Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured that it was about time for one of these given that we've already had the first blockbuster deal. First up is the rumour that the Royals are willing to cash in some of their surfeit of young hitting in exchange for some pitching. Jon Lester and James Shields being mentioned prominently.

If I'm Boston I might do that even if I have to lay Lester's salary. He's turned into a junkballer the last couple of years, and Fenway's pretty unforgiving to left handed junkballers. At Fenway he gets tattooed to the tune of 297/.362/.508, but away from Fenway the line goes down to a solid .236/.293/.364. So KC would add a solid starter in hopes of winning 89 games next year, while Boston continues its 2013-2014 reload.

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, sorry, hellacious day at work and I blanked while typing that.

I think the value for KC comes in Boston paying part of Lester's freight, so that they don't end up with it on their payroll. Still, outside Fenway he's a solid pitcher and the value question is Shields at $9 million or Lester at much less than that.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
If KC trades Myers for Lester or Shields someone needs to be fired in KC. I get you need Pitching but let Myers play and you will be able to get a hell of alot more then Lester or Shields

·
aka Chilltown
3,750 Posts
I am up all for getting rid of Lester, but mostly because he is one of the major problems in the locker room that is left (get rid of Pedroia too and Horseface Lackey). I do think he is a better pitcher than he showed last year.

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, honestly, he's a lefthanded finesse pitcher these days. A few years ago he could hit 96 and worked at 93-94. Now he can hit 93 and works at 89-90. Fenway is pretty unforgiving to left-handed finesse pitchers. Left handed power pitchers with plus changes flourish there, but not guys like 2012 Lester. Outside of Fenway, though, he was a decent pitcher, and would likely benefit from pitching in KC.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
Real question is how much it would have cost to keep Bourn. The answer has to be a helluva lot, either that or he just wants to play elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Amazing trade for Atlanta. Hanson used to be good, but his velocity had been going down. Atlanta gets another strong arm for the 7th inning. Jair Jurrjens is also gone today.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.