Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
re: 2015 Draft | Raps pick Delon Wright & Norman Powell

I will be interested in hearing how Jerian Grant, Hollis-Jefferson and Anderson perform. They are all ranked around our pick, so they are realistic options.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The Toronto Raptors officially kicked off their pre-draft workouts on Wednesday with a morning session at Air Canada Centre. Jerian Grant (Notre Dame), Rondae Hollis-Jefferson (Arizona), Maurice Walker (Minnesota), Justin Anderson (Virginia), Chavaughn Lewis (Marist) and Dallin Bachynski (Utah) were the six prospects participating.

The energy was high as the session broke down into three-on-three, two-on-two and one-on-one drills. Hollis-Jefferson and Anderson especially kept the practice court audience’s attention as they engaged in friendly trash talk.

“[Today was] competitive,” Anderson said. “We had Hollis-Jefferson, Jerian Grant and I, three guards who were really competing. We wanted to win every time. It may not have been as physical [as a previous workout in Boston], but it was a bunch of guards who can really get after it. Hollis-Jefferson with his defensive ability, Jerian and I and our ability to score and defend, I think it was a phenomenal workout.”

Hollis-Jefferson and Anderson have been matched up repeatedly during their pre-draft workouts and have gotten to know each other well. While it’s good to see a familiar face when arriving at the next stop, it’s all about business when the ball goes up.

“At the end of the day this is our job, this is what we are trying to become great at,” Hollis-Jefferson said. “There are no friends on the basketball court at the end of the day. You can joke buddy-buddy, haha, after you get off the court but on it there’s definitely a rivalry.”

Known for his defensive ability, Hollis-Jefferson was asked whether he gets amped up to work out for teams with defensive-minded coaches. It didn’t take long for him to shoot down the notion of seeking out extra motivation going into a workout.

“I think if you get up because you have a great defensive coach or you get up because you are playing for a coach who likes scoring, then you are weak,” he said. “I think no matter what position you are in, you should be up. I feel like I’m up all the time.”
Full Article

I can't help but be impressed with Hollis-Jefferson and his attitude. Big body, good athleticsim, sees the floor and can make a pass, and finally, he plays defense.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts

RHJ's jumpshot must be atrocious or he would be a lottery pick, but that is something that can always be taught

·
Registered
2,997 Posts

Justin Anderson is my guy at 20

·
Registered
2,997 Posts

He's an upperclassman so I feel like he'll be able to contribute right away. He comes from that Virginia defense and generally performed well on that end. He has a great body and tested very well athletically.

If his jump shot continues to improve I think he checks all the boxes to be the 3 and D wing that we desperately need to pair with DeRozan and the value works at 20. Even if his upside is considered somewhat limited by some of these draft sites, I think the fit makes him worthy of the pick.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Toronto Raptors brought in Rashad Vaughn, Christian Wood, Norman Powell, Darion Atkins, Duje Dukan and Michale Kyser for a workout yesterday.

Vaughn looks nice from what I have seen, the kid can really score. He's could be a bigger version of Lou Will for us, but obviously, these 'score first' talents come with big bust potential (ala Austin Rivers).

Bruno, Bebe, DeAndre Daniels and Canadians Sim Bhullar/Myck Kabongo were also in attendance.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Also, knowing what the heck Masai is going to do is downright impossible. I'll never forget the 'what the fuck' moment when I saw we drafted Bruno.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts

Also, knowing what the heck Masai is going to do is downright impossible. I'll never forget the 'what the fuck' moment when I saw we drafted Bruno.
What's going on with Bruno? Hadn't heard much about him lately.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

What's going on with Bruno? Hadn't heard much about him lately.
We're still teaching him how to play basketball. In terms of improvements, nothing has been leaked.

The most news that I have is that he's grown a mini-fro, ala Shumpert.

He's part of our Summer League roster, so hopefully we get the chance to see him on the court.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts

So, since there doesn't seem to be a better thread for this - any indication on what your front office plans to do in light of the playoff flame-out? Are they looking to retool and take another stab at things in a soft Atlantic Division, or have their been indications they may try to turn some of their main pieces (read: Lowry and Derozan) into lottery picks and rebuild from scratch?

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

what about bobby portis
How is he defending the PnR?

I've heard he lacks top level athleticism and doesn't have a post game to speak of. I don't mind if our PF isn't an elite rim protector, I think JV has potential in that area, but we definitely need him to have the agility and IQ to defend the PnR.

I can't really find any in game action of him. From the workouts, he reminds me of Bosh.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

So, since there doesn't seem to be a better thread for this - any indication on what your front office plans to do in light of the playoff flame-out? Are they looking to retool and take another stab at things in a soft Atlantic Division, or have their been indications they may try to turn some of their main pieces (read: Lowry and Derozan) into lottery picks and rebuild from scratch?
No real indication either way. Changes will be made, but we're not sure how large they may be. Masai isn't scared to move one of the big three (DeMar, Lowry or JV), so I am keeping my eyes peeled and nose to the ground.

Masai has an uncanny ability to keep his cards close to his chest. It's always a mystery until it happens.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts