Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I don't take prediction stabs too often, but here we go.

1. SLU. NCAA
2. UMass. Ncaa
3. X. NCAA
4. Temple NCAA
5. VCU. NCAA
6. Butler. NIT
7. SJU. NIT
8. Richmond. NIT
9. LaSalle Alt. tourney
10. Dayton alt. tourney
11.Charlotte
12. Bonnie's
13. GW
14. Fordham
15. RI
16. Duquesne.

What a freaking league we have. I really think VCU is better than 5, but all these brand new road conference venues will be tough on them. Temple and X don't bring a ton back, but how often do perennial league elites slip from 1 to bottom. The new talent tends to be on par with seasoned talent around rest of league. I think 6 bids could be a real possibility.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I think any of your Top 13 could have really good seasons, some more likely than others obviously.

The depth of the league will lead to a lot of cannibalism, which will be a big problem if we don't perform in the non-conference schedule. This could be a special year if we kick some ass in the early season and knock off the BCS teams we should knock off. If we don't, we'll be disappointed.....we need to perform against the big names so our 9-7 teams will get in. Otherwise, it will be the same-old same-old.....We'll get 3 or 4 in and another 4 in the NIT. We need 6 bids and 2-3 NIT bids, not the other way around....and it will come down to non-con, because we're going to kick the crap out of each other.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I don't take prediction stabs too often, but here we go.

1. SLU. NCAA
2. UMass. Ncaa
3. X. NCAA
4. Temple NCAA
5. VCU. NCAA
6. Butler. NIT
7. SJU. NIT
8. Richmond. NIT
9. LaSalle Alt. tourney
10. Dayton alt. tourney
11.Charlotte
12. Bonnie's
13. GW
14. Fordham
15. RI
16. Duquesne.

What a freaking league we have. I really think VCU is better than 5, but all these brand new road conference venues will be tough on them. Temple and X don't bring a ton back, but how often do perennial league elites slip from 1 to bottom. The new talent tends to be on par with seasoned talent around rest of league. I think 6 bids could be a real possibility.
I don't see UD missing both the NIT and NCAA. We've made it into one or the other the last 5 years, and I don't think we will take a step back this year with Dillard leading the way.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I don't think Dayton fans should expect a step back at all....but most of the league feels the same way about their team. Obviously SJU, UMass, SLU feel good about their prospects. Xavier and Temple have the confidence of sustained success. Dayton, Lasalle had decent years last year and lost little. GW, Richmond have reasons to think they're on the rise.

Someone will be disappointed....and if you are going to put together a prediction list, someone has to go in that 7-8-9 area, and it will be a team that has higher aspirations and decent reasons for them.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
About right s.d. Dayton may be improved as a team, and still be sub .500 in conference there defense was just miserableI have SJU lower, simply because someone has to be, and i think their talent is just slightly lower ceiling imo.Xavier and Temple are so strong at home I see 7 wins there minimum, and then stealing a couple on the road. The names on those jerseys earn a couple wins. I see the newbies really struggling on the road. Richmond and SLU's style translate into lots of road wins. UMass I see struggling with the target on their back, but most talented (like UD 2010). Butler is going to be very improved with a huge infusion of offense.

This league is GOOD.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
This a crossroads for the A10. Never before has the league been nearly this deep. It was going to be somewhat like that even before the 2 strong additions. And the additions just make it incredibly deep. You could have a team finish 9th at 6-10....and that same team would have been a contender just a couple years ago. Get the wrong injury and you're dead. The returning talent at SJU, SLU, Umass just means they'll have a chance to compete. It doesn't guarantee a thing in this league. I think those are my top 3, however....because I love Majerus, I love having a heart and soul leader like Chaz Williams, and I love a game changing defensive player like Aiken. Those assets can get you road wins, and whoever can find a way to win 4 or 5 road games will win the league.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Exactly how I see it spider, though 3 road wins could ice it. SLU has the schedule for that. Having road games at fordham, ri, and/or Duquesne would give a team a HUGE edge this year.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I thought this was going to be a catch-all place to bitch and moan about insignificant things, since that's the way most threads go in the preseason.

This season more than most I just feel like there are too many variables to even take a reliable stab at it. Will Butler and/or VCU transition well to the league? Will Temple and/or Xavier reload? Will Charlotte care? Were Hurley/Ferry good enough hires to do anything with bad teams? Will UMass win the whole thing resulting in z8 transcending his body into a state of pure energy?

·
Proud Jayhawk Dad!
1,002 Posts
This a crossroads for the A10. Never before has the league been nearly this deep. It was going to be somewhat like that even before the 2 strong additions. And the additions just make it incredibly deep. You could have a team finish 9th at 6-10....and that same team would have been a contender just a couple years ago. Get the wrong injury and you're dead. The returning talent at SJU, SLU, Umass just means they'll have a chance to compete. It doesn't guarantee a thing in this league. I think those are my top 3, however....because I love Majerus, I love having a heart and soul leader like Chaz Williams, and I love a game changing defensive player like Aiken. Those assets can get you road wins, and whoever can find a way to win 4 or 5 road games will win the league.
All very good points SpiderDave.

UMass I see struggling with the target on their back, but most talented (like UD 2010).
Stophorseabuse, this is where I lose you. This simply isn't a valid reason for UMass struggling. If I can find one posted by someone then I will give them credit and agree. We do have the most talented team in the league, besides possibly St. Joes. There is no denying that. But where do you get this target on their backs thing from? We finished 5th last year and went to the NIT final 4. That isn't enough success to merit a target being put upon us next season. We have a passionate, hard-working, team with sportsmanship and intangibles that go off the charts. It's not like we are some dirty team that everyone despises. And unlike Temple, this isn't our last year in the conference. There is no vendetta out to get UMass right now. I don't know where you got that from. Is it because of Twister and I's "outrageous" predictions that gave you this idea? Because unless every A-10 player reads the board, then that is simply false.

We as fans have to understand that this is from a player's perspective, not a fan's perspective. And even from a fan's perspective, we have to realize that this board is such a small sample size, and really has no impact or effect on the bigger picture at all.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Really no way to accurately predict this upcoming season but like in all seasons...someone (or two) will disappoint, someone (or two) will surprise.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
G8, struggle I say relatively. Playing when the other team knows you are a perceived power is different. Wait until all the road games are 'insert color' outs. I still pick them 2, but they have a target now. Just like X and Temple every year.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
G8, struggle I say relatively. Playing when the other team knows you are a perceived power is different. Wait until all the road games are 'insert color' outs. I still pick them 2, but they have a target now. Just like X and Temple every year.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
No reason Umass should struggle, except the fact that there are about 8other teams that have no reason why they should struggle. And that's who Umass will be playing most nights.

Umass should have a very good team and maybe the best player in the league. But it won't be even remotely surprising if they lose a game to anyone other than maybe Duquesne, Charlotte, or Fordham - especially on the road.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Exactly how I see it spider, though 3 road wins could ice it. SLU has the schedule for that. Having road games at fordham, ri, and/or Duquesne would give a team a HUGE edge this year.
I agree with both of you in terms of getting 3 raod wins and defending the home court gets you near the top of the heap. The Hawks have every opportunity to be favored in every home game next year)- Fordham,Butler, GW,URI,Richmond,St Bona , Temple and X. I could see 4 "road" wins out of this group (especially since one game is on a neutral court) Fordham, Charlotte,Dayton, Duquesne,Lasalle - not predicting which ones. Lucky to win on the road vs Umass, St Lou, or VCU but would surely take them!

One thing about our non con schedule- some good teams, but no games with a lot of juice (especially at the Fieldhouse)to get the fan base revved up. Our best games are at nova, at Creighton, at Drexel, and Notre Dame and either FSU or BYU in Brooklyn.
There are exactly 3 games to get excited about on campus- Xavier, Temple and Butler (with little revenge matches vs Iona,American, and Harvard)

·
Registered
727 Posts
No reason Umass should struggle, except the fact that there are about 8other teams that have no reason why they should struggle. And that's who Umass will be playing most nights.

Umass should have a very good team and maybe the best player in the league. But it won't be even remotely surprising if they lose a game to anyone other than maybe Duquesne, Charlotte, or Fordham - especially on the road.
Exactly... Anyone in the probably the top 10 can be each other..

Case in point.. The #9 on this list swept the #2 team on this list last year and neither school really lost anything...

This is going to be a slugfest

·
Registered
100 Posts
UD is tough to gage, I think they will be good solely bc of Dillard, heck of a player. Toss in an improved Kavs and you have a nice senior combo there. The unknowns are Sanford and Matt D, have more confidence Matt D is a player than Sanford. Also Benson with his knee, we will see how he does, even though it only takes a 6 months to get back sometimes it takes a full year to get all your movement back. Could take them a few months to gel like X the past few years. Miller has a year under his belt, I am hesitant to put them in top 3 bc of the defense they played last year but I wouldnt be shocked if they are a top 3 team.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
The two new guys that I most anticipate seeing for UD are Devon Scott and Vee Sanford. Devon Scott fills some of the void left by Chris Wright, IMO. We lacked the explosive, athletic forward last year, and that's exactly what Devon is. Vee's offense has been talked up by Archie Miller a lot. I was unexpectedly impressed with the little I saw of him at last year's pre-season scrimmage too. He's creative and athletic driving to the basket. Archie says he can shoot.

I'm still not sure what to expect of us as a team this season. I'm not sure where our overall talent level stands against the better teams in the league because we have so much new blood and the league is revamped with VCU and Butler. We absolutely have to play a better brand of defense than we saw last year. It used to be our trademark under BG. Kevin Dillard is a blue-chipper in this league. Khari Price, his frosh back-up is a complete unknown to me at this point.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts