Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Yeah it's not really close. You have guys on the 2012 team that are not even all-stars, or barely all-stars. I don't fault Kobe though, he was probably asked if he thinks they can compete with the original dream team, and he probably laughed and said "We could probably pull out the win" or something like that, and the media jumped on it to mean he thinks they're better. What do you expect a competitive guy to say?

If it was Jordan on this team and Kobe on the 1992 team, Jordan would have said the same thing.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
We just don't have the same kind of big man depth today that we did back then. And this team has been bit by the injury bug.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yea watching the interview he's more replying to the question. He's laughing while he answers, and it's not like he's gonna respond by saying they have no chance. Just the media taking his answer and running with it.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Kobe is pretty easily the leader of this team. LeBron is the best player, no doubt, but Bryant is the veteran presence that will keep this team focused. There's a reason why Jason Kidd started in 2008.

·
Registered
414 Posts
How much closer would this be in people's minds if Howard, Wade, Bosh and Rose were on the team? I still think the Dream Team would win but having those 4 injured players on the team would make it closer. Plus I think this year's team has too many PG's to deal with the Dream Team's size.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Here is a simulation, but with NBA rules. Further tweaks can be made; I can't link the setup because it uses java.

http://whatifsports.com/NBA/boxscore.asp?GameID=6385290&nomenu=1&teamfee=-1

2012 just won't stack up. The PGs are sick, even without Rose, but not enough. Karl Malone and David Robinson can take a breather, replaced by Barkley and Ewing? Absurd.

If they could field a 2011 team with Wade, Rose, and Dwight, that would help in the hypothetical match-up.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
How much closer would this be in people's minds if Howard, Wade, Bosh and Rose were on the team? I still think the Dream Team would win but having those 4 injured players on the team would make it closer. Plus I think this year's team has too many PG's to deal with the Dream Team's size.
I can't stress this enough: the 2012 team players have never had to dealt with players such as a prime P-Ew, D-Rob, Mailman and Chuck. They would get murdered inside.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
What this does is validates what Kobe said. All he was implying was that yes - they could beat them. In any one game - they could win. In the simulation they won barely 25% of the time. Which means that yes - on any given night they could win.
a team lead by Bobby Hurley beat them one time - thanks to Chuck Daly - and then was repeatedly obliterated

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts
In a 7 games series, 2012 as currently constructed would take 1, possibly 2 games against 92 IMO. But you throw in a Dwight, Bosh, Rose, Wade and even Griffin to an extent and it get insteresting. I still think 92 takes it but it certainly wouldnt be some ass kicking like everyone assumes.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
I would actually like to see a complete 2004 team play the Dream team:

Kidd
Kobe
Mcgrady
Duncan
Shaquille

Garnett
Ray Allen
Cassell?
'Sheed
LeBron (in the Christian Lattiner role)

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
It's pretty obvious this team would **** up the '92 dream team. All of those guys are in their late '40s and early '50s.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
In a 7 games series, 2012 as currently constructed would take 1, possibly 2 games against 92 IMO. But you throw in a Dwight, Bosh, Rose, Wade and even Griffin to an extent and it get insteresting. I still think 92 takes it but it certainly wouldnt be some ass kicking like everyone assumes.
The only way the Dream Team could be beat is by the other team going crazy from dowtown. Again: you would not score (at least, meaningfully) on the post against Karl/David/Chuck/P-Ew. In fact, i would love to see Lebro/Wade/Griffin/whomever trying to dunk on D-Rob. ;)

·
do better
41,522 Posts
I would actually like to see a complete 2004 team play the Dream team:

Kidd
Kobe
Mcgrady
Duncan
Shaquille

Garnett
Ray Allen
Cassell?
'Sheed
LeBron (in the Christian Lattiner role)
Yeah, something like that. I'd even put Karl Malone at the end of that bench too.

My thing is it's mighty arrogant of this era to say a team that's not even our 12 best can **** with the Dream Team. Come on now. This is the first dream team that on paper has a "weakness", much less the best dream team.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts