Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Yeah he's underrated, and not enough people are talking about him.

Does anyone think Luke Walton can emerge as anything better than a role player?

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Collison is good, but not that good

He was not the focus of the defense at all last season. Most teams don't have two good defensive post players, so they automatically put their best guy on Gooden. Collison is a good player to have if you have a great center, but he won't be able to be the main scorer in the frontcourt. If he's going against the opposing team's best post defender every night he won't be able to score as much as he would as the second option in the post.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well I agree with you on the fact that he will be the D's major inside focus next year, but if I remember from the last Final Four, Collison more than held his own against arguably the best frontcourt of the ACC (Baxter/Wilcox). Actually I thought he was even more consistent than Gooden in that game, he showed some nice moves around the basket and got to the FT line quite often.
So IMO he'll be able to cope with the opposing team's best inside defender.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Re: Collison is good, but not that good

Originally posted by moTIGS
He was not the focus of the defense at all last season. Most teams don't have two good defensive post players, so they automatically put their best guy on Gooden. Collison is a good player to have if you have a great center, but he won't be able to be the main scorer in the frontcourt. If he's going against the opposing team's best post defender every night he won't be able to score as much as he would as the second option in the post.
lol, of course a Tiger fan is going to say that, lol. He also didn't get as many passes in the post as gooden. He has excellent post moves, a great touch, and an excellent jumpshot from midrange. I think he could definitly go lottery. He reminds me alot of Pau Gasol.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Let me be the first to say, Collison is very good.

He is an amazing force on the offensive block. Despite lacking good strength and athletic ability, he still is super effective on the low block. His mid-range jumper is already on the NBA level and he uses the glass wonderfully. He is smooth on the perimeter, he can handle the ball and he runs the floor very well. He also has solid athleticism (on par with guys like Keith Van Horn).

If Collison can add the upper body strength he could be a wonderful pro. He's going to be an NBA 4 but he has the skills to take you inside and outside,

BTW, I would expect him to breakout this year without Gooden. He will still be playing with lights-out shooters and he will have command of the low block (along with Wayne Simeon) full time.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Originally posted by UNCStateGuy
Let me be the first to say, Collison is very good.

He is an amazing force on the offensive block. Despite lacking good strength and athletic ability, he still is super effective on the low block. His mid-range jumper is already on the NBA level and he uses the glass wonderfully. He is smooth on the perimeter, he can handle the ball and he runs the floor very well. He also has solid athleticism (on par with guys like Keith Van Horn).

If Collison can add the upper body strength he could be a wonderful pro. He's going to be an NBA 4 but he has the skills to take you inside and outside,

BTW, I would expect him to breakout this year without Gooden. He will still be playing with lights-out shooters and he will have command of the low block (along with Wayne Simeon) full time.
You said it perfectly, i couldn't agree more

1 - 7 of 7 Posts