Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
re: 2015 Draft | Raps pick Delon Wright & Norman Powell

I'm not going to pretend that I know much about this guy, but from what they say he sounds like a solid third guard that could play with either Lowry or DeRozan. Not bad value for the 20th pick though I'd have preferred Anderson as the wing to finally compliment DeRozan.

·
Registered
10,057 Posts

well, it looks like another first round exit for us next year if trading Vasquez is the biggest move we make this off season.

I don't know much about Wright but reading his profile his skillset does fill one of our needs, perimeter defense.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #43

It seems to be a running theme that the guy we are targeting, gets selected right before our pick.

I need to do more research on Wright, but at 6-5, he's a big PG.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Ok, so I've done some scouting. I'm actually impressed with both guys. Defense first, so Masai is giving Casey the players he's always coveted, and the players we clearly need.

I'm a big fan of pesky defenders and this kid looks like a nightmare to play against. Looks to be very smart with the ball in his hands and excellent in the PnR, great news for Valanciunas. Offensively, reminds me of Shaun Livingston with his craft.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Does he miss a shot in this workout? His body, footwork and shooting mechanics all look very good. He worked harder in this breakdown than most of the others I have watched. Biggest strength looks to be his physique and explosiveness, this kid can get up. Main area of concern, his dribble looks weak at this point.

Started all 36 games … led UCLA in scoring with 16.4 points per game, the sixth-highest average in the Pac-12 Conference … also recorded 4.7 rebounds, 2.1 assists and 1.8 steals in 34.6 minutes per game … captured first-team All-Pac-12 honors and was named an honorable mention selection on the All-Pac-12 Defensive Team for the second straight year
Link

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts
I think the draft went well. I didn't think much would happen. This draft didn't really have any elite talent I don't think. Some very good players, but not best at their respective positions talent. Trading Lowry or Derozan for any of the players in this draft would be lateral at best. Might as well keep the playoff streak going. Continue to cultivate a winning culture.

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts
anyone have an idea why we passed on bobby portis, a well sized pf at 6"11 240 some compared to monroe, would of given us the rebound and low post threat we need to replace amir and we could of made us a balanced team that would cut down the run n gun to a more half court where there would be some balance.
Vasq at times was just to streaky and a 9 mill to much, i rather pay 7-8 to lou over 3 years who knows maybe we will make a run at love or monroe

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Who knows .... With ears to the ground, Ujiri might have another PF in mind. Same play at several positions, release the current player (Vasquez, Amir, Ross) then sign/trade a better fitting piece. He's got time and cap space to work with so let's see ....

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
anyone have an idea why we passed on bobby portis, a well sized pf at 6"11 240 some compared to monroe, would of given us the rebound and low post threat we need to replace amir and we could of made us a balanced team that would cut down the run n gun to a more half court where there would be some balance.
Portis isn't a great defender, he also doesn't rebound on the defensive end at the rate he should. Those are huge holes for a big man, especially one that we need to play next to Valanciunas.

I like Wright. I really like Powell.

We're going to be able to play defense and have guys on the court that aren't afraid to attack the rim. Our team was full of weakness last year, we seem to be addressing that.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Sooo Ujiri and the Raps have decided to hold talks and target Aldrige. Now I don't expect we'll get him, nor do I like that we'll have to get rid of LouWills in a salary dump to get him (I'm ok with losing Amir.. He's been a fantastic ambassador for the city but we all need to move on) but what raises my eyebrows is the fact that we're swinging for the fences here!! Full tilt home run NOW!! You gotta like that and what Ujiri might also be planning when this doesn't work out ;-)

http://i.tsn.ca/story/?id=548234

·
KVBL Champion
7,108 Posts
Aldridge would be good in the sense that he is a scorer in the post that we lacked. However it might stunt Jonas' development and continue to not feed him.. But I like trying to win.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
If we can get Aldridge, unlikely as it might be, Jonas' development takes a total backseat. If Jonas can be a big body to plug the paint on defense he's doing his job. This team still can't shoot though, which will continue to be a big time detriment.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts