Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Robert Upshaw's draft stock is about to plunge significantly. It was reported he has a heart issue of some kind: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25206551/robert-upshaw-flagged-at-combine-for-heart-issue-has-suspended-workotus

Wonder if related to his past drug usage. He may still get picked up in the 2nd round, but I see no way get is a 1st rounder now.
its probably an enlarged heart or an abnormal arrhythmia over the last 10 years a handful of guys have been found to have irregularities of varying degrees since the league started mandatory testing in 2006 .

only isaiah austin who had marfan's is the only guy i think couldnt play.

jeff green was diagnosed a few years ago and needed surgery , the grizzlies gave up a 1st rounder for him this past season...it depends on the severity and the type, which isnt known yet.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
I think Hinrich is done and the Bulls should really be looking for a solid point gaurd who can play extended minutes when needed (when Rose is hurt). While the Bulls may look to the free agent market for this, if they decide to draft a point guard, my first choice would be Grant. Personally I am not a big Tyus Jones fan but think Rozier might have some value.

If the Bulls fill their point gaurd in free agency, the next biggest need is small forward. If they go this route, I would love to see Decker from Wisconsin fall to the Bulls. If not, they may look overseas and take a flyer on Osman.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
The Bulls could go so many directions in the draft. Ultimately I see them just taking best player available regardless of position whoever they feel that is. And if there just aren't any guys they like in their range, I see them trading the pick, possibly with Gibson to go for an upgrade at the 1, 2, or 3 positions.

If they keep the pick, I think there will be a good PG available for the taking. However it does seem a bit risky to rely on a rookie PG to lead the 2nd unit when you are trying to build a contender.

It also wouldn't surprise me if they select Justin Anderson for 1 reason alone, and that's for a guy who is physically built to defend a guy like Lebron James. Anderson is a great defender and built like a tank with long arms and quick feet, not only that he can hit a 3 ball, and he should be able to do all this as a role player as a rookie. Even though there are higher upside players like Rozier in our range, I think Anderson gives you the highest impact contribution on Day 1, at least when it comes to challenging Lebron in the playoffs which is how the front office should be thinking IMO.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Draft is < 48 hrs away!

Who will the Bulls pick?

Who should they pick?

From everything I've followed, it seems like Terry Rozier or Delon Wright are the 2 most likely guys we take; in terms of the Bulls liking them and them being available at #22 . There are a handful of guys I'd like better -- Jerian Grant, Kelly Oubre, and Bobby Portis to name a few -- who I'd love if they slip to #22 , but really don't think they will be available.

I am cool with most of these names for the Bulls. I have my doubts about Delon Wright's jumpshot but everyone insists the guy is a just a pure basketball player and you can't go wrong. Rozier has his flaws but he is such a great athlete who can defend and create, sort of a poor man's Wade/Westbrook type, he's sure to find a place in the league. Hollis-Jefferson is the one guy I might be pissed if we take b/c his offensive skill is just so bad. I've also cooled a bit on Justin Anderson. Wouldn't mind taking Rashad Vaughn at all, who has just a beautiful shooting stroke and high-level shot creating ability at only age 19. I've heard Hoiberg may really be pushing for Vaughn who would fit great in his system.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
It's draft day eve, so I'm officially declaring Terry Rozier as "my guy" in this draft. Obviously there are guys who are better but in terms of who I expect to be available at #22 , I think he's going to be best player available for us. I can't get past how he brings virtually the whole package: high level athleticism, shot creation, ballhandling/ball protection, 3-pt shooting, energy, defense. The main critique with him is his bad shot selection and inability to run the point, but I really think those issues are being overstated a bit b/c there frankly isn't alot of bad stuff to say about the guy. To whatever extent those are legit problems, I believe they are correctable in Hoiberg's system, and he is a coach who won't be afraid to let Rozier work through mistakes. (versus Thibodeau who would bench a guy like Rozier the minute he throws up a bad shot.) Bottom line, Rozier is a beast and will be a spark plug for the 2nd unit on Day 1, on both ends of the court.

Disclaimer: All bets are off depending on if/who slips down to #22 .

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
It's draft day eve, so I'm officially declaring Terry Rozier as "my guy" in this draft. Obviously there are guys who are better but in terms of who I expect to be available at #22 , I think he's going to be best player available for us. I can't get past how he brings virtually the whole package: high level athleticism, shot creation, ballhandling/ball protection, 3-pt shooting, energy, defense. The main critique with him is his bad shot selection and inability to run the point, but I really think those issues are being overstated a bit b/c there frankly isn't alot of bad stuff to say about the guy. To whatever extent those are legit problems, I believe they are correctable in Hoiberg's system, and he is a coach who won't be afraid to let Rozier work through mistakes. (versus Thibodeau who would bench a guy like Rozier the minute he throws up a bad shot.) Bottom line, Rozier is a beast and will be a spark plug for the 2nd unit on Day 1, on both ends of the court.

Disclaimer: All bets are off depending on if/who slips down to #22 .

I am not much of a college hoops fan. I mostly just tune in shortly before the tourney. So, I don't have a "guy," other than there seem to be some PGs with good size available, which sounds good to me. I like the idea of a backup 1 that can rotate to guard 2s when necessary.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
my guy ..I don't have one but I am pretty good at predicting bulls draft picks because they tend to draft within certain parameters (upperclassmen, at least 2nd round of ncaa's , multipositional skills, safe picks) .

my guess delon wright slightly over rj hunter who actually feels more like a garpax pick but they just drafted snell 2 years ago I cant see them trying to replace him so soon

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Wow, great pick with Bobby Portis...I thought he'd be long gone by #22 . He is a great all-around big man on both ends, young, lots of upside. That's a steal, he was supposed to go much earlier. Draft express says his slip wasn't due to medical red flags like some players.

As I expected, the Bulls just went best player available regardless of position. That being said, I love the extra frontcourt depth he gives, and paves the way to trade either Joakim or Taj. Long term I think he has the size/length to play alongside Mirotic with the new NBA of skilled/athletic frontcourts. He's the type of guy who will help prevent Tristan Thompson from dominating us again in the playoffs.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The interesting thing about Portis is, he plays alot like Joakim Noah...sort of like Noah with a jumpshot. He lacks Noah's ballhandling skill and not quite the on-court intelligence (though no slouch there by any stretch) but more than compensates with shooting range which Noah doesn't have. He plays with the same endless energy and hustle, and very quick feet laterally. Not explosive vertically, same as Noah. I am really shocked he fell this far, it's hard to find big men with this type of versatility and intelligence. Very few holes in his game.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
i'm in agreement this was a great pick , i didnt expect portis to be available ,

he is super productive(30 PER, 5th out of guys drafted ) , can score, rebound , defend and shoot , my only real concern is getting minutes to develop in a crowded frontcourt .

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
I like the pick as well. Obviously, the Bulls are going to have to reshuffle the front court roster to make room if they plan to give him any meaningful burn this season. But, it's a good future-proofing move given that 3 of the 4 frontcourt guys are on the wrong side of 30.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Bobby Portis is a good value pick, I just don't think hes ready to contribute next season. Hes extremely raw and limited physically and athletically. His motor is the only NBA ready skill present.

Does remind me a lot of Noah in terms of his ability to multitask defensively and use his lateral quickness to switch on P&R. While there are a lot of similarities to Noah, Portis is shorter, thinner and less athletic than Noah was at the same age.

My opinion is he can develop into a decent role player, but I don't ever envision him being a starter. He needs several seasons of weight training, post offensive training, ball handling and post defensive training.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Just to tack on a bit.

I think this pick definitely means the Bulls will try to move Noah, Taj, Gasol or Mirotic. You don't draft a 5th big, it just doesn't make sense. I also don't see any scenario where playing Portis and Noah together on the court at the same time isn't considered playing 3 on 5 basketball offensively.

One scenario I do like, is the idea of Portis and Demarcus Cousins on the court at the same time. That is a long shot though.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Portis is 1 inch shorter than Noah, but longer wingspan and higher standing reach. Portis is actually thicker/stronger than Noah was when he was drafted. Noah had a better vertical jump at the combine. Overall I consider it a wash, for all intents and purposes I think they will play at the same size.

I do think he projects as a starter based on his talent and overall abilities, but agree that won't/shouldn't happen for 2-3 years, and that assumes he is a worker who will improve and stay healthy. But that is OK, I think we end up keeping Gasol, Mirotic, and one of Gibson/Noah. When Gasol retires, Portis is ready to step into his spot. In today's NBA I see Portis becoming a center 2-3 years from now and will start alongside Niko Mirotic. That's the brand of ball Hoiberg wants to play -- 5 guys on the court who can all shoot, pass, drive and keep the floor open -- and the whole NBA is going to this style. Besides, Portis is a tough guy, strong already at age 20, and can handle full-time center duties by the time he's 23/24 years old, IMO.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
Bobby Portis is a good value pick, I just don't think hes ready to contribute next season. Hes extremely raw and limited physically and athletically. His motor is the only NBA ready skill present.

Does remind me a lot of Noah in terms of his ability to multitask defensively and use his lateral quickness to switch on P&R. While there are a lot of similarities to Noah, Portis is shorter, thinner and less athletic than Noah was at the same age.

My opinion is he can develop into a decent role player, but I don't ever envision him being a starter. He needs several seasons of weight training, post offensive training, ball handling and post defensive training.
physically portis is shorter by an inch and less athletic but in basketball terms he is a somewhat bigger player .

noah at the draft combine weighed 223 had a standing reach of 8'10 1/2

portis 246 with a standing reach of 9'0 1/2and is 2 years younger than noah since joakim was 22 when he was drafted

people forget how scrawny noah was when the bulls picked him up, if he winds up playing with the same difference making zeal as noah the bulls got the steal of the draft because he can shoot 3's too, he's not the run/jump guy noah was, but he is bigger and more skilled

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
If you want a player comparison for Portis, I'm thinking P.J. Brown. If you remember what Brown was like back in his heyday, he was the same type of below the rim player who was just solid at pretty much everything. He was a good shooter, smart player, tough and even versatile defender, good though not elite rebounder, and all at the same 6'11, 240 lb range who played alot of PF and occasional C. Similar to P.J. Brown, I don't see Portis becoming some elite all-star scorer, but certainly could be a solid starter or premium-level 3rd big backing up the PF/C positions.

The nice thing about Portis is, I think he has a very high floor. That is, even though he doesn't really have elite star potential (not that many guys selected #22 in a draft do), his high motor + skill level + defensive ability makes it more likely than not that he contributes as a career level rotation player.

·
Banned
6,174 Posts
I think the bulls ride out gibsons contract or trade him after this year when he has one more year left. Portis needs a couple years to be effective anyways. Mirotic can play some 3 but is too slow on d.

The bulls are going to resign jimmy and fill in the rest with vet minimums. Where is our mid level exception at.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Yeah Portis is bigger than he looks, weight wise that is.

I like everything that he said during his press conference, really seems like a kid who would have thrived under Thibs. I just don't know what his role is going to be in the NBA, I see a lot of limitations in his game and he lacks a true position, but that motor can get you far in the NBA. Hes no Tony Snell in that department, so I think he has a chance to make a niche for himself on this team. But trades will have to be made.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
If you want a player comparison for Portis, I'm thinking P.J. Brown. If you remember what Brown was like back in his heyday, he was the same type of below the rim player who was just solid at pretty much everything. He was a good shooter, smart player, tough and even versatile defender, good though not elite rebounder, and all at the same 6'11, 240 lb range who played alot of PF and occasional C. Similar to P.J. Brown, I don't see Portis becoming some elite all-star scorer, but certainly could be a solid starter or premium-level 3rd big backing up the PF/C positions.

The nice thing about Portis is, I think he has a very high floor. That is, even though he doesn't really have elite star potential (not that many guys selected #22 in a draft do), his high motor + skill level + defensive ability makes it more likely than not that he contributes as a career level rotation player.
its worth noting portis is listed at 246 and he is 20 years old , chances are when he fills out a bit he will wind up in the 260-270 range , making more suited to be a center , with his shooting and motor he'll be more valuable there .

21 - 40 of 41 Posts