Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
re: 2015 Draft | Raps pick Delon Wright & Norman Powell

No real indication either way. Changes will be made, but we're not sure how large they may be. Masai isn't scared to move one of the big three (DeMar, Lowry or JV), so I am keeping my eyes peeled and nose to the ground.

Masai has an uncanny ability to keep his cards close to his chest. It's always a mystery until it happens.
Supposedly Sacramento's looking for a point guard and wants to unload their pick in the process. Would something built around Lowry for the 6th get it done for you? Would you move Derozan for a late lottery pick - say, something like Derozan, plus maybe the 20th pick, for the 10th pick from Miami and the Chalmers/Birdman contracts? Rebuild around picks 6, 10, and JV?

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #22

Supposedly Sacramento's looking for a point guard and wants to unload their pick in the process. Would something built around Lowry for the 6th get it done for you? Would you move Derozan for a late lottery pick - say, something like Derozan, plus maybe the 20th pick, for the 10th pick from Miami and the Chalmers/Birdman contracts? Rebuild around picks 6, 10, and JV?
I'd probably move Lowry for 6, then we can put Winslow next to DeRozan. I'd then try and move Vasquez for a more defensive minded PG.

Draft a PF with 20 and try and move the background pieces around to help improve our situation.

I don't think we need wholesale changes, I think we just need to make one larger move, then follow it with a few chess pieces.

I'd prefer to keep DeRozan, that kid is committed to improving.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts

I'd probably move Lowry for 6, then we can put Winslow next to DeRozan. I'd then try and move Vasquez for a more defensive minded PG.

Draft a PF with 20 and try and move the background pieces around to help improve our situation.

I don't think we need wholesale changes, I think we just need to make one larger move, then follow it with a few chess pieces.

I'd prefer to keep DeRozan, that kid is committed to improving.
So...say, Lowry for 6, draft Winslow, draft whichever of Portis/Lyles/Looney is still there at 20, sign Pat Beverly, and shuffle some supporting cast pieces around to better compliment the team's core?

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

So...say, Lowry for 6, draft Winslow, draft whichever of Portis/Lyles/Looney is still there at 20, sign Pat Beverly, and shuffle some supporting cast pieces around to better compliment the team's core?
Pat Beverley is the exact piece I was thinking of, that's spooky. GV has come out and said that Houston has expressed an interest in him, opening up the possibility of a sign and trade with the Rockets for Beverley.

So yes, you're right with my plan. What do you think? Does it make us better?

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts

Pat Beverley is the exact piece I was thinking of, that's spooky. GV has come out and said that Houston has expressed an interest in him, opening up the possibility of a sign and trade with the Rockets for Beverley.

So yes, you're right with my plan. What do you think? Does it make us better?
I don't know that Winslow, with his limited offensive skill-set, would be the right guy to cap off a Beverly/Derozan permiter grouping - Stanley Johnson might be a better fit there. I'd even go so far as to say that they should be pursuing that Heat deal for the 10th pick, take whichever swing-for-the-fences option among Hezonja/Mudiay/Porzingas is still there at 6, and hope one of Winslow/Johnson falls to 10.

I mean, Derozan's not old - he's turning 26 this summer - but I feel like if the Raptors are moving Lowry they should tear the whole thing down and start fresh.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

I don't know that Winslow, with his limited offensive skill-set, would be the right guy to cap off a Beverly/Derozan permiter grouping - Stanley Johnson might be a better fit there. I'd even go so far as to say that they should be pursuing that Heat deal for the 10th pick, take whichever swing-for-the-fences option among Hezonja/Mudiay/Porzingas is still there at 6, and hope one of Winslow/Johnson falls to 10.

I mean, Derozan's not old - he's turning 26 this summer - but I feel like if the Raptors are moving Lowry they should tear the whole thing down and start fresh.
I'm happy either way, we need a fresh impetus into the starting line up, that much is clear.

DeRozan must have more value that the 10th pick in the draft, perhaps if we were getting more I would be more interested in moving him.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

Stole this post.

It's a list of players that we've brought in for workouts for the 20th pick. Those in bold are first round picks around our draft area. Those in italics are players slated in the second round. The rest may or may not get drafted and could be a part of our summer league team.

Jerian Grant
Chavaughn Lewis
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
Justin Anderson

Maurice Walker
Dallin Bachynski
Norman Powell
Rashad Vaughn
Duje Dukan
Christian Wood
Michale Kyser (X2)

Darion Atkins
Delon Wright
Jabril Trawick
Kevon Looney
Cliff Alexander
Montrezl Harrell
Terry Rozier
R.J. Hunter

Phil Greene IV
J.P. Tokoto
Tekele Cotton
Jarekious Bradley
Richaun Holmes
Stefan Nastic
Dakari Johnson

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts

DeRozan must have more value that the 10th pick in the draft, perhaps if we were getting more I would be more interested in moving him.
Eh......I don't know. The 10th pick, in a draft where that's still pretty solidly in the second tier of players, a year ahead of where Toronto has their own pick and the lower of NY/Denver, isn't bad value. I don't think anyone around the league looks at him as a franchise piece.

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts

I don't think they will tear it down a year before hosting the ASG.

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts

I unfortunately do not have a pulse on a lot of the prospects. But from what I've read I wouldn't mind Looney.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

“If a player is being picked 20th – I hate to say it like this – there’s something they lack,” said Toronto general manager Masai Ujiri.
I'm not sure we stay at 20.

“I think we got complacent a little bit. I think I messed up a little bit. Not a little bit, a lot,” Ujiri said. “Maybe with the composition of the team. How we played, and the types of players we had playing around each other.”
Furthermore, I think we could be looking at an explosive offseason for the franchise, starting Thursday.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts

·
Premium Member
897 Posts

Only 2 and a half days to go. Where is everyone at with the 20th pick?

Yeah ... My problem is that I don't know or follow any of the prospects as they're coming up through the ranks and playing in different areas. So I can't add much here on this... Now with the Bruno and the other D league players coming into Mississauga I might have some more input next season!! I'm soooo stoked about that!!! :)

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #34

I just want to go on record and say that Mudiay is going to be the best player from this draft.

I'm going to say a small prayer that we can move Lowry for a Top 4 pick and select him.

WCS, Stanley Johnson, Winslow, RHJ, Jerian Grant, Kevon Looney and Kelly Oubre are others I would like to see in a Raptors jersey.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts

with what I've read I would be shocked and disappointed if we picked 20th. I'm expecting big things on draft night.

I don't think Lowry will be moved. If anyone's moving it'll be either DeRozan or Jonas. I just don't think Lowry has much value and moving him would do very little for us.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

I don't think Lowry will be moved. If anyone's moving it'll be either DeRozan or Jonas. I just don't think Lowry has much value and moving him would do very little for us.
I completely disagree.

Out of the three, Lowry would be the first to be moved. He was an All-Star last year, of course he has value.

This draft has me really excited, I won't be able to sleep this evening.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts

I just want to go on record and say that Mudiay is going to be the best player from this draft.

I'm going to say a small prayer that we can move Lowry for a Top 4 pick and select him.

WCS, Stanley Johnson, Winslow, RHJ, Jerian Grant, Kevon Looney and Kelly Oubre are others I would like to see in a Raptors jersey.
I actually agree with you, so I will take this opportunity to do so as well.

It would probably take Lowry+20 to get the pick though, if not more, but if Mudiay or Russell are there I would probably want it done.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

I actually agree with you, so I will take this opportunity to do so as well.

It would probably take Lowry+20 to get the pick though, if not more, but if Mudiay or Russell are there I would probably want it done.
If I wake up and we have Mudiay, I will go straight to the pub to celebrate.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts

If I wake up and we have Mudiay, I will go straight to the pub to celebrate.
I would go tonight, my friend. Lowry+20 feels like not enough for the third or fourth pick and adding say Ross feels like too much, but I would go fucking nuts if Masai figures something out. Oh to dream...

·
Premium Member
897 Posts

Sooo ... after trading Vasques today ....
http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptors/2015/06/25/raptors-trade-greivis-vasquez-to-bucks-for-pick-future-first-rounder.html

We picked Delon Wright ...PG 6'5, 190lbs

http://www.nba.com/draft/2015/prospects/delon_wright?ls=iref:nba:draft:tracker

Strengths
Stat sheet stuffer (racks up assists, rebounds, steals, blocks)
Shoots a high percentage from the field
Big-time competitor
Great teammate
Great size for his position

Weaknesses
Needs to continue working on his perimeter shot
Has to gain strength and bulk

NBA projection: Wright has been projected as a first-round pick, and those who know him best believe he’ll be a significant contributor in the NBA after he adds some strength and size and a bit more consistency to his perimeter shot.

Pretty interesting move. I Like IT !!!

21 - 40 of 52 Posts