Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Detroit is 40-29 against 28 of their opponents this year... and 0-9 against one of them. The Indians are whaling on the Tigers this season. If the Tigers are 5-4 against the Indians instead, more in line with their record against the rest of baseball, they'd be in first place. Obviously that's all wishful thinking - and clearly the Indians deserve to be in first for pounding us. But talk about frustrating.

·
Premium Member
100,006 Posts
Detroit is 40-29 against 28 of their opponents this year... and 0-9 against one of them. The Indians are whaling on the Tigers this season. If the Tigers are 5-4 against the Indians instead, more in line with their record against the rest of baseball, they'd be in first place. Obviously that's all wishful thinking - and clearly the Indians deserve to be in first for pounding us. But talk about frustrating.
As frustrating as getting 30 hits in a 2 game series and losing both games?

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
As frustrating as getting 30 hits in a 2 game series and losing both games?
0-9 is a whole lot more frustrating than losing two. During the mid summer drag of games it takes 2 games lost by back to back grand slams to overcome a 3 run deficit for an 0-2 set of games worth an 0-9 set in the frustration world. The frustration of those two games only overtakes the 0-9 if the 0-2 winds up costing a playoff spot and the 0-9 does not.

·
Premium Member
100,006 Posts
0-9 is a whole lot more frustrating than losing two. During the mid summer drag of games it takes 2 games lost by back to back grand slams to overcome a 3 run deficit for an 0-2 set of games worth an 0-9 set in the frustration world. The frustration of those two games only overtakes the 0-9 if the 0-2 winds up costing a playoff spot and the 0-9 does not.
I hear ya, just messing around. I've been nothing but pleasantly surprised with the Marlins all year other than Stanton.

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I hear ya, just messing around. I've been nothing but pleasantly surprised with the Marlins all year other than Stanton.
The way they've played along with Stanton playing horrible gives them a huge 'midseason acquisition' now that he's started to wake up.

·
Restore the Roar
7,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Would not be shocked by a Victor Martinez steroid headline. I won't accuse him, but he's been a fantastic hitter his entire career and all of a sudden he's a 30+ homer guy as he turns 35? Just the weirdness of the numbers. I hope not, it'd taint this era of Tigers baseball... but it wouldn't surprise me.

·
Premium Member
100,006 Posts
Would not be shocked by a Victor Martinez steroid headline. I won't accuse him, but he's been a fantastic hitter his entire career and all of a sudden he's a 30+ homer guy as he turns 35? Just the weirdness of the numbers. I hope not, it'd taint this era of Tigers baseball... but it wouldn't surprise me.
It's not that crazy. He's been a 20-25 HR and 30-40 2B guy pretty much his entire career. He's a great hitter, always has been and he's knocked a few of those doubles over the wall this year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Brad Ausmus cost Detroit a game tonight...again. I understand that a manager can't make players play better..but he sure as hell can put a team in a better position to win that this guy does...damn.

·
Registered
11 Posts

For some reason Ian Kinsler worries me more than VMart does...do I have any reason for this? No...just a feeling.

·
Administrator
26,979 Posts
With Rick Porcello a legitimate Cy Young contender this year, and primed to spend his prime on an offensive powerhouse, Chris Woj's prediction is looking better every day...

Chris Woj said:
So lets chew on this idea... Lets say Rick Porcello continues to make his 30 starts per season every year, doesn't get himself hurt... Am I the only one that sees a potential 300 game winner? In an era where 300 game winners are rare, if Porcello is never the second best starter on his own team - lets say he spends his entire prime in Detroit and is behind Max/Justin/Ani this year, and maybe he's the three behind Justin/Ani for the next three...

Considering what his peripherals look like, maybe he holds an ERA around 3.00 for the next 5-8 years....

I get that this is pure conjecture, I get the outrageous idea of asking if a guy with less than 70 wins can win 300... But he's also very young, plays for a winning team, makes all his starts every year, and is good enough to spend 20 years winning about 15 games. He's just the sort of guy you could one day look at and set up the argument "Is he the worst 300 game winner in baseball history?" - mind you it'd be nothing to sneeze at, he'd still have had to have been a fine ballplayer for a long time... but I think he's got a shot.

I think I just convinced myself. C'mon Rick Porcello! You can do it! Be the worst 300 game winner in baseball history!
But I will say that a Cy Young or two will take him out of the running for worst 300 game winner.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Porcello will probably still need to pitch at least 15 more years to hit 300 wins. Still seems like a somewhat remote possibility.

·
Administrator
26,979 Posts
Porcello will probably still need to pitch at least 15 more years to hit 300 wins. Still seems like a somewhat remote possibility.
I think that, barring injury, he'll be at the 165-170 win mark by the end of his age 30 season. After that he just needs to sign with a contender and then have a bunch of traditional Rick Porcello years (i.e. 13-15 wins per season) and he'll do it by 40.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts