Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every team has played 10 games at this point, it is time to dish out the A-10 Mid-Season Awards(I tried to stick to only 5 players/team)

I found it very hard to this year to pick the 1st Team.

POY-- Jack Gibbs -Melvin Johnson, DeAndre Bembry and Jay Adams might have an argument

1st Team

Jack Gibbs--Davidson
Jay Adams--St. Bona
Charles Cooke-Dayton
DeAndre' Bembry-STJ
Melvin Johnson-VCU

2nd Team

Marcus Posely-St. Bona
Derrick Colter--Duquesne
Tyler Cavanaugh-GW
Isaiah Miles-SJU--could be on 1st team instead of Cooke
Terry Allen-Richmond

3rd Team

Scoochie Smith-Dayton
Jordan Price-La Salle
Mo Alie-Cox-VCU
Patrico Garino-GW
Hassan Martin--RI
(would not surprise me to Dion Wright, Cline, Thompson or Rhoomes also make the third team, I am just not sure who i would take off)

ROY-Otis Livingston-Mason

Rookie team

Otis Livingston-Mason
Steve McElvene-Dayton
Joseph Chartouny-Fordam--could also be ROY
Jermaine Bishop-SLU
Nikcola Akele--RI

Coach of the Year

Will Wade-VCU so far. Martelli and Schmidt in the mix

DPOY--Toss up between Hassan Martin and Mandell Thomas

All Def. Team;

Hassan Martin--RI
Mandell Thomas--Fordham
Ja Quan Lewis--VCU
Patricio Garino--GW
Doug Brooks-VCU

6th Man

Need some help here?

Tear it apart and have at it!

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
Come on, you are really going to leave Tyler Cavanaugh off to put your guy on?

If GW fans cared about this board and posted here, everyone would basically have him third on the list after Gibbs/Bembry.

Garino making a case for first team, too, with his play of late. Didn't see POw awards yet but I assume Garino is POW this week.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I should add, truth is there are about 8 guys right now with a strong case for first team (including Adams and Cavanaugh, your choices Cooke and Melvin, terry Allen, and others). Lot of games to be played to sort things out. Some players will be snubbed and the personal biases of the voters will probably decide it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should add, truth is there are about 8 guys right now with a strong case for first team (including Adams and Cavanaugh, your choices Cooke and Melvin, terry Allen, and others). Lot of games to be played to sort things out. Some players will be snubbed and the personal biases of the voters will probably decide it.
I agree FQ. I had really tough time picking just 5 guys. My nephew goes to GW and we talk about Tyler Cav. all the time. They would not have the record they have without him. He has overall better stats than Cooke.

But Jay Adams by any measure anyone wants to debate, after 10 conference games, is a 1st team A-10. Name a stat/category(other than rebounding-Jay is PG) or even an intangible, and only Gibbs is better.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Didn't see POw awards yet but I assume Garino is POW this week.
One could make that assumption. This week's stat averages:

Garino 22 pts, .5 assists, 3.5 rb, 72% efg%, 71% ft
Adams 25 pts, 5.5 assists, 4 rb, 65% efg%, 92% ft

Both teams 2-0 for the week, although you could argue that GW's 2 wins were bigger with the win at VCU. Let me add that I have not looked at anybody else's performance this week, so I really don't know who will be named POW. I am also not commenting on the midseason awards. I don't watch enough of the teams other than Bona's to be able to judge.

·
Registered
947 Posts
If a Rhody player is getting on the 3rd team, I think Jarvis Garrett deserves it more than Hassan: 13.2 / 4.0 / 4.2 with 42% 3-point shooting. And that's after a cold start to the season (16.4 ppg and 58% 3-point shooting in conference games).

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Big Steve is 2nd in the conference in block shots, 0.2 blocks per game behind Martin. It seems like block shot totals (as well as steal totals) play a big role in the all defensive team selections (as opposed to raw, 1 on 1 defensive ability, which is harder to gauge and has no easily accessible stat to account for). That plus his 12th ranking in boards per game probably make him an all defensive team candidate, not sure if its enough for one of the 5 spots, but in the conversation.

Shevon Thomas leads the conference in rebounding, which will likely get him consideration for the all defensive team as well, but like big Steve, not sure if its enough to get 1 of the 5 spots. He doesn't appear in the block shot category, so he'll likely get dinged; I'm not a good enough judge of 1 on 1 defensive ability (nor I have seen enough games) to know how many shots he alters or what kind of affect he has down low.

w/o the suspension, I would have thought Pierre was a lock for one of the teams, not sure how voters will look at his numbers, which are mostly just conference games (plus 2? OOC games). He's still the best (and most important) piece to the Dayton squad (has been for 3 seasons now), but he won't have the raw number totals, and he is mostly a jack of all trades kind of player, so his averages, while solid across the board won't jump out in any 1 area. I wouldn't be shocked to see him make 2nd team all conference, I wouldn't be shocked to see him left off completely.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
But Jay Adams by any measure anyone wants to debate, after 10 conference games, is a 1st team A-10. Name a stat/category(other than rebounding-Jay is PG) or even an intangible, and only Gibbs is better.
I have to disagree. I'm not sure if Adams gets on the first team or belongs there, but don't tell me Gibbs is better. One game is admittedly a small sample size, but Jay thoroughly outperformed Gibbs in their lone meeting. Gibbs seems ball-hoggy to me. But he'll get 1st team and possibly POY because he's been talked about all year and voters rely on the numbers on a stat sheet. He's good, don't get me wrong, but call me a homer, I think Jaylen is better.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I think we're going to have to make room for Jaire Grayer (Mason) on the all-rookie team as well. He went ice cold in December and got forgotten a little bit, but he's been just as impressive as Livingston, and with Marquise Moore out, those two are going to get 35+ minutes a night moving forward.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have to disagree. I'm not sure if Adams gets on the first team or belongs there, but don't tell me Gibbs is better. One game is admittedly a small sample size, but Jay thoroughly outperformed Gibbs in their lone meeting.
Yes. It is a very small sample size. That took place on your floor. While Davidson had three starters out with injury.

Gibbs seems a little ball-hoggy to me
Dude is averaging 4.9 assists a game. .1 less than Adams.

I like Adams a lot, but Gibbs is better.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Yes. It is a very small sample size. That took place on your floor. While Davidson had three starters out with injury.
Three?

You just started Reigel against Duquesne, he came off the bench against us. Sullivan was out. And you had to start Jordan Watkins who only scored 23!

That win doesn't look so good anymore, since you were only at 40%.

Gibbs is real good, I hear ya. I think Adams is more efficient offensively. But Gibbs does flat out score buckets.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Our intended starting lineup for this year was:

Gibbs
Sullivan
Barham
Aldridge
Belford

Our starting linuep for Bonna was:
Gibbs
Watkins
Michelson
Aldridge
Ekwu

I'm not discounting your victory, just offering an explanation for why Gibbs wasn't as good in that game. He was trying to do too much. He still does, from time to time. He's still better than Adams.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts