Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
More and more BCS conference jobs opening up. Rumors flying around. Throwing everything in here.

Arkansas:
Auburn:
Boston College:
Cal:
Colorado:
Kentucky:
NC State:
Purdue:
Tennessee:

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Boston College wants our D-Coordinator Bob Diaco, but hopefully Jack Swarbrick ponies up the money to keep him in South Bend. Would love to see how Cpawfan feels about him now, after trashing him when he was brought to ND.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tennessee>Arkansas>Auburn, but I'll say neither. Gruden has turned down better (Miami, ND[?]). I just want to see Petrino land in one of those three.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
I think Gruden would recruit his ass off, but I'm not convinced he is all that great of a coach. Seems like Charlie Weis 2.0 in college to me, but I guess those schools really don't have better options.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly wondering if Auburn will end up hiring someone better than Kentucky. Nobody with serious potential will touch that job, except maybe Bobby Petrino.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Gruden and the fat man aren't the same at all. Weis was an offensive coordinator for the Jets and Pats (most of the years when the Pats didn't have great offenses, BTW) and then took over Notre Dame. Chuckie has a decade of head coaching experience, winning one Super Bowl, and he should have won another one but got robbed by the tuck rule. He was the last HC who actually succeeded with the Raiders. He was also notorious even in the NFL for being a workaholic, which I think can make him a good recruiter.

I don't think Gruden wants an NCAA job because the money doesn't compare to the NFL, but he'd be great at it.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
JFowlerCBS would be huge. RT @SPORTSbyBROOK Arkansas is engaged w/ reps of the interests of Les Miles & a $5-yr $27.5M offer is on the table
No way this happens. If he didn't leave for Michigan, I doubt he'd leave for Arkansas.

Stoops confirmed at Kentucky. He promised higher ups there that he could win the SEC.

Petrino to Auburn now?

Word is going around that Bill O'Brien will leave Penn State if an NFL team wants him.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Gruden and the fat man aren't the same at all. Weis was an offensive coordinator for the Jets and Pats (most of the years when the Pats didn't have great offenses, BTW) and then took over Notre Dame. Chuckie has a decade of head coaching experience, winning one Super Bowl, and he should have won another one but got robbed by the tuck rule. He was the last HC who actually succeeded with the Raiders. He was also notorious even in the NFL for being a workaholic, which I think can make him a good recruiter.

I don't think Gruden wants an NCAA job because the money doesn't compare to the NFL, but he'd be great at it.
Weis was a workaholic too, and a damn good recruiter. I don't think Gruden would be as bad as Weis, he is garbage, but I don't see him being an elite level coach, especially in the SEC. Gruden would be able to bring in top 10 level classes consistently, but can he put a competent staff around him and can he develop talent? Plus he is an offensive minded coach, you have to play great defense to win the SEC. Gruden would probably do fairly well in the Big 12/Pac-12, but not in the SEC.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
James Franklin to NC State is popping up now. Franklin has some ties to the AD there.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Gruden's unquestionably a better coach than Saban and Miles. You can't say that for Weis. It's going to be about patience and fit more than anything. He's a QB coach by nature and he'll be able to develop a QB better than Bill O'Brien can.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Gruden's unquestionably a better coach than Saban and Miles. You can't say that for Weis. It's going to be about patience and fit more than anything. He's a QB coach by nature and he'll be able to develop a QB better than Bill O'Brien can.
At the NFL level? Yeah, absolutely, so is Weis. You're still bringing up Weis when I was making that connection purely because both (him and Gruden) are much better suited for the NFL level. Gruden wouldn't be as bad as Weis at the college level, but I don't see him as elite either.

At the college level though? He might similar to Les, but he probably needs similar resources to achieve anywhere near the success Les has over the past 5-6 years. Saban though? Get outta here, I know you don't believe that. Saban sucked in the NFL, but he is the best college coach we have seen in a long time.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One problem I have with Gruden in college is the way he refers to the spread during MNF broadcasts, but I do think he could put together an A+ staff with his eyes closed.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Sorry, Saban was mediocre at Michigan State. The only reason those guys are elite at the college level is because the top coaching talent goes to the NFL where the money is. Carroll is middle of the pack in the NFL, but he was a god in NCAA (and better than Saban just FYI). (E: Carroll actually went 48 straight games without losing in regulation).

You don't have to run the spread in college to be successful on offense either. Look at Wisconsin (2010 and 2011) or Alabama and Carroll's USC for that matter.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
I hope Gruden replaces Andy Reid in Philly and stays out of college.

Not happy to see Stoops leaving, but everyone knew he wouldn't be back. Best of luck to him at Kentucky, he's going to need it.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts