Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
smh at Mel Kiper. He says this USC team has the potential to have it's best defense ever. After losing Sed Ellis, Lawrence Jackson, and Keth Rivers? Thats quite a statement to make. They do have the talent but it's unproven. Galippo, Clay Matthews, and others will have to step up huge.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My top players at every position:

QB:

1. Tim Tebow
2. Pat White
3. Chase Daniel
4. Cullen Harper
5. Matt Stafford
6. Sam Bradford
7. Dan LeFevour
8. Graham Harrell
9. Todd Boeckman
10. Curtis Painter

RB:

1. Beanie Wells
2. Knowshon Moreno
3. LeSean McCoy
4. James Davis
5. CJ Spiller
6. DeMarco Murray
7. Ian Johnson
8. Javon Ringer
9. Marlon Lucky
10. Noel Devine

WR:

1. Mike Crabtree
2. Percy Harvin
3. Jeremy Maclin
4. Darius Heyward-Bey
5. Kenny Britt
6. Jarrett Dillard
7. Sammie Stroughter
8. Derrick Williams
9. Demetrius Byrd
10. Arrelious Benn

TE:

1. Chase Coffman
2. Travis Beckum
3. Cornelius Ingram
4. Jermaine Gresham
5. Rob Gronkowski
6. Brandon Pettigrew
7. Darius Hill
8. Andrew Quarless
9. Dennis Pitta
10. Ryan Purvis

OL:

1. Michael Oher
2. Duke Robinson
3. Herman Johnson
4. Alex Boone
5. Ciron Black
6. Andre Smith
7. Jeff Byers
8. Lee Ziemba
9. Phil Loadholt
10. Eugene Monroe

DT:

1. Ricky Jean-Francois
2. Geno Atkins
3. Fili Moala
4. Sen'Derrick Marks
5. Demarcus Granger
6. Al Woods
7. Terrance Taylor
8. Jeff Owens
9. Marvin Austin
10. Averell Spicer

DE:

1. Tyson Jackson
2. George Selvie
3. Ricky Sapp
4. Michale Johnson
5. Maurice Evans
6. Tim Jamison
7. Greg Hardy
8. Greg Middleton
9. Everette Brown
10. Austin English

LB:

1. Brian Cushing
2. Rey Maualuga
3. James Laurinaitis
4. Jasper Brinkley
5. Marcus Freeman
6. Darryl Beckwith
7. Brian Toal
8. Brandon Spikes
9. Aaron Curry
10. Rico McCoy

CB:

1. Malcolm Jenkins
2. AJ Wallace
3. Vontae Davis
4. Asher Allen
5. Darrin Walls
6. Victor Harris
7. Jairus Byrd
8. Patrick Robinson
9. Josh Pinkard
10. Donovan Warren

S:

1. Kevin Ellison
2. Taylor Mays
3. Nic Harris
4. Courtney Greene
5. Nate Allen
6. Curtis Taylor
7. David Bruton
8. William Moore
9. Patrick Chung
10. Michael Hamlin

·
Registered
45,854 Posts
Man, not 1 Cane on that list. It's been a while since we havent had a highly rated guy at any position before. Our 1st rd streak might be coming to an end this year.

New Canes AD Kirby Hocutt wants to try to set up a game with Notre Dame
Hocutt said UM won't play FIU but wants to book marquee opponents and would be interested in speaking with Notre Dame about one of its new, annual prime-time neutral site NBC games.
Link

I know former AD Paul Dee has tried and failed in the past to get a game scheduled with Notre Dame. What's up with the higher ups at Notre Dame not wanting to play Miami? I think I remember reading something about them not wanting to bring up the whole cathlics vs convicts thing again. Is that what it is?

This rivalry has to be renewed, even though we both suck right now :D

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Rey Maualuga is a beast. I think I am going to try to watch as many USC games as I can because he is fun to watch.

I'm surprised you had Asher Allen there. I didn't think he was that well known yet, but he will be IMO.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Man, not 1 Cane on that list. It's been a while since we havent had a highly rated guy at any position before. Our 1st rd streak might be coming to an end this year.

New Canes AD Kirby Hocutt wants to try to set up a game with Notre Dame

Link

I know former AD Paul Dee has tried and failed in the past to get a game scheduled with Notre Dame. What's up with the higher ups at Notre Dame not wanting to play Miami? I think I remember reading something about them not wanting to bring up the whole cathlics vs convicts thing again. Is that what it is?

This rivalry has to be renewed, even though we both suck right now :D
Yeah I agree it does. But Kevin White (whos now gone) was the problem there. He has done everything possible to water down our schedule to a bunch of lower tier BCS conference schools, an academy or two, and Michigan and USC. I would love to see a series though sometime soon. Although right now it wouldn't be pretty. Your DL is going to be incredible in the future while i'm not so optimistic about our OL. I would love to play Miami every year to be honest. Get rid of Stanford who smash on the regular anyways.

BTW No Canes are on the list yet because this is how I would do the rankings as of now. You have a few guys with potential to end up there when I wind the season down with rankings. Its going to be a fun season.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Rey Maualuga is a beast. I think I am going to try to watch as many USC games as I can because he is fun to watch.

I'm surprised you had Asher Allen there. I didn't think he was that well known yet, but he will be IMO.
Maualuga is awesome. He is a badass as are most of USC's Linebackers.

Asher Allen is going to be a monster of a corner. He will break out this year IMO.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Less than 39 days until UGA kicks off. 38 days 22 hours 29 minutes to be exact. :D

Carson Palmer's rant against OSU = Awesome.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Some observations so far of week one:

-North Carolina State is going to suck this year. That was the most unimpressive blowout ever for South Carolina.

-Speaking of the Gamecocks they will once again field a defense that will be among the nations best yet Spurrier has failed to deliver a QB capable of giving the offense a lift. Smelley looked alright towards the end but the first guy was beyond awful.

-Miami should be improved. Albeit their first performance was against Charleston Southern they looked rather sharp. Cooper, and James give them a good duo in the backfield and Marve will have to just be a game manager. If thatn happens Miami could win 8 games.

-June Jones has his work cut out for him at SMU. His defense looked pathetic tonight. His QB also played like dung after the frist couple of possessions. It will be a couple of years before SMU is in contention for a bowl bid.

-Chase Clement/Jarrett Dillard for Rice is one of the top WR/QB batteries in the country. They are about to smash the record for most TD passes from one QB to the same WR. Clement threw 6 TD passes tonight and Dillard caught 3 of them. Rice also had another kid (#12 on offense) that is going to be a good FB/TE prospect for the NFL.

-Coates was right Al Golden was going to get the job done at Temple. They blew Army out tonight. They are a sleeper in the MAC.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
I think Georgia Tech can pull off a few upsets. Paul Johnson's offense is going to work. I didn't think he would have much success his first year, but if his option attack is that unfamiliar to defenses the unknown factor might work in their favor.

Ryan Perriloux did not look great against their defense, too.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I think Georgia Tech can pull off a few upsets. Paul Johnson's offense is going to work. I didn't think he would have much success his first year, but if his option attack is that unfamiliar to defenses the unknown factor might work in their favor.

Ryan Perriloux did not look great against their defense, too.
Nesbitt and Dwyer are going to be an insane duo in that offense. Johnson is one of the best coaches in college football and he always gets the best out of his teams. In two years they could be a really damn good team.

In Perrilouxs defense his surrounding talent is ***, unless you count uber-bust former 5* WR Fred Rouse. That being said your right he didn't look that impressive.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
My take on some of the games this weekend:

Appalachian State vs. LSU:

LSU wins by 2+ TD's. They have a much better defense than Michigan did at this time last year and they have a good enough running game to help propel the offense. I would be suprised if this is close.

Virginia Tech vs. ECU:

Will be close until the 4th quarter when VT has a huge defensive or special teams play. Hokies by 10.

Syracuse vs. Northwestern:

Northwestern big. They will finally get good enough QB play to qualify for a bowl game this year and they start with a win against Syracuse. Tyrell Sutton has a huge game IMO.

Utah vs. Michigan:

Michigan has the better defense, Utah has the better offense. If Michigans QB can avoid making mistakes they will win. If Michigan has 2+ turnovers while Utah can take care of the ball the Utes will win. Turnover battle is the biggest key here. Michigan by 7.

Boston College vs. Kent State:

BC big time especially if they can contain Eugene Jarvis. Will be interesting to see how the new QB plays.

Michigan State vs. Cal:

I think the Spartans get a huge win on the road. Javon Ringer will have a good game and Brian Hoyer plays game manager to perfection while a tough nosed defense keeps Cal in check. Spartans by 14.

Illinois vs. Missouri:

Mizzou by 21. Illinois will struggle without Mendenhall and will struggle to slow down Daniel/Maclin and co.

Alabama vs. Clemson:

Should be a great game. The defenses are about equal, but Clemson is much better offensively. I think the Tigers will win by 10 as Cullen Harper has a heisman esque performance for the Tigers.

What say you?

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
You know what. I'm just gonna go ahead and say all of them will be close after all the upsets that occured during last season. I'm just gonna be safe.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
You know what. I'm just gonna go ahead and say all of them will be close after all the upsets that occured during last season. I'm just gonna be safe.
lol thats a very conservative approach. Although week 1 thats a great approach to take.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
-Terrelle Pryor has gotten in at QB and he got stuffed trying to run it in from about 10 yards out. It wasn't his fault though his OL gave him the Clausen treatment as in not blocking for him.

-BGSU struggling against Pitt.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts