Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 120 Posts

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts
re: 2014 Draft | Raps pick Bruno Caboclo & Deandre Daniels

Is Payne a better defender than PPat? Because they seem pretty similar skillset wise.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts

@RollWithEm what makes you say this about Payton? I like his size and reported skillset, but obviously have not seen him play.
I've seen him play a lot. His game is predicated on his ability to penetrate, but I just don't think he has NBA-level speed or quickness. His ball-handling is not sharp enough to consistently get in the paint at this level. He's also not strong enough to finish through contact. Add that to the fact that his jumpshot is not too solid... and you have a dangerous prospect. I think he will likely be a waste of a pick.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts

Is Payne a better defender than PPat? Because they seem pretty similar skillset wise.
Payne's a better rebounder. They are similar defensively. Patterson has more range at this point in his career because he has worked to extend that range. At the time they both entered the league, I would say they were similar in that respect as well. Good comparison.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

http://www.nba.com/raptors/thursday-pre-draft-workout-recap

After a series of workouts with players who could be second-round selections, the Toronto Raptors spent Thursday looking at some whocould be options with their first round pick later this month.

In a six-player workout that included UCLA’s Kyle Anderson and Clemson’s K.J. McDaniels, Raptors director of scouting Dan Tolzman talked about the disadvantages of drafting before the free agency period. The key is to treat each situation separately.

“I think the biggest thing is to not make draft decisions based on that, on your current roster and your current situations,” Tolzman said. “You keep it in the back of your head and you'll take it into account when you're drafting players but if the most talented guy or the highest guy on your list happens to be a position that you’re loaded up with you can work stuff out later. You can use all those guys as assets later.”

Although Toronto had a hugely successful 2013-2014 campaign, the front office knows they are more than one move away from becoming a championship-contending team. With three picks in the draft, including the 20th overall, there’s plenty of opportunity to address some of the gaps that need to be filled.

“I think the main thing for that is the position that we're picking,” Tolzman said. “I think at 20 the chances of you finding a guy that could be that one guy away are slim to none. To come in right away and do that, those guys aren't available at 20. Whether it’s the best player available or just the best player on your board, it could be totally different. If it fits with the culture of the team and the makeup of the locker room, and all of that stuff, in addition to him being a project, I think you roll the dice on a guy like that because you do have a little bit more of an opportunity to develop that person as your team builds on its own.”

While McDaniels is an interesting prospect because of his athleticism and ability to disrupt on defence, Anderson is intriguing because of his ability to play the point and create offence while standing 6-foot-9 and playing a below-the-rim game.

Anderson embraced the opportunity to talk with NBA coaches and general managers at his workouts.

“It's half the game,” Anderson said. “You take in that information, what they had to tell you and you use it, you apply it. You want to keep that bridge. Later on down the line, in the NBA, if they don't draft you now they may want you later. Just have a good personality, and that's not a problem for me.”

Anderson spent time after the workout speaking with Raptors head coach Dwane Casey. Not surprisingly, Casey was giving him advice about the defensive end of the floor.

“One thing coach Casey taught me today is when on defence making the offence feel me,” Anderson said. “Whether that's getting up, being physical, whether it's using my hands, just using my advantage. Just being physical that's going to help me later on in the workouts.”

The roles Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler have played in their teams respective success is something teams will consider when looking at McDaniels throughout this process.

“You’re looking for guys who can come in and impact the game without needing the ball or without really needing a big role on the team,” Tolzman said. “And it’s guys like that where they kind of carve out a niche as a defensive-minded guy and then they improve all the other things and they become so much more well-rounded. And I think K.J.’s the same way. He can get on the floor because of his defence and, from there, who knows? The sky can be the limit with him because he does have all the athletic tools and ability on that side.”

The Alabama native has been leaning on Phoenix Suns guard Eric Bledsoe for support and advice leading up to the draft. While he has improved as an offensive player each year at Clemson, it’s his ability to affect the game without plays being run for him that intrigues scouts and team officials.

“When he first started he was pretty much just a high-wire, interior type guy,” Tolzman said. “This last year, he was all over the floor, did all different types of things offensively. I don’t know if he’s comfortable enough yet to come in and shoot the NBA three, but that’s definitely the type of thing where, as he gets more comfortable stretching his range out, he’ll absolutely be that type of guy.”

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

More from Tolzman (Raptors Director of Scouting)...

“I have always thought that if you could get defensive minded players that’s more important than offensive minded players because all of the (skills like) shooting and offensive-type principles, you can work on those, you can build on those, but the mentality of a defensive player, a lot of time, it’s ingrained,” Tolzman said. “If you get a guy who is not into playing defense or just doesn’t buy into that, that’s always tough to develop a guy like that to become a defensive player. Whereas, if you draft a guy who is a defensive guy – maybe his shot isn’t perfect or he doesn’t have the best ball handling skills – you can work on that. That is the whole idea of assistant coaches working on player development. Defense might be what gets him on the floor as a rookie because he busts his tail, because he isn’t afraid to mix it up defensively and all that other stuff will come over time and that’s where they develop into better players that way.”

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

^ All of which would lead me to thinking we won't be taking Kyle Anderson or TJ Warren.

Clint Capela would be an ideal running mate next to Jonas - 6'11" in shoes, 7'4.5" wingspan, 9'2.5" standing reach, 222 lbs., 11 ppg, 6.5 rpg, over 1 bpg in about 20 minutes in the Eurocup... similar #'s in the French.

We could expect him to block some shots, get some dunks, show flashes on both ends, should be a good defender in limited minutes but will foul. Comparison to Ibaka with a little more roll and a little less pop. Can/will play some minutes at backup 5 due to terrific length and defensive acumen. Similar calibre prospect to Biyombo but more skill and therefore more of a PF. With JV he gives your front court elite length and shot-blocking without sacrificing quickness. Finally, he can operate outside-in from the high post so spacing should be fine.

The Suns seem keen on this kid and Hornacek has been caught giving glowing reviews about his skillset so we might need to move up to #17 to snag him.

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts

Capela has a lot of good things going for him. The only negative I've read is attitude and effort issues. And obviously offensive deficiencies. But those can be overblown sometimes.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #48

IT'S DRAFT DAY!

Here is the latest Raptors rumour.

The Toronto Raptors are interested in acquiring the 22nd overall pick from the Memphis Grizzlies.

The Raptors would have to take back Tayshaun Prince in exchange, while sending out John Salmons and the No. 37 pick to the Grizzlies.

The Raptors are believed to be interested in Tyler Ennis.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts

Please tell me we'd be retiring Prince or buying him out to make room for others. And this is really about the pick and getting something for Salmons who we would have gotten rid of anyways.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts

Wiggins!!! Atta boy :) Congrats to him, his family and the rest of us Canadians!!!

I also like the look of Dante Exum. Woulda been fun for us to get him ... Bit lotsa other talent out there tonight.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts

Leo Rautins jinxed us!!!
Why'd he even mentioned Ennis still being available at 18 :gunner:

·
Premium Member
897 Posts

What the hell??? Bruno Caboclo ???

Who the heck is this kid?? Again the panel is stunned by our pick :-(
Not a good sign considering our history of picks when we do that.
"He's two years away from being two years away" awwww wtf !!

·
Registered
10,057 Posts

The problem I have with this pick besides the obvious likelihood that he'll never make it to the NBA is that we could've gotten him later, A LOT LATER. I am a fan of drafting guys with potential with late picks rather than drafting role players but you should still draft him near where his projected position is.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts

I'll have to trust in Ujiri. I just don't know what the long term plan is for this kid? Is he a long (long) term replacement for Patterson or Amir?
The next pick ... DeAndre Daniels looks like another T.Ross so at least playable and workable... Oh well. Time will tell.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

I woke up at 02.30 to catch who we drafted live. All I can could muster was.... who?

Now it's 06.30 and I am back up for work, and I am still at the..... who?

I've seen one YouTube video of this kid, and he looks like exactly that, a kid playing against other kids in a rec league.

The call him the Brazilian Durant.

41 - 60 of 120 Posts