Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

2003 Draft: Who will have the greatest impact?

• LeBron James

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Darko Milicic

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Carmelo Anthony

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • All of them will revolutionize the game!

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Someone else not named Lebron, Darko or Melo

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a forgone conclusion that the 2003 draft is a 3 player draft with the top picks being (in order): LeBron James, Darko Milicic, and Carmelo Anthony. Though there are potential dark-horse contenders like Chris Bosh and TJ Ford who may steal a bit of thunder, everyone knows that this year will go down as the Bron, Darko and Melo draft.

With that being said, who do you think in the 2003 draft will have the greatest impact and influence in the NBA for the next several years and why? :cool:

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
At first, I bought into the idea that Anthony is the most NBA ready player, but now I'm starting to move away from that. You can make a case for Anthony having a more mature game, being able to log big minutes. Darko, younger than Anthony, has already been playing against 30 year old men, so he may be more ready than many think. Lebron, obviously has skills, but how well they translate into the NBA early on, isn't certain. On the other hand, Lebron will have a physical advantage on nearly every player he goes up against, and in many cases a huge one, and you could argue that his game is tailor made for the NBA wing position. Darko, will be bigger and quicker than many of his opponents, but definitely less of an advantage than Lebron has. If Carmelo has the mature skills, Lebron has the body and athleticism, and Darko is somewhere in between, doesn't that follow a parallel with this year's top 3 (it is debatable) rookies...Yao is the skilled one with mature offense (Carmelo), Stoudemire is the one with an NBA body and game (Lebron), and Gooden was somewhere in between in these departments (like Darko). If Stoudemire won rookie of the year, why not Lebron? Shooting guard is a position where you can experience immediate success scoring-wise in the NBA...and big men can contribute valuably in the East early-on. I don't think it is as clear as many make it out to be, and this isn't even including some of the other players in the draft! (I didn't vote :))

1 - 3 of 3 Posts