Registered
45,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #121

·
Registered
45,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Heat’s final roster spot likely to come down to choosing one true point guard

The Miami Heat will wrap up the preseason this week with three games in four nights beginning Tuesday at home against the Orlando Magic and ending Friday against the Philadelphia 76ers at AmericanAirlines Arena.

Then comes the unpleasant part for coach Erik Spoelstra: Whittling the roster from 20 down to 15.

“I’m not looking forward to this weekend,” Spoelstra said Monday.

The only real decision for the Heat — barring a trade or the unexpected release of Chris Bosh — will be deciding whether to keep the steady hand of veteran point guard Beno Udrih or continue to turn the page in the franchise’s youth movement and keep 23-year-old defensive dynamo Briante Weber.

“Well, they’re two totally different players,” Spoelstra replied Monday when asked how the competition was going between Weber and Udrih, the only true backup point guards on the roster. “Bri is dynamic defensively. There’s so many unpredictable things that are disruptive, it’s uncanny. Offensively, he brings a lot of energy, and he’s developing the rest of his game.

“Beno is a 13-year vet that’s played on championship level teams. He doesn’t get sick at sea. He can get you organized and is a very steady, high-IQ player. So, two totally different type of guys.”
Wish we could keep both. Love Beno and everything he did for us last season, but for this team, i'd keep the young prospect.

·
2012 & 2013 NBA Champions
26,553 Posts
We made the mistake of cutting Patrick Beverley back in 2010, would hate to make that same mistake now. Keep Briante and hope he can develop into a similar pest.

Mad respect to Beno though.

·
26,553 Posts
I feel like we'd be giving up on Dragic really early doing a deal like that. He's gonna have a good year with the ball in his hands.

I'd want WCS included in any deal with the Kings also.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
The best we looked last year was when Bosh went down for the season and Wade was out and Dragic finally had the ball in his hands. This rumor perplexes me because I think letting Dragic run a fast paced offense is the best move for this team.

Rudy Gay is terrible. If we're gonna dump salaries do it at the trade deadline.

·
Tangible
14,515 Posts
Good to have you back Adam.

I think this team will do better than expected also, but feel like we kinda need another lotto pick considering the 2 picks owed to PHX.

If Goran or Hassan goes down, we'll be in a world of pain. Otherwise, feel we will overachieve.
I read your blog, good writeup! I'm expecting more from Miami this season and I think we will surprise people. Can't believe the season is already a week away, thank god.

·
26,553 Posts
Thanks man, I appreciate you taking the time!

If you're interested in joining our Facebook page, let me know.

This team is running and gunning. Love the pace we're playing at. We actually may surprise some people this year, assuming we stay healthy.

·
Registered
45,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Here is the Miami Herald's take on this:
• The Heat has discussed a trade that would send Goran Dragic to Sacramento for forward Rudy Gay and point guard Darren Collison, according to Michael Scotto of Sheridanhoops.com.

But the indication that both colleague Manny Navarro and I received this afternoon is that there’s nothing happening with that rumored deal at this time.

I’m also told that the Heat is not trying to trade Dragic at this time and wants to see him play with this team, though it does like Gay as a complementary player.

Unless something very appealing surfaces, Pat Riley wants to get a sense of what kind of team he has in the next month or two before he considers moving major pieces. Riley has said he expects teams to call him in December offering contracts of players that those teams regret signing.

If the Heat changed its mind and gave up Dragic in that Sacramento scenario, that deal would give Miami $60 million in cap space next summer if Chris Bosh is removed from Miami’s cap (as expected) and Gay doesn’t exercise a $14.2 million player option for 2017-18.

We’re told Gay would love to play in Miami and the Heat will consider him as a secondary option in free agency next summer.

• More motivation for Hassan Whiteside: In NBA.com’s annual poll of general managers, Whiteside didn’t get a single vote in the best center category, with DeAndre Jordan, DeMarcus Cousins, Anthony Davis, Marc Gasol, Karl Anthony-Towns and Draymond Green all getting votes.

Whiteside got only one vote for best interior defender (Jordan was first) and was sixth in “best defensive player” category (Kawhi Leonard was first, followed by LeBron James, Avery Bradley, Green and Jordan).

• The Heat remains very much undecided about the best option at starting power forward between Luke Babbitt (the best three-point shooter on the roster) and Derrick Williams (more well-rounded game and held players he guarded to 42.5 percent shooting last season, compared with 48.1 percent for Babbitt).
Waiting to see how this team fits is the best way to go about this.

121 - 130 of 130 Posts