserves something mediocre or poor, but the Pistons didn't draft him to play right away. The idea there was to have a developing prospect at the end of the bench while they remained competitive. Big Ben's contract is up after next year, and Darko should slip into the lineup for the 2006-2007 season.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ballocks said:
this is a fantastic analysis. i wouldn't mind if you did it every year and then sold your changing opinions in a book, but that might be asking too much... :)

bravo. great read.

peace
Thank you Ballocks :biggrin: I'm actually working on one for the 2004 draft so I should be posting it at some point in the near future.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RebelSun said:
I don't think the Darko pick deserves that low a grade. I think Darko's impact so far deserves something mediocre or poor, but the Pistons didn't draft him to play right away. The idea there was to have a developing prospect at the end of the bench while they remained competitive. Big Ben's contract is up after next year, and Darko should slip into the lineup for the 2006-2007 season.
Oh beleive me...I'm a Darko fan...I think he's going to still be a star someday...his grade was just based on what he's doing now. Unfortunately I don't think he's going to be a star for the Pistons, I have a feeling that he's pretty upset with that franchise and will want out soon. For the Pistons sake I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
3,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mavs41 said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Josh Howard has a lot of the similarities of Scotty Pippen/Ron Artest. He's going to be more than a "solid starter" IMO. He's got the chance to be a star because he's got all around skills. If the 2003 draft was done over he would be a top 5 pick. Just for example he had a career-high 6 blocks last game against the T-Wolves. A couple of those against KG not too bad for second year player.

I agree if Josh was on another team he could be more, on the Mavericks though, they have such an arsenal of talented players that he's is one of so many. I don't think that's a bad thing....if a team with that many good players all get along and can handle thier roles then that is a powerful team and it says a lot for the players on it.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
so Darko is a C+ but Melo, and Dahntay jones are B- and D+ respectively?

and i like how you gave perkins a B!! B! while melo and jones have B- and D+ when they've show more than perkins.

i like perkins. i'm not a die hard c's fan but i'm a fan, but you're being a homer.

as for darko.. since when did he show "enough flashes of talent" in his limited minutes to know he's not a bust? please, he stinks whenever he's on the court which is why so many posters think he's a bust. darko deserves a D according to your ranking, whether he's a real bust or not. how can a #2 pick play this badly even if he's not getting the PT to show what he can do?

And you keep pointing out the negatives in Melo. okay, so he's not as good as fellow classmates Lebron and Wade, but that doesn't warrant him a B-! Lebron and Wade can have their A+, but Melo himself deserves at least a B+ according to his accomplishment. i feel you are penalizing him for not being as good as lebron.. but how come darko didn't get the same punishment for "underachieving"? Let's not forget Melo carried a then underrated nuggets team to the playoffs as a rookie. and while he's not having a stellar sophmore year, the nuggets ARE in the playoff pictures. IMO, him not being as good as Lebron and Wade, and his immaturity, is why he gets a B, but he's done too much in these 2 seasons to warrant a B-!!! Arguably he even gets a A- from me.

As for Dahntay jones.. you've never seen him have you? did you not see the stretch of games where he was starting for the grizzlies where he put up solid starter numbers?? He's shown more than Darko being a late first round, so a D+ in comparison to Darko's C+??? we all know how deep the grizzlies bench is. he gets to use the "stuck behind a deep team" excuse like darko. if darko is a C+, then he is at least a C+, being a lower pick and having shown more. Truthfully i'd give him a C because while he's shown he can be a nice player, he hasn't been contributing consistently.

Now I can't say i've seen everybody in your list, cuz i haven't, but a couple of them are off. but hey, most of these guys haven't had the PT to show what they can do so unless you're a diehard fan for every single team in the NBA you probably won't know what all these guys can do.

props for the effort though.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Well, he is taking into account where people were picked to some degree, although lower picks still tend to have much lower grades.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts
I've been watching the Pacers all year, so I can probably provide a decent analysis on James Jones.

He's been getting a lot of playing time with the suspensions and even scored 27 points on Seattle back on Nov. 28th. He has a confidence issue, but what former 3rd stringer wouldn't? Occasionally, if he gets hot from 3-point land, he'll burn you, but a lot of the time he's too scared to take an open shot. James is a very athletic player and because of this his defense is all right. You can't really see much skill on the defensive end, but Carlisle has put him on people like Tracy McGrady before and he hasn't done that bad of a job.

·
_(ツ)_ส้้้้&#3
28,008 Posts
The grading scale is questionable at best, and the Dahntay Jones analysis is a total joke when the same logic behind his "grade" is compared to some of the other players who scored high, but it at least kept me reading to the end.

Good effort, but I would have left the grading off altogether.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
I think grading Darko an "I" would have been more fair...to him and to guys who have done something so far and gotten similar or only slightly better grades.

And I say that as someone who still believes Darko can be a possible star in the NBA. I don't think he's really shown anything yet, but he also hasn't had much of a chance. He may as well not have come over to his drafting team yet.

Good read, though I think some of the grades seem a bit inconsistent. As rawse said, it probably would have been better without the grades. But then, grades are like analysis candy! Everyone likes to see them, even if they disagree.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
digital jello said:
Willie Green a C?

Kid's got skills, but the coach doesn't like him. I'd give that pick a B/B+.

Very inconsistent player, one night he may save the game for you by scoring 20 in 20 and the next he might stink it up

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I agree with a D+ on the Dahntay Jones pick because, while he is contributing, the Grizzlies actually traded UP to get him when nobody else was even considering him for the 1st round. He's may not be a D+ player, but it's a D+ pick.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts