Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is too early too speculate, especially with recruiting, but there are several teams that stand out amongst others.

Feel free to rip on it,
just my take

1. Duke, Deng is committed to staying, Williams Thompson and Randolph will make a solid front court. If Livingston comes, its icing.

2. Michigan State, Stacked- Davis, Brown, Torbert, Naymick, Hill

3. Arizona, Shakur is promed to take over this team. Should return Frye and Adams as well. Rodgers is solid and if Iguadala, though unlikely stays, they are deep.

4. Wisconsin, Harris is nations top returning pg, Paul leaves, and Butch steps up.

5. Kansas, If Simien stays they are unbeatable. Padget is a super prospect and giddens is a stud.

6. Illinois, Niether star is leaving, can only get stronger

7. Georgia Tech, Dickey brings in strength to a stellar backcourt.

·
RUSH for Three says Owen
9,583 Posts
The only prob I see with Kansas, is help for Simien since Graves is gone. I truly hope Padgett and Moody bulk up. As well as Niang. The front court also depends on Alexander Kaun and Darnell Jackson when they come abroad. Backcourt is stack with Miles, giddens, and Langford,t hen you have Lee, Wikes, and Hawkins as backup.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
The scary thing about the ACC is they were a young conference this past year:

Maryland will only lose Smith. They will be very good.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
texas anyone?- lemarcus aldridge, mike williams, daniel gibson, dion dowell, jason klotz, pj tucker, kenny taylor, kenton paulino and sydmill harris. that looks like a pretty good team to me

and of course unc if the sophs stay

felton, mccants, jr smith, jawad williams, marvin williams, sean may, david noel, jackie manuel and melvin scott. wow that should be a great great team

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Re: Re: 2005 top teams

Originally posted by <b>JuniorNoboa</b>!

Well here's a rip - three Big Ten Teams in the top 6. :laugh:
Haven't they learned from this year. Michigan State just isn't that good.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
LaMarcus Aldridge is going pro. He hasn't even signed the LOI at Texas yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: Re: Re: 2005 top teams

Originally posted by <b>Hong Kong Fooey</b>!

Haven't they learned from this year. Michigan State just isn't that good.
When Michigan State plays a regular schedule like everyone else and gets a true point guard, Drew Nietzel, they should be a top five program. The Big Ten (MSU included) was just very young this year. They hardly lose anyone. It should be one of the top conferences again. Most of you act like you were born yesterday, but the Big Ten traditionally has multiple top twenty-five teams. Odds are if they have a bad season one year, they won't have another bad season the next year.

Here is my top 5 for what it's worth -

1.Wisconsin - Top Ten team at the end of the season, Big Ten champs, return every significant player. Add to that the fact that their second leading scorer who has been injured most of the year will come back, and they will get a High School All-American, Brian Butch, who redshirted this year to bulk up.

2.North Carolina - We all know their story. This is assuming none of them leave early.

3.Duke - Is Luol Deng staying? I haven't heard that. The last I heard, Jay Bilas was talking about how he though he'd go pro since his family are Sudanese refugees.

4.Michigan State - I don't want anyone to give me crap about this pick. I don't know what happened to them this season, or why they were ranked so highly. However, I do know that they finished the season strongly, almost finishing ranked. They return every significant player, including HS All-American Shannon Brown, HS All-American and 4th team All-American Paul Davis, Big Ten second teamer Chris Hill, Big Ten third teamer Kelvin Torbert, Olympian and pro prospect Maurice Ager, and returning starting PG Alan Anderson. All they needed, in my opinion, was experience along with an easier schedule and a true point guard. Well, they got all three of those. Drew Nietzel, Mr. Michigan basketball, is committed to Michigan State.

5.Kansas - David Padgett, J.R. Giddens, Wayne Simien, heck I could list you their whole roster. They've got one hell of a talented team coming back next season.

Honorable mention -
Wake Forest, Syracuse, Connecticut, Gonzaga, Texas, Memphis, Michigan, Stanford, Illinois, Maryland

·
Registered
602 Posts
Well kansasalum how exactly did Graves help Simien? By saving Simien the fouls by fouling out about every game? :laugh: No seriously though, for all of Graves shortcomings, his strength and his bulk will be greatly missed if Padgett doesn't get any bigger, hopefully either Kaun or Jackson can step in and take his place as a banger down low.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Um...Wake Forest, anyone?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: 2005 top teams

Originally posted by <b>Nietzel</b>!

When Michigan State plays a regular schedule like everyone else and gets a true point guard, Drew Nietzel, they should be a top five program. The Big Ten (MSU included) was just very young this year. They hardly lose anyone. It should be one of the top conferences again. Most of you act like you were born yesterday, but the Big Ten traditionally has multiple top twenty-five teams. Odds are if they have a bad season one year, they won't have another bad season the next year.

Here is my top 5 for what it's worth -

1.Wisconsin - Top Ten team at the end of the season, Big Ten champs, return every significant player. Add to that the fact that their second leading scorer who has been injured most of the year will come back, and they will get a High School All-American, Brian Butch, who redshirted this year to bulk up.

2.North Carolina - We all know their story. This is assuming none of them leave early.

3.Duke - Is Luol Deng staying? I haven't heard that. The last I heard, Jay Bilas was talking about how he though he'd go pro since his family are Sudanese refugees.

4.Michigan State - I don't want anyone to give me crap about this pick. I don't know what happened to them this season, or why they were ranked so highly. However, I do know that they finished the season strongly, almost finishing ranked. They return every significant player, including HS All-American Shannon Brown, HS All-American and 4th team All-American Paul Davis, Big Ten second teamer Chris Hill, Big Ten third teamer Kelvin Torbert, Olympian and pro prospect Maurice Ager, and returning starting PG Alan Anderson. All they needed, in my opinion, was experience along with an easier schedule and a true point guard. Well, they got all three of those. Drew Nietzel, Mr. Michigan basketball, is committed to Michigan State.

5.Kansas - David Padgett, J.R. Giddens, Wayne Simien, heck I could list you their whole roster. They've got one hell of a talented team coming back next season.

Honorable mention -
Wake Forest, Syracuse, Connecticut, Gonzaga, Texas, Memphis, Michigan, Stanford, Illinois, Maryland
i'm not convinced davis will be back and gonzaga will be very young, they lose about 5 seniors out of their rotation.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Originally posted by <b>deranged40</b>!
Well kansasalum how exactly did Graves help Simien? By saving Simien the fouls by fouling out about every game? :laugh: No seriously though, for all of Graves shortcomings, his strength and his bulk will be greatly missed if Padgett doesn't get any bigger, hopefully either Kaun or Jackson can step in and take his place as a banger down low.
Dude let's not play around with underestimating the incredible value of Graves. He is the best low post defender and saves Simien for offense, he sets lots of great screens. Although I think his graduation will be more than offset by Giddens turning into a 18 ppg scorer. KU should be #1 on these lists, IMO, especially because Langford will continue to improve and Miles might.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ill subliminal</b>!

Dude let's not play around with underestimating the incredible value of Graves. He is the best low post defender and saves Simien for offense, he sets lots of great screens. Although I think his graduation will be more than offset by Giddens turning into a 18 ppg scorer. KU should be #1 on these lists, IMO, especially because Langford will continue to improve and Miles might.
I agree. Graves is huge, and if Kaun and Jackson are unfinished products (and it seems that they are), than the frontcourt will be a little thin next year. However, Giddens will be improved, we're returning 3 All-Conference 1st team candidates, and we're getting Robinson who looks to be a stud. And don't forget Hairston continues to list Kansas............I can dream, can't I:whoknows:

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
1. North Carolina: Starting 5 of Sean May, Marvin Williams, Ray Felton, Rashad McCants Jawad Williams...that's scary. Marvin is my preseason pick for freshman of the year in the ACC for sure and probably the nation (Jordan Farmar, Al Jefferson, Randolph Morris and a couple others have a good shot too). IMO Marvin could have a Melo-like year, except the very scary thing is that he might be better than Melo (he's a better handler/passer, defender and athlete, shooting is a toss up) the only real question is can he win like Melo does, does he have that killer instinct.

2. Duke: Same old, same old. Deng, Williams, Redick, Ewing and either Nelson or Livingston is a pretty good lineup any way you look at it, but like this year they'll lack size at 2/3 unless Livingston starts.

3. Illinois: Dee Brown wont grow to 6-6, but he's one of the best scoring guards in the NCAA with Bracey Wright (who really has no limit on his jumper).

4. Mich St: They get back pretty much everyone and add a year of maturity and some frontcourt depth in the recruiting class.

5. Maryland: They could be #2 or #3 if Ikene Ibekwe adds 40 pounds (that would put him at 230), but since that wont happen, they're right here. Strawberry and Ibekwe with a year of experience are possibly the best defensive forward duo next year (although Mata and Ariza, and a couple other tandems are also up there).

somwhere from 6-15. UCLA: It's a bit much to expect of the super frosh class (which is #1 in recruiting if Hairston commits finally) but Hollins, Fey, Mata, Ariza, Shipp, Afflalo, Morrison, Thompson, Bozeman, Farmar and likely Hairston give the Bruins amazing depth. Mata and Hollins are just about as good a shotblocking tandem as Okafor and Villanueva. Ariza, Shipp and Hairston are amazing perimeter defenders. Bozeman always has his height advantage and Farmar defends well too (with his quickness). This team is ready for Howland ball, and you all saw how well Pitt has done over the last few years playing his style, with lesser talent I might add.

wont be top 15:
1 Stanford: they get Childress back but lose Lottich, Davis, Little and all three were crucial to Stanford's season (although Davis was injured much of the season).

2. Wisconsin: Harris will declare for the draft (his father got layed-off so the decision has been made for him pretty much) and that leaves the Badgers in trouble.

3. Gonzaga: If Turiaf stays that helps, but losing Stepp and Violette really hurts them.

4. Texas: They lose basically their starting 5 and it's unreasonable to think that Gibson and Aldridge (if he even goes) can lead a team as frosh's.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks the goods,

I didnt put Texas on there because even if Aldridge comes to Austin, having two freshmen as team leaders will likely not lead to a succesful season.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
You can't leave out Georgia Tech. If they get Randolph Morris they should be preseason No.1.

They only lose Marvin Lewis, Clarence Moore and Robert Brooks. One starter (role player) and two bench players (one important, the other not so)

They bring in 4 top 75 players (two top 50)
Zam "Buck" Frederick - PG
Anthony Morrow - SG
Jeremis Smith - SF (has a chance to be real good)
Ra'Sean Dickey - PF

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
Oklahoma State anyone? They lose Allen but that's about it...John Lucas, Joey Graham, Ivan McFarlin, Daniel Bobik all return, and Stevie Graham will probably start in Allen's place...I really think OSU has a good chance at winning the Big 12 again next year. Kansas should be really good too though...

1 - 20 of 87 Posts