Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the season is officially over. Time to look towards the draft and see how we can strengthen.

Draft Express Mock Draft

NBAdraft.net Mock

20th said:
K.J. McDaniels has emerged from obscurity to develop into one of the best all-around players in college basketball, helping his Clemson squad to a 8-6 record in the ACC thus far. McDaniels has been stuffing the stat sheet all season long, ranking very highly among top-100 prospects in a variety of categories, including points per-40 pace adjusted (6th overall), rebounding (4th among wing prospects), steals (4th among wings), and blocks (1st among wings and 8th overall).
20th said:
Jeremi Grant. Impressive physical specimen of a forward ... Has a huge wingspan (7'2"), making him a potential terror on the defensive end ... Great all-around athlete ... His combination of size and length help him to simply overpower and out athleticism smaller wing forwards ... Fantastic shot-blocking wing player ... Can guard multiple positions thanks to his length and lateral quickness ... Good offensive rebounder who can produce a lot of second-chance buckets ... Equally comfortable driving to his right or his left ... Decent shooter from out to beyond the 3pt. arc ... Unselfish player with good court awareness who makes the extra pass ... Capable of rebounding the ball and then running the fast break himself...Has a lot of raw physical tools and a decent skill set at age 19, making him a guy with a lot of upside ...
37th said:
Glenn Robinson III. Tremendously athletic small forward who plays with a lot of energy … A great above-the-rim offensive player, Robinson is on the receiving end of many a lob pass … Ambidextrous. Can drive either direction with either hand ... Finishes strong at the basket, as well ... Good NBA body, standing 6'6" with a solid frame and a 6'9" wingspan ... Good at probing the defense for holes and finding a driving lane to the basket ... Runs the floor well and can be a terror in transition ... Good lateral quickness and long arms makes him a solid perimeter defender ... Attacks the offensive glass and scores on a number of putbacks and second-chance tip-ins ... Has great defensive instincts which, along with his long arms, allow him to jump the passing lane and take the ball the other way for an easy finish ... Solid shooter from midrange. Shot 49% overall, which is a testament to his efficiency and patience on offense ... Doesn't force things on offense, but when he chooses to attack, he does it with aggression and commitment ... Good free throw shooter. Shot 76% this season. Appears to be a better shooter than his numbers showed based on his form and shooting in practices ... Played for a pair of Michigan teams that made deep runs in the tournament …
59th said:
Johnny O'Bryant. Measured 6'9 (with shoes) 260 lbs with a 7'1.5 wingspan at the 2013 Nike Big Man Skills Academy
Who have you all got?

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
re: 2014 Draft | Raps pick Bruno Caboclo & Deandre Daniels

At 20, I think Elfrid Payton would be some pretty solid insurance in case Lowry leaves. I got the chance to see him quite a bit at ULaLa and I think he has a little of that poor man's John Wall potential.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts

I could see the Raps packaging the picks to move into the top 15 and try to get Tyler Ennis.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts

I think drafting a PG would be a good idea. I don't think we will re-sign Vasquez which is the right decision. Vasquez would demand more than a backup PG salary (at most 5 mil/yr in my opinion). Given that Lowry will likely cost us around 10 mil a year we need to look elsewhere for a backup point guard.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts

I agree with @seifer0406. It's either got to be Lowry or Vasquez for this franchise - not both. Drafting a PG to be the back-up to either makes a good bit of sense.

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts

lowry playing hard ball, I think it may cost 11-13 mill to keep him 3 year 36 mill, without him we lose to much, D, leadership without him, and the syrucruse PG would nice and we should use our mle on a experienced sf that would be capable to guard jo jo and melo if he stays in ny.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I hope we can keep Vasquez and Lowry, the connection this team has is in large part down to those guys. They're essential to me.

Focus on bringing in a SF with the 1st round pick, my list probably looks a little like:

1) Jerami Grant
2) Adreian Payne
3) PJ Hairston
4) Rodney Hood

The only thing I'm certain of is that Masai will take the BPA and do a great job, we don't need to worry about any Rafael Araujo scenarios.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts

Focus on bringing in a SF with the 1st round pick.
The more I think about it, the more I think the only potential starting spot on this team is at PF... as long as Lowry is resigned. You're not going to find a PF better than Amir at the 20th pick in this draft (I wouldn't imagine). Therefore, you're going for a 6th man option. If they plan to bring back Vasquez, they should probably try to add a third big or third wing. If not, they will need a back-up PG.

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts

keep lowry, make sure ross hits the gym hard, need to pick up both Patterson and vas options, add a vet back up c like dalembert.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Not sold on Ross?
He's terrific but him and DeMar can't cope with the bigger more physical wing options. If we want to win a title, we need to stop the likes of Joe Johnson, LeBron, Durant etc...

I just think this draft is loaded with good potential on the wing, so we may as well fill the need. Salmons and Fields aren't the answer. (even if I still like Fields).

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts

I mean he's going to need to develop some shooting range to play SF on offense. So now he's more of a PF on offense.

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts

I just hope he turns out better than a Pietrus. Maybe similar to an Mbah a Moute.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts

We have some holes for sure- a wing that can create his own shot, a big wing that can defend, and depth up front come to mind. I think we are good enough where we can take the best player available.

I like GR3, Payton, or even the Swiss kid at 20, among others. If we don't go wing at 20, I would like to see us bring Melvin Ejim home at 37- hopefully he can develop into a 3 and D player.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts