Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hearing that the 2006 class of high schoolers is loaded while the 2005 class is rather pedestrian. I was wondering if some of the experts could offer some perspective on this, as well as comparing them to some recently strong classes (of which 2001 and 2003 come to mind). Thanks.

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
Well I'm no expert, but the 2005 class lacks a dominant NBA prospect big man. The best big men for 2005 are Richard Hendrix (6'8 250), Amir Johnson (6'9 210) Josh McRoberts (6'9 220? - going to Duke).

The 2006 class has Oden (possible #1 overall pick), 7'1 Jason Bennett, and 6'11 Mitchell Carter.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks RebelSun, I did not mean to imply that I was only looking for the "expert" opinions. What I should have said was I wanted some thought out analysis, and comparing the top big men as you did is information I would like to have. Do you happen to have an opinion on whether each of the 06ers you mentioned would all rank above each of the 05ers? Or is the potential of those top 3 06ers (as a group) better than that of the 05ers?

·
Registered
311 Posts
How about the class of 2007
O.J. Mayo- rumored to be next LeBron
Taylor King- Already commited to UCLA?
many many others including Kevin love from my state Oregon, 6'8" post with wing skills and an arsenal of post moves

·
Registered
565 Posts
Re: 6'11 Mitchell Carter

No offense, Rebel Sun, but based on stats Mitchell rarely plays. JSonline (Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal)does not keep track if players are injured, so if he scored thirty points in one game, then missed the next two, he would be scoring ten points per. Anyway, he has scored only sixteen points all year. He plays on a terrific team in Rufus King, so that could be part of it.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Re: 6'11" Mitchell Carter

No offense Rebel Sun, but based on stats, Mitchell rarely plays. ALthough this could be attributed that the site that keeps the stats does not include missed games, so if he scored thirty one game and missed the next two, his points per would only be ten. Anyway, he has only scored sixteen points all year, but the reason might be that his team, Rufus King, is one of the Nation's best, so he might not get much playing time because he is younger. Also, post players in the city conference tend to only be 6'3"- 6'7", and very quick. He might not have the agiltiy to keep up with these people (King already has a senior who is six-six).

·
Registered
184 Posts
I saw Mitchell Carter play against Akron SVSM. He looks out of shape. He barely played and got into foul trouble very quickly. The potential is there though.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yeah i know that class of 06 Detroit King had Ramar and Tracy Smith...both considered top 10 prospects. They were both more than holding there own in the PSL, which is pretty unheard of for freshman. Though i think one of them transferred to a big time hoops academy out east. But still, I have also heard class of 06 is loaded! BTW, I'm in the class of 06...yay sophomores.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The unquestioned best prospect in the 06 class is Derrick Caracter. He is 6'9 260, can hit the 3, put in the floor like a guard, and dominate inside. He is the total package, this year he played against DJ White who Hoopscoop has ranked #4 in the senior class and everybody has ranked in the top 15. Caracter had 19 points and 12 rebounds while White had 15 points and 12 rebounds. I wasn't at the game but I read about how Caracter hit a 3 in the game, and one time took White on the perimeter and shook him up before making a layup. Just to show how talented he is, the summer before his 9th grade year he went to Nike Camp and was considered one of the 5 best players in the camp.

Overall the 06 class is way better with players like Demond Carter, Vernon Macklin, Curtis Kelly and Johnathan Mitchell.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Speaking about Caracter how has he been doing? I remember all the hype about him being the next Shaq but with more skill, but havn't heard his name for a while now. I saw a pic of him and it seen he is in much better shape now. But i do agree Oden is the number 1 prospect in class of 2006.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kmasonbx</b>!
The unquestioned best prospect in the 06 class is Derrick Caracter. He is 6'9 260, can hit the 3, put in the floor like a guard, and dominate inside. He is the total package, this year he played against DJ White who Hoopscoop has ranked #4 in the senior class and everybody has ranked in the top 15. Caracter had 19 points and 12 rebounds while White had 15 points and 12 rebounds. I wasn't at the game but I read about how Caracter hit a 3 in the game, and one time took White on the perimeter and shook him up before making a layup. Just to show how talented he is, the summer before his 9th grade year he went to Nike Camp and was considered one of the 5 best players in the camp.

Overall the 06 class is way better with players like Demond Carter, Vernon Macklin, Curtis Kelly and Johnathan Mitchell.
Sorry to burst your bubble but the best prospect is Greg Oden from Lawrence North in Indianapolis. When he comes out of HS if everything goes according to plan he will be a top 5 pick. The guy has superstar potential in his cards if he stays the right course.

Oden is 6'11 220 and dripping with potential. He will be a dominating player as he continues to progress. He already is pretty unstoppable now.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Can't imagine Oden having more potential than Caracter. He's 6'11 220, which means his body has to fill out, Caracter is 6'9 260, his body is filled out. Do you guys not understand at 14 years old he was one of the 5 best players at the Nike Camp? He outplayed DJ White by a small margin this year, and White is going to be a McDonald's All-American this season. Caracter is a 6'9 SG in a power forwards body, and he is dominant in the post when he wants to be. Nobody is better than Caracter in that class, and nobody has a bigger upside.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
It is a bad thing, if thats the reason your better than everybody else. But Caracter scores in other ways in addition to his size, and the fact that he is filled out, he doesn't have to worry about adjusting to his body later on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts