Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This series is going to be back and forth. There isn't much between us, but I like the fact they're not a great 3pt shooting team, given our defensive woes against Indiana.

Dragic shouldn't give Lowry the same problems Hill did, that said, Lowry offense went missing some time ago, so who knows if he can produce.

Hopefully we see some more small ball line up with DMC playing the 4.

First game tonight, it's going to be huge, let's hope our opener woes don't follow us.

What's everyone thinking? I have the Raps in 7.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
I'd love to see the Raps in 7 but I'm unconvinced either way. Miami has been hot in the second half of the season but is it enough to up against the Raps firing on all fronts? I don't think so.... but that means we have to play to potential and that's a 50/50 bet. Looking forward to seeing JV & Biyombo up against Whiteside. DeRozan against weaker defenders with more confidence. Lowry (even hurt, he knows what to do). Joseph, Powell, Carroll, Patterson (keeping it up) ..... Ross is the only non producer at this point but luckily we're not depending on him .... and of course seeing Bosh on the sidelines.... Thank God!!

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
We've outplayed them on the first qtr but we need to be hitting our shots.
Defense is wonderfully stifling and I'm not seeing them outclass us at any position.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
It seems to me like this is a "fun" game ... not really controlling the ball or playing with too much strategy or intent. Sloppy ... that's the word for it. I think they're both just a bit too relaxed here.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Good game overall. It'll be a great series as both teams have more to give and the Raps a bit more as they've missed far too many looks.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As suspected, this will go back and forth.

Lowry. Honestly, Lowry? DeFumble strikes again.

Our defense for the most part was very good, it's only Wade hitting the midrange PnR over JV that is hurting us, but if JV hedges, then it's a certain lob for Whiteside. I'm not sure what we can really do against that, teams have been trying to stop Wade doing it for years. Offensively, we're honestly atrocious without Lowry hitting anything.

Valanciunas continues his stellar Playoff performances, we need this from everybody. Perhaps this offseason will be the time to shake up the deck and focus on the winners.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Yeah I think this one is def. going to go back and forth. But I actually see the Raps coming out on top in the end. We played a horrible game but we were still somehow in it until the last two minutes of the 4th quarter (the miracle chuck and OT don't really count cause we shoulda lost).

But considering all the matchups Jonas vs. Whiteside .... Jonas!

Wade+Dragic vs. Lowry+Demar .... def. Wade+Dragic .. no contest, but at 50 points we've already seen the best of them and we haven't even touched on what we can do.
Then throw in the rest Johnson, Richardson, Deng vs. Carroll, Joseph, Powell and we still have Patterson, Ross and Biyombo to bring up the rear and I really think we're deeper.

Raps in 7 !!! (We'll die with Cleveland .. but at least we will make it that far)

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
All the drama you could possibly want in a game :)
Ohhh and going to South Beach tied is good too !!!

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Casey with the genius move of bringing in James Johnson. Completely messed up the rhythm of iso-Joe as he doesn't score another basket the rest of the game.
Cory Joseph did an impressive job of bodying iso-Joe in OT.

This game was a must win, and we did it. I think we definitely take 1 off them in Miami and come back to Toronto tied up for a huge game 5.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Such a dramatic game.
Great effort by the Raps, especialy on defense.

JV's the man of the match. He clawed the Raps back into it, pretty much on his own until Lowry has awoken for a couple of possesions down the stretch, also helped by good screens from JV.

He got the Raps up by two after he tipped-in a DeRozan FT miss while Whiteside and Deng grabbing him, and it just shows that he wanted it more. For me it was one of the most impressive plays in this game.

It was an exciting game and really worth getting up from bed in 4:30 AM to watch.

Although I think that if the Raps continue to play at the same level it will be Miami in the ECF after six games.

The Raps keep banging their head on the wall with isolations on DeRozan and Lowry, while other players are more reliable during the playoffs. Joseph, JV and Carroll are just playing better than them, and should be more time on the court and get more touches. Lowry and DeRozan should get less minutes and more catch and shoot opportunities, hopefully they'll be more efficient that way.

No way the Raps are going to win this series with the two of them shooting more than 20 shots each per game, while forcing a lot of them.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Such a dramatic game.
Great effort by the Raps, especialy on defense.

JV's the man of the match.....

The Raps keep banging their head on the wall with isolations on DeRozan and Lowry, while other players are more reliable during the playoffs. Joseph, JV and Carroll are just playing better than them, and should be more time on the court and get more touches. Lowry and DeRozan should get less minutes and more catch and shoot opportunities, hopefully they'll be more efficient that way.

No way the Raps are going to win this series with the two of them shooting more than 20 shots each per game, while forcing a lot of them.
Hey Spammer ..... Yeah good call on a lot of these points. Funny how Indiana was better able to handle JV, but couldn't contain Biyombo on the glass ... They were also better on defense with DeRozan.

Miami on the other hand hasn't been able to really stop DeRozan and as you've noticed they have no answer for JV... and with Lowry starting to get his confidence back (yeah one game isn't enough) but it's enough to start it. Now throw in Ross (who was also not producing against Indiana) and I think Miami is in for a real tough fight.

If the Raps get production from these guys who were only 50% effective against Indiana and the others perform as they already have (Joseph, Carroll, Powell, even Patterson etc..) then they'll get the ball movement you're not seeing yet and I'm seeing Raps in 6 or 7.

Ohh yeah .. gotta say I love James Johnson on Joe Johnson ... total shutdown!!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts