Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

181 - 200 of 454 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

congrats to Davidson, will be a solid addition

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

It seems GMU and Davidson were added to guard against the departures of SLU and UD in advance. If Siena was to be considered, I'd guess it would be if UMass ever pursued football in the AAC. Something tells me Charleston will emerge, though. From what I've repeatedly heard, Davidson really wanted them and after a long silent spell following Goodman's initial report... poof! The Wildcats are in. Maybe the A10 agreed to sweeten the pot for them?
A10BBall has said the A10 wants 14 teams so that's what I'm hanging my hat on.

Siena will right the ship with Patsos and then we'll have to hope for the A10's call.

·
Registered
5,948 Posts

A10BBall has said the A10 wants 14 teams so that's what I'm hanging my hat on.

Siena will right the ship with Patsos and then we'll have to hope for the A10's call.
I've heard from folks within another A10 program (not SBU) that this isn't necessarily the case. It could be in the end, but he's never mentioned Siena much to me. It's always Charleston. Just today, the text read, "Charleston could be next." Maybe he's totally wrong, but he hasn't been so far.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts

As a URI fan, I would rather have seen a northeastern team such as Siena. All A-10 expansion since 1995 has been either westward or southern. The western flank may soon be gone.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts

I've heard from folks within another A10 program (not SBU) that this isn't necessarily the case. It could be in the end, but he's never mentioned Siena much to me. It's always Charleston. Just today, the text read, "Charleston could be next." Maybe he's totally wrong, but he hasn't been so far.
I'm sure the Atlantic 10 has, for lack of a better phrase, a depth chart.

We added VCU and Butler, and "George Mason could be next"
We added Mason and Davidson, and "Charleston could be next"

·
Registered
880 Posts

As a URI fan, I would rather have seen a northeastern team such as Siena. All A-10 expansion since 1995 has been either westward or southern. The western flank may soon be gone.
I agree that Siena works better for the some of the northern schools, and all things considered I preferred them. But I don't make these decisions, so go Davidson.

Plus if Siena was in then SBU might have to focus on them as a rival and abandon our blossoming rivalry with UD.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Well when St. Louis and Dayton go - Siena and Charleston could be the next two to 14 teams total. I don't see Iona and Fairfield fitting in.

A10BBall - help us out here please?

·
Registered
5,948 Posts

I think 14 over the long haul would be a mistake. It's pretty safe to assume SLU, UD, and UMass will eventually leave. Adding one school would put the league at 12. Are there an additional TWO schools that make sense beyond that? It doesn't seem that way...

·
Registered
876 Posts

I think 14 over the long haul would be a mistake. It's pretty safe to assume SLU, UD, and UMass will eventually leave. Adding one school would put the league at 12. Are there an additional TWO schools that make sense beyond that? It doesn't seem that way...
Agree. Close the barn door for a while ... even if SLU and Dayton leave. If Umass leaves, find a replacement.

I just don't see Umass leaving at this point.

I don't know what issues it would cause for the Non-Revenue sports, but a 12 school league seems like it would be just fine.

·
Registered
876 Posts

A 12 team league where Richmond would play VCU, Davidson, GMU, GW and one of the Philadelphia schools twice ... and Umass, Rhody, Fordham, Duquesne, Bona and the other Philly school once would be both a challenging and marketable schedule.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts

A 12 team league where Richmond would play VCU, Davidson, GMU, GW and one of the Philadelphia schools twice ... and Umass, Rhody, Fordham, Duquesne, Bona and the other Philly school once would be both a challenging and marketable schedule.
well the consolation prize for Richmond looks way better than would be the case if the Spiders move to NBE and UD stays in A10. More on the subject on the C7 thread. Davidson home looks like a great place to hoop it up.

·
Registered
727 Posts

Hello all: Sorry for the delay. Goodness such a little argument we have going off.

Ok.. so Davidson is here. What is next?

The conference will not stay at 12. It will go to 14 for a couple reasons but that will be for later discussions.

Siena will be the next school heading over.

COC could be after that. The conference recognizes the obvious is probably here. Now when Siena gets the invite is the question. The Presidents and their formula likes Siena greatly. In this scenario, they will probably offer the invites once Richmond/Dayton (I am on record saying that Dayton goes) and STL give the A-10 leadership a heads up. It should be mentioned that A-10 leadership and the schools have a very open relationship and have been encouraged to just give the conference a heads up if something is going on. No hard feelings, business is business, no one is going to get blackballed. Some conferences should learn how to follow suit i.e. CAA..

·
Registered
876 Posts

The conference will not stay at 12. It will go to 14 for a couple reasons but that will be for later discussions..
It's summer time and there isn't too much going on, so lets just have the discussion now.

From a basketball standpoint, I don't see any benefit in adding schools just to get to 14. Assuming SLU and Dayton leave, I like the 12 schools we have.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
876 Posts

Now give me Charleston.
Aside from the potential of a late February golf trip to South Carolina (which may be reason enough, itself), why?

Davidson is a geographic outlier as a 4+ hour drive from Richmond. Charleston doubles that distance and doesn't have an airport hub.

·
Registered
62 Posts

Congratulations Davidson. Like many of your fans I have my doubts, but I do not think there is any way you could have passed on this opportunity. Good luck.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Aside from the potential of a late February golf trip to South Carolina (which may be reason enough, itself), why?

Davidson is a geographic outlier as a 4+ hour drive from Richmond. Charleston doubles that distance and doesn't have an airport hub.
That's pretty much the only reason I want them. They are making a push though in their athletics and they will be a good team. I think consistently near the top 100.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

A couple years ago we'd be crying ourselves to sleep if we expanded with the likes of Davidson. But that's all that's left anymore. There are no more athletic departments strong enough to improve the A10. Every expansion move is merely to maintain what we already have or perform damage control.

There are no more Butlers and VCUs. We are now pulling teams from the bottom 10 conferences in the country. Its a humbling circumstance. Davidson really doesnt offer much. Nothing beyond mens hoops. Poor market. Low national profile.

Not discounting their mens hoops successes, but I bet 95% of the basketball public doesn't even know what state Davidson is in.

All this said, you take what you can get. Id have probably pulled the trigger too. But it is what it is.

·
Registered
8,794 Posts

A couple years ago we'd be crying ourselves to sleep if we expanded with the likes of Davidson. But that's all that's left anymore. There are no more athletic departments strong enough to improve the A10. Every expansion move is merely to maintain what we already have or perform damage control.

There are no more Butlers and VCUs. We are now pulling teams from the bottom 10 conferences in the country. Its a humbling circumstance. Davidson really doesnt offer much. Nothing beyond mens hoops. Poor market. Low national profile.

Not discounting their mens hoops successes, but I bet 95% of the basketball public doesn't even know what state Davidson is in.

All this said, you take what you can get. Id have probably pulled the trigger too. But it is what it is.
The A-10 is all about men's hoops.........which means that Davidson is a good add.

181 - 200 of 454 Posts