Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

201 - 220 of 454 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Re: A10 close to adding Davidson (for 2014)

Anyone worried about how Davidson fares post-McKillop? Could they become Fordham-esque with the wrong hire when he retires?
Yes, but all of us are vulnerable to a bad hire. UMass's legendary coach retired shortly after we joined this conference, and we promptly Fordham-ed it up. You can try to protect yourself from falling too far by building good facilities and trying to build a brand, but ultimately a handful of people determine the fate of the basketball program.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

It's summer time and there isn't too much going on, so lets just have the discussion now.

From a basketball standpoint, I don't see any benefit in adding schools just to get to 14. Assuming SLU and Dayton leave, I like the 12 schools we have.

What am I missing?
Wholeheartedly agree, let's discuss this now.

This Katz piece might provide some reasons why.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9251315/atlantic-10-add-davidson-wildcats-2014-15-source-says

Fordham paired with Davidson? Add Siena and Charleston and it's obvious what happens to that pairing. Hint, they won't just pair Siena with Charleston.

I am not sure why they want to go to an 18 game schedule. I think it might have made more sense when we had numerous programs in or near the top 25, but that number has gone down.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts

It would seem that McGlade's mission to remake the A-10 as a southern based conference is proceeding on course. She moved the league HQ to the VA tidewater area and has now extended invites to VCU, GMU, and DC. I would imagine the tourney will soon follow.

·
Registered
133 Posts

It would seem that McGlade's mission to remake the A-10 as a southern based conference is proceeding on course. She moved the league HQ to the VA tidewater area and has now extended invites to VCU, GMU, and DC. I would imagine the tourney will soon follow.

I would think the logical move would be to put the tournament at the Verizon Center in DC. Any objections to the thought?

·
Registered
3,622 Posts

I would think the logical move would be to put the tournament at the Verizon Center in DC. Any objections to the thought?
My comment about moving the tourney south was sarcastic. Given the recent moves by the league, I would hope the league in some way throws a bone to the northern schools.

·
Super Moderator
17,902 Posts

It sure seems that way. The foray into the Midwest looks to be over.

·
Registered
876 Posts

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9251315/atlantic-10-add-davidson-wildcats-2014-15-source-says

Fordham paired with Davidson? Add Siena and Charleston and it's obvious what happens to that pairing. Hint, they won't just pair Siena with Charleston.
I hear what you are saying but why are 'partners' needed at 12 teams? Aren't we going to play 5-6 teams twice?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

I hear what you are saying but why are 'partners' needed at 12 teams? Aren't we going to play 5-6 teams twice?
Good point. I too would prefer to stick at 12.

It just seems to me that anytime McGlade is quoted, she talks about 14 teams.

·
Registered
161 Posts

I am not sure why they want to go to an 18 game schedule. I think it might have made more sense when we had numerous programs in or near the top 25, but that number has gone down.
The discussion regarding an 18 game schedule is almost certainly related to managing conference rpi effectively. They are likely trying to limit the number of times each season that A10 teams have to play road OOC games against sub 100, and especially sub 150, rpi teams. With the top 10 confrences generally moving to 18 game conference schedules there will be fewer opportunites for A10 teams to schedule rpi enhancing OOC games. Most A10 teams can't afford to buy large numbers of home OOC games which means going on the road and risking losing games against teams that will badly hurt the conference rpi in the event of a loss. The power conference teams don't have to take that risk since they just buy home OOC wins and it's in the A10's interest to do what they can to mitigate that risk since they don't have the option of buying their way out of it. The A10 will be better off playing two additional games against each other than losing on the road against mediocre teams from one bid conferences. Also, you can count on the conference scheduling so as to maximize the number of times that the anticipated top teams in the conference for a given season play each other to increase opportunites for top 50 and top 100 rpi wins.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
re: 2016-17 Davidson Wildcats

Davidson College Wildcats
School: Private (loose affiliation with the Presbyterian Church)
Campus: Davidson, NC
Distance to Barclays Arena-Brooklyn 620 miles
Enrollment: 1,756 Undergraduates
Market: Davidson, NC pop-10,944 - 20 miles north of Charlotte (Charlotte MSA: 1,758,038 - 33rd nationally)
Home: 5,223 seat Belk Arena (on campus)
2012-13 Attendance: averaged 3,941 for 13 games (for 26-8 team)
NCAA Appearances: 12 - 1966, 1968 1969, 1970, 1986, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012, and 2013
NCAA Record: 8-13
Notable NCAA Wins: Rhode Island-1966, St. John’s-1968 & 1969, Villanova-1969, Gonzaga-2008, Georgetown-2008, Wisconsin-2008
NIT Appearances: 5 – 1972, 1994, 1996, 2005, 2009
NIT Record: 3-5
Notable NIT Wins: VCU-2005
Notable Coaches: Bob McKillop, Lefty Driesell, Terry Holland

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
re: 2016-17 Davidson Wildcats

That's an unnecessary comment.

I think everyone knows Davidson is a very good add. Good for Bernadette and the A-10.

Richmond and Davidson should be an excellent rivalry. I look forward to watching that develop.

·
Registered
606 Posts

My comment about moving the tourney south was sarcastic. Given the recent moves by the league, I would hope the league in some way throws a bone to the northern schools.
I'd say the lack of bone-throwing has to do with the lack of any northern mid-major playing basketball worth a damn lately. The last 4 additions to the A10 all had at least an Elite Eight appearance in the last 6 years. The only northeast mid-major to make so much as a Sweet Sixteen during that period was Cornell, and they're obviously not switching conferences.

That said, there are multiple northeast mid-majors with more recent tournament success than College of Charleston.

201 - 220 of 454 Posts