Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two fundamental similariites:

1. Bulls have multiple/ample selections/moneyopportunties for major imrovement...

2. The pickings appear and/or prove to be slim.

1989: Stacey King, BJ, and Jeff "Sleepy" Sanders
2000: Fizer, Crawford, Dolibor.
2006 FA: Peja.....um, who else???

Let's hope the Knicks tank this season and we get the #1 pick--hopefully, this draft isn't as bad as '89 or '00.

Of the two, I would say 2000 proved to be the bigger bust: at least BJ proved to be a serviceable player for many years (and an all-star in one, as I remember...how in the world did that happen??)

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
We do not need a lot from this draft imo and we have 4 picks to find what we need. It does not matter that the draft may appear to be weak.

We need a center and a big SG. SG needs to be 6-6 or bigger.

The draft picks could be used in a trade as well. So I am not concerned over the draft.

Same is true with the FA class. We do not need a lot. Not compared to past seasons. In fact we may not even take advantage of FA!

We are a team of roll players. We are 1 player short(and a center), a star short of being serious contenders in the east! We could get such a star via a trade! We have the cap space to take back salary and we have picks and some nice players that may help any team when they lose a star.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I'm all in favor of cashing in our chips for a star, but I'm weary of two scenarios:

1. A repeat of the Jalen Rose debacle. If we had Artest, we'd be in prime position for a trip to the finals....

2. Trading away the guts of our team for someone like KG. Getting KG would be cool, but not if he's surrounded by garbage b/c we had to trade all of our good players to get him. Then, we'd be today's Lakers (superstar surrounded by garbage).

So, what scenarios are there that don't slip into these potholes??

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
So, what scenarios are there that don't slip into these potholes??
I agree, to get KG we'd have to gut the team, but I think we can walk away with someone like Pierce with a good core still in tact.

Would people be ok with a - Pierce for Gordon, Duhon, TT + a pick(there would be fillers to make it work but thats essentially the main players)?
We'd have around $10M left in cap room to boot, so we could probably make a semi decent run at Nene if we still wanted to.

Hinrich
Pierce
Deng
Chandler
Sweets

With our picks we could just draft the best available players.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts