Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
I just like to put things into perspective. Even if this pick turns out to be trash it's only the 20th pick. If our team fails next year it's not going to be because we didn't draft a certain player that was available at 20. If there is a player that's this valuable then at least 10 other teams ahead of us made the same mistake.

I just wish Masai was hired a year earlier. He would've taken a chance with Drummond instead of going with Ross as Drummond's upside was so much greater than Ross's.
see the mentality of raptor fans/management? we are so accustomed to failure we don't even expect/give our best effort anymore. i don't care if only 2 out of 10 players available at the time would pan out, we still got to make our best pick. it is inexcusable to draft a second round talent when there were a handful of solid prospects available.

i am hopeful that masai is the savior that so many raptor fans think he is. unfortunately his draft picks this year pretty much shatters my confidence in him. i mean really.. no homework on the 20th pick that you had to resort to picking the guy you were hoping to get in the second round? i would fire people who half-ass their jobs like that...

i understand harsh words are difficult for raptor fans to hear during honeymoon season with the GM but it was the same BS with colangelo. i was calling him out on his BS painting bargnani as a franchise player and signing of hedo, kleiza when so many raptor fans were willing to give him the benefit of a doubt. Masai has got to do better.

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts
I wonder what Bruno's 7 middle names are.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
see the mentality of raptor fans/management? we are so accustomed to failure we don't even expect/give our best effort anymore. i don't care if only 2 out of 10 players available at the time would pan out, we still got to make our best pick. it is inexcusable to draft a second round talent when there were a handful of solid prospects available.
I don't think my assessment has anything to do with the culture of the team as I specifically listed all the 20th picks in years past to show the likelihood of the pick being a bad player. This was to counter the notion that the Raptors gave up a solid player in order to take a risk on an unknown player. I was simply saying that if we look at the past, players taken at or after 20 are mostly bad. You can't make the claim that you gave up a solid player when chances are you wouldn't have gotten a solid player in the first place. Even right now can you really tell me a player that was drafted after 20 and predict that he will be an impactful player? Is it Shabazz Napier? Clint Capela? Rodney Hood? Kyle Anderson? I'm willing to bet that more than half of them would be out of the league in 3 years. That's not crazy talk, that's just what the draft history tells us.

As for your point of make our best pick I definitely agree that we should give our best effort. I'm saying that I can't make make that judgement right now without giving him a chance to show what he can do.

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts
He has good height at 6'9" and length. Can't say too much about him as a player until Summer League.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
i gave my thoughts on bruno the player. based on those videos he looks like an amateur. freak athlete for sure but damn the kid needs major work on his game. he even just needs to play more basketball. how do you mistime your jumps like that?

he looks like a kid. probably a good kid too. so i hate to be critical of him. but based on those videos(including the recent workout for raps) he had no right to be picked in the first round. i was watching videos of gordon, smart, and even the unathletic kyle anderson(who was picked 10 picks later) and they all look so much smoother. that's the difference between a legit nba prospect and an amateur athlete.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
He has good height at 6'9" and length. Can't say too much about him as a player until Summer League.
Bruno vs Julius Randle on opening day. Then vs Gary Harris.

Both picked above him, both have years of experience on him, so I guess we'll find an awful lot out in regards to his 'readiness' in those two games.

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts
Heard on Toronto radio, us and the Suns were 2 of the teams most interested in Bruno. The common link was Leandro Barbosa. I guess Masai thought Suns would have drafted Bruno instead of Bogdan so he could not wait until 37.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Heard on Toronto radio, us and the Suns were 2 of the teams most interested in Bruno. The common link was Leandro Barbosa. I guess Masai thought Suns would have drafted Bruno instead of Bogdan so he could not wait until 37.
Masai must have been really pissed at the Suns franchise on draft day.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
It was clearly the worst pick in the draft man.
That's impossible to say at this point. I mean he may very well bust but it seems like every year there are Euros that never end up making it over (what's up Yaroslav Korolev) so I'm just saying I think it's a meaningless evaluation at this point.

But that's besides my initial point, every year guys throw fits no matter who we draft seemingly out of habit and it's generally quite excessive. I mean let these guys do their jobs and let's see what happens down the line, and if a pick doesn't work out then, well, shit, it happens. And I'm not trying to make a statement specific to guys on here but about the collective Raptors fan base in general. The bottom line is Bruno is a Raptor, so I'll hope for the best.

To be clear, I have no opinion of Bruno so I have no choice but to trust in our team's management. At the same time I'm not going to pretend that outside a couple exceptions (Wiggins, Bhullar and Stauskas whom I know from their time playing up here - totally patting myself on the back here haha), I've seen much more than highlight tapes for any of these guys if that. And I'll assume that the same goes for most anyone else too. So I mean just because Jay Bilas or the nbadraft.net guys didn't have the guy ranked at or around 20 doesn't mean Masai's board was wrong. And for the record, it was the 20th pick.

/rant

edit- this reply wasn't exactly intended for you, @R-Star, more the thread in general

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
That's impossible to say at this point. I mean he may very well bust but it seems like every year there are Euros that never end up making it over (what's up Yaroslav Korolev) so I'm just saying I think it's a meaningless evaluation at this point.

But that's besides my initial point, every year guys throw fits no matter who we draft seemingly out of habit and it's generally quite excessive. I mean let these guys do their jobs and let's see what happens down the line, and if a pick doesn't work out then, well, shit, it happens. And I'm not trying to make a statement specific to guys on here but about the collective Raptors fan base in general. The bottom line is Bruno is a Raptor, so I'll hope for the best.

To be clear, I have no opinion of Bruno so I have no choice but to trust in our team's management. At the same time I'm not going to pretend that outside a couple exceptions (Wiggins, Bhullar and Stauskas whom I know from their time playing up here - totally patting myself on the back here haha), I've seen much more than highlight tapes for any of these guys if that. And I'll assume that the same goes for most anyone else too. So I mean just because Jay Bilas or the nbadraft.net guys didn't have the guy ranked at or around 20 doesn't mean Masai's board was wrong. And for the record, it was the 20th pick.

/rant

edit- this reply wasn't exactly intended for you, @R-Star, more the thread in general
My only issue is that the Raptors probably could have got him with their 2nd pick. Why jump off the board to get him at 20 when he'll be there at your later pick? That's what confuses me.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Open Gym: Bruno Caboclo Arrives In Toronto - YouTube

How can you not be at least a little pumped about this kid? @c_dog @R-Star
I hope the best for him. He seems like a really nice young kid. He has the physical tools to be a beast. It will be interesting to see if he can put it all together. This might be a kid who takes 4 years to catch up, but when he does, he could be a hell of a player on both side of the ball.

81 - 100 of 120 Posts