Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What summer leagues exist that A10 teams play in? I am guessing Philly and New York have multiple options. Does Cincy have a league that X and Dayton play in? I'd love to hear dome reviews on the incoming players and updates on returning players progress since the season's end.

Duquesne players participate in the Pittsburgh Basketball Club Pro-Am. This league features players from WVU, Pitt, Robert Morris, Youngstown State and other random players that are older. It usually serves as a nice sneak peak of the incoming freshman. Seeing the game up close is also a treat. You never know who will be standing next to you watching the games either, I looked right to my left one time and noticed I was watching with Jamie Dixon. This league begins on Monday 6/18 and goes through the end of July. While the teams do have coaches, the games are pretty much a pick up atmosphere. Defense is pretty apathetic and ball hogs are numerous.

Anyways, here are the teams that Duquesne players are on:

UPMC
Malcolm Gilbert (Pitt)
Cameron Wright (Pitt)
Andre Marhold (Duquesne)
Sean Johnson (Duquesne)
Quevyn Winters (Duquesne)
Anthony Myers (Robert Morris)
Mike McFadden (RMU)
Blake Allen (Youngstown State)
Fletcher Larsen (YSU)
Ashen Ward (YSU)
Eric Malinger

DA
Aron Nwankwo (Pitt)
Kevin Noreen (WVU)
Jabari Hinds (WVU)
Matt Humphrey (WVU)
PJ Torres (Duquesne)
Marvin Binney (Duquesne)
Jeremiah Jones (Duquesne)
Derrick Martin (Duquesne)
Mike Podolsky (YSU)
Lance Jeter
Nick Brown (West Liberty)

Center Court
Martins Abele (Duquesne)
Jerry Jones (Duquesne)
Derrick Colter (Duquesne)
Keaton Miles (WVU)
Dominique Rutledge (WVU)
Velton Jones (RMU)
Lijah Thompson (RMU)
Vaughn Morgan (RMU)
Kendrick Perry (YSU)
Kamren Berlin (YSU)
Mike Lecak (Wheeling Jesuit)

That UPMC team looks pretty stacked to me.

Reactions: Muddy Waters

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
X players play here:

http://cincysportsworld.com/Deveroes-Schedule.html

Used to have UD players, but they have decided not to play with the other top college's riff raff.
Semaj opened up with 21 pts. yesterday and Jeff Robinson had 30.

The Gamecast feature this year is a plus.
I'm glad the UD guys don't go down there anymore. I went once, and it was some of the worst basketball I have ever seen. It's not worth the 2hr round trip for anyone involved from this area, IMO. I like that coaches can structure some of the summer practices now, with a few hours a week of contact allowed by the NCAA.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure how Dayton benefits from not playing in this league. Sure summer leagues are not great showcases of quality basketball but it is hard to find legit DI competition to practice against.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Not sure how Dayton benefits from not playing in this league. Sure summer leagues are not great showcases of quality basketball but it is hard to find legit DI competition to practice against.
In my opinion, the level of competition was irrelevant because players were goaded into abandoning any sound basketball technique or discipline level. The guy who "MC's" the games is like one of the hype men from And1 games, and that is what it looks like. It looked like it was more designed for fun and bragging rights than the sharpening of any basketball skills. It's not that UD players benefit from not playing. It's that they don't benefit from playing. I think that UD can get some good summer practice games right on their own campus, and control the focus of the games there if they wish. Former players, top local HS prospects, etc.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Sure summer leagues are not great showcases of quality basketball but it is hard to find legit DI competition to practice against.
Summer Leagues are "fun" leagues, pretty much just a social experience for the participants. I don't think they will ever be billed as "quality basketball." Just a chance to try out a few things to see what works and what doesn't against decent competition, maybe meet some new friends, etc.

·
Registered
709 Posts
In my opinion, the level of competition was irrelevant because players were goaded into abandoning any sound basketball technique or discipline level. The guy who "MC's" the games is like one of the hype men from And1 games, and that is what it looks like. It looked like it was more designed for fun and bragging rights than the sharpening of any basketball skills. It's not that UD players benefit from not playing. It's that they don't benefit from playing. I think that UD can get some good summer practice games right on their own campus, and control the focus of the games there if they wish. Former players, top local HS prospects, etc.

So what your saying is that its not ok for D1 athletes to have fun playing the game they love? Life would suck if it is all work and no play.

Or maybe UD players just didnt want to embarrass themselves with all the UC, X, Miami, NKU, or any other college players represented in the league....

·
Banned
5,541 Posts
I'm glad the UD guys don't go down there anymore.

I went once, and it was some of the worst basketball I have ever seen. It's not worth the 2hr round trip for anyone involved from this area, IMO.

I like that coaches can structure some of the summer practices now, with a few hours a week of contact allowed by the NCAA.
Re: Deveroes Summer League - Post # 2

The current Flyers are giving Deveroes a miss this season, which is good for UD but not so good for the Deveroes league.

Today's trivia question: Who won the Deveroes league MVP Award at the conclusion of the Summer 2006 season ?

Answer: Adrion Graves, who averaged over 20 PPG in the league.

'Nuff said.

Reactions: FlyingElvis

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Summer leagues are fun, and there's nothing wrong with fans getting a little excited about incoming players. But the lack of defense and structure does mean they are completely meaningless for getting an actual read on new or old players (kind of like AAU and juco stats). Occasionally they've revealed a good player (e.g. Dijuan Harris looked good in a summer league, then coming in as an unknown walk-on at Charlotte and went on to be a good pg for the Niners), but this happens so rarely it's probably more random than anything.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
'Nuff said.

You are right. Not playing in the Deveroes league has helped the Flyers tremendously. In fact, the Cryers almost won league titles and made NCAA appearances the last 2 years. They even outscored Xavier in the aggregate 2 of the last 3 years. The fundamental improvements made by each player has been noticable too. CJ worked all summer the last 2 years on his dribbling and it was huge last year. He raised his scoring 1/2pt/game and his assts./game actually went down. Shows he was looking to take it to the whole hard and showing off his newly honed skills.

Let the kids have some fun and get stay in shape without it having to be a 24/7/365 commitment.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Originally Posted by Muddy Waters on June 22, 2009

"The current Flyers are giving Deveroes a miss this season, which is good for UD but not so good for the Deveroes league."

Don't think Devores misses the Flyer's participation. Rosters are stacked with better players. Nobody ever came to see them play anyway.

·
Banned
1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Muddy Waters on June 22, 2009

"The current Flyers are giving Deveroes a miss this season, which is good for UD but not so good for the Deveroes league."
Really, Mr. 'Nuff Said Muddy? The Flyers quit playing in the league after their first NCAA win in 20+ years and since quitting haven't gone to a single NCAA tournament, but rather 3 NIT's including 2 first round exits. So, how exactly is that good for UD?

Only in Muddy's delusional world. 'Nuff said.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Today's muddy trivia question: Who won the Deveroes league MVP Award at the conclusion of the Summer 2006 season ?

Answer: Adrion Graves, who averaged over 20 PPG in the league.

I guess dayton players didnt want to keep getting embarrassed by kids like Adrian Graves. So sad

·
Registered
776 Posts
Case Study:

Chris Wright and Dante Jackson, similarly rated players coming out of high school. Dante spends his summers tearing it up in the Deveroes league to the extreme pleasure of the the X fans. Chris Wright stays in Dayton and improves, leading him to the NBA. Dante fades into absolute obscurity. And so on and so forth....

·
Registered
709 Posts
Case Study:

Chris Wright and Dante Jackson, similarly rated players coming out of high school. Dante spends his summers tearing it up in the Deveroes league to the extreme pleasure of the the X fans. Chris Wright stays in Dayton and improves, leading him to the NBA. Dante fades into absolute obscurity. And so on and so forth....
Child please....

Derrick Brown, rated lower then both those players coming out of high school. Tearing it up in the Daveros league, much to the pleasure of X fans. Tearing it up against UD, again much to the pleasure of X fans. Then Actually GOT DRAFTED in the NBA where he is full time NBA player and contributor, not a perennial bench warmer who couldn't seem to stay on an NBA roster long without getting dumped to the D league nor get any meaningful minutes in meaningful games when he actually was on that NBA roster.

Lets really not try to compare your NBA player to our NBA Players, This is discussion about summer leagues that are meant to be more fun the constructive.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Case Study:

Funny, don't remember Dante being projected as an NBA draft pick when he was a Soph. or ever, but then he did always play that way against UD, so that may have confused you.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Case Study:

Ha!

Maybe Chris should have played in the DSL. It resembles the NBA game far more than the cryer's offense. Still trying to figure out where CW improved from year to year?

Player Chris Wright
09/10 10/11 08/09
GP 37 36 35

MIN 28.6 28.8 26.1

PPG 13.7 13.2 13.3

RPG 7.3 8.4 6.6

APG 1.2 1.8 .9

SPG 1.0 .8 .9

BPG 1.4 1.4 1.3

TPG 2.4 2.8 2.4

FG% .501 .459 .478

FT% .676 .600 .676

3P% .211 .227 .250

Looking to find that "great improvement" Squid is talking about. Maybe that improvement came in the realization that he couldn't shoot very well outside. His 3pt.attempts went way down from his soph year. Solid points though Squid. Solid points. I think Xavier should send all their players to the "Dayton Summer Improvement" program. The difference is remarkable.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
GW and other DC area players will be participating in the Kenner League at Georgetown's Mcdonough Arena. The schedule MAY be available before games start, the rosters will only be available if you start asking people sitting around you if they know who the players are and the hot dogs will taste like lukewarm rubber.

You'll also probably see some NBA players making guest appearances and a few stretches of fantastic summer hoops.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts