Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Administrator
67,767 Posts

·
Administrator
67,767 Posts
I like the run differential so far. Currently 43 runs better than the second best differential in baseball. Hot start despite Addison Russell, Anthony Rizzo, and Jason Heyward not really finding their groove yet. Starting pitching is playing a little better than their actual ability level at this point (particularly Hammel). I fully expect a little "coming down to earth" by June, but it's still tough not to get excited about the camaraderie on this squad. These guys love to play with each other.

·
Super Moderator
17,419 Posts
Cubs having a hell of a season. I don't admit it too much, but they're my second or third favorite team in the league, first being the Brewers of course. :D

Speaking of the Brewers, I was at the game where they gave the Marlins a 14-5 whooping. I happened to get on a TV for one of the home runs (though it is a bit distorted).

Attachments

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Yankees need to shop one of their 3 closers to get younger and better. Watching this team is just sad at times

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Bryce Harper Stats Line Today - 0-0 1RS 6BB 1HBP

Nationals need to get someone to hit behind him. Offer one of their many pitching prospects for Braun or Gonzalez

·
Restore the Roar
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I feel like a genius at the quarter pole. I was so positive on Castellanos these past few years, considering the signs of improvement and youth, that one buddy of mine that owned a Castellanos rookie card he'd gotten signed a year before - he gave it to me just because he didn't want it that much.

Right now I'm just holding out hope he keeps rampaging like this all season long. One thing that never went away - no matter what he was hitting in terms of batting average the past few years the words "Future batting champ" were repeated by scouts. His professional approach makes me believe that this year at 24 he can throw up a .300BA/30HR/100RBI season. He's well above pace for that right now - WELL above it - but that right there would still be huge for a guy his age. He's no Harper or Trout but he's going to develop into a hell of a hitter.

Plus he's surrounded by Miguel Cabrera, Victor Martinez, and JD Martinez - three of the most intentional and professional hitters on the planet.

I think in about 4-5 years he winds up the team's full time first baseman, if he doesn't leave in free agency. Cabrera will wind up DHing a whole lot more after Victor's contract is up and you know he'll eventually wind up there full time as Detroit pushes to keep him healthy and productive through the end of his monster contract.

·
Restore the Roar
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
By the way... just to illustrate how stupid hot Tigers hitters have been against mostly the league's dregs lately... Cameron Maybin is exhibit A B C...

In his first 9 games of the season the guy is hitting in the .540s with an OPS in the 1.210s. Hilarious. One homer. No other extra base hits. Just knocking the ball everywhere nobody is.

·
Restore the Roar
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
By the way... Miggy is hitting in the .370s in May. On the season he has twice as many opposite field homeruns as anyone in baseball. The health is going to always be in the back of your mind - but at the moment he's crushing it oppo like he was when he was winning the triple crown.

(No - I don't think he'll do it again - but he could win any one of those three or two of the three and I wouldn't bat an eye. He looks that good.)

Tigers are smacking these teams around. Now if they can beat some contenders, they can get themselves in the playoffs.

·
Restore the Roar
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Mike Matheny may keep his job. That's one of the reasons I don't post much in here.
Yeah, this has saved Ausmus' job. The Tigers play hard for Ausmus - keeps him employed.

·
Administrator
67,767 Posts
Arrieta's WHIP is 0.9 right now. Zero point freaking 9!

·
Administrator
67,767 Posts
And he's third in MLB at the moment. Kershaw's is the unholy one, he's allowing fewer than six baserunners per nine innings.
Completely absurd.

·
Restore the Roar
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Rose had over 400 hits in the minor leagues.
Cobb had over 200 hits in the minor leagues.

I'm sorry - but if you're going to call Ichiro Suzuki the all time professional hits leader you're calling it wrong. Nippon is WAY beyond the level that Pete Rose attributed to it, he's an asshole. But in the 1990s? Was it really that much stronger than AAA ball? If you're including his Nippon hits, you've gotta include the rest of Rose's and Cobb's professional hits.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts